The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I thought it was well produced, and it was interesting to see the behind the scenes of rehab. It would be great if we could do more features like this about other aspects of the club, we have some really talented people in that department.

I agree with the sentiments that this was done to show that he’s not damaged goods. They had his scan on the screen and the doctor saying how good his knee is ffs. This combined with the 10 minute montage of his big move away falling through seemed to be aimed at his future clubs fans more than us. Could have just done a gif with scan > doctor thumbs up > Turnbull wink > burrows phone number.

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Of course. The in game tweets are obviously designed for fans who can't make games.

Given your view was curious to see how many you made to see how many times you might be following games online rather than being there to get some context for your opinion.

I've seen lots of people who don't make too many games say they've given up on the official twitter account completely and follow local newspapers and even on betting sites to try to get a feel for how things are going. That can't be right.

Personally I'd rather have too much information and filter out what isn't relevant than the sparse updates when I can't make it.

There waw also the mooted intention to cater for both preferrences with a "Match Day" service as provided by other clubs but that hasn't materialised yet.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I thought at one point you were going to say "were you at the game caller?" - James Sandison is apparently alive and well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I agree with the sentiments that this was done to show that he’s not damaged goods. They had his scan on the screen and the doctor saying how good his knee is ffs. This combined with the 10 minute montage of his big move away falling through seemed to be aimed at his future clubs fans more than us. Could have just done a gif with scan > doctor thumbs up > Turnbull wink > burrows phone number.

Agreed. They should have ended it with a black screen and white text to the Motherwell Fans reading "This sale will have even more money in the bank and look forward to signing more non-entity lower league English players.... WE GO AGAIN"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScottW1886 said:

The Scottish press have managed to focus only on the Celtic elements of the video and his "heartbreak" over his "dream move" emoji2359.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wonder. 10 minutes of that pish in the video! Dont get me wrong, its very well produced, but at least 28 mins too long. 

Its great to see the club trying to be a little different, but in this case instead of a quality 10 minute video, they have produced a 38 minute begging letter to Celtic! All they really needed to do was post a picture of his repaired knee scan with the caption "Pleeeeease Celtic, give us some money in the summer Pleeeeeeeeease, Pretty Pleeeeease"

18 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It won't be long until Burrows is reenacting the famous scene from the Fyre Festival documentary to get Turnbull to Celtic.

Whoever thought that video was a good idea should be nowhere near Fir Park. 

Still not had yer hole i see.....

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

Great experience for the production team, opportunity to explore their skill set and and up their standards.

Plus seeing behind the scenes is interesting to a number of people 

The most interesting things in the video were the fact that the club apparently knew it was a 9-12 month recovery from his particular issue but felt the need to be all cloak & dagger about that

And the fact he was fucking training at Lennoxtown when he wasnt actually signed. What the fuck was that about? What wouldve happened if he'd jogged and snapped something? Cause theres no fucking way they wouldve given us a penny. Shows just how desperate the club were to please Celtic

The documentary was well-made and it was cool to see "behind the scenes" for sure.

I took two things from it though. Turnbull was desperate to sign for Celtic, and there's next to no chance he'll sign a longer deal with us. 

Strangely, after seeing him and the club gushing about the Celtic interest, him moving on in the summer won't actually bother me as much now. Get as much money as we can and move on.

I suspect the only thing we may end up wondering is whether we should just have taken Celtic's reduced offer last time and let them pay for his rehab, rather than what they offer us next time. Assuming we don't already have gentleman's agreement for a post-rehab fee, which wouldn't surprise me.

(To be clear, I still think we did the right thing.)

Comments on P&B that Turnbull has apparently turned down our contract offer. 

If true and that is a BIG if as only a rumour it is probably no surprise given the time that has past since he was reportedly offered a deal. Just our luck that a player we were going to get £3m + for will probably end up getting half that through no fault of ours. That assumes he is able to prove himself between now and end of season. 

Just hope we have some sort of gentlemen’s agreement with Celtic as otherwise they will do what Celtic do and put an insulting offer on the table. 

That would be a shame for all the obvious reasons.

It was at the first St Mirren cup game that I heard he would be back before the end of the month and that he was going to sign the new contract. First one came true so holding out for the second....!

I want to see him at Fir Park for as long as possible. So if he doesn't sign a new one, and the offers are not great I'd be more than happy to watch him run the team for a season rather than cash in.

Edit: I should add. I was very surprised to hear he was even considering signing it. It's only, understandably, in the clubs interest that he signs it.  

Just now, superward said:

I should add. I was very surprised to hear he was even considering signing it. It's only, understandably, in the clubs interest that he signs it.  

He'll get his move in the summer whether he signs a new deal or not. The only benefit to him of not signing a new deal will be that he'll possibly have a wider choice of potential suitors. The additional money he'd earn from a new contract from now until the summer, whilst a fortune to ordinary folk will be chickfeed to him. On balance though why wouldn't he sign an extended deal?

I'm not so sure he'll 100% be away this summer. He is absolutely dynamite and the club know it. Given we are now debt free if we get an offer of £750k or something I can see the club turning it down and keeping him until his contract expires.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

He'll get his move in the summer whether he signs a new deal or not. The only benefit to him of not signing a new deal will be that he'll possibly have a wider choice of potential suitors.

He'd also stand to make more money via the contract offered and a potential signing bonus. The less the buying club has to pay us, the more they can offer him.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, GazzyB said:

I'm not so sure he'll 100% be away this summer. He is absolutely dynamite and the club know it. Given we are now debt free if we get an offer of £750k or something I can see the club turning it down and keeping him until his contract expires.

There’s a few things that could happen in the Turnbull story. Him leaving on a free is surely not one of them. There’s no way the club is letting one of, if not the biggest playing asset they’ve ever had leave on a free/compo deal. Don’t be silly. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

There’s a few things that could happen in the Turnbull story. Him leaving on a free is surely not one of them. There’s no way the club is letting one of, if not the biggest playing asset they’ve ever had leave on a free/compo deal. Don’t be silly. 

We would still the half million training compensation. 

So it's transfer offer minus compensation versus the value he provides on the pitch in terms of league position and cup runs. If the offer is a million or less it's probably better to keep him.

• Like 1

To me a fairly sensible solution would be something like Celtic giving us a million upfront in the summer, with some very very reachable future incentives- i.e another million once he plays 25 games or Celtic sell him for a profit- to bring it up to the original fee agreed. Should hopefully ensure that Celtic aren't spending £3m on an unknown quantity but we'll still get the planned amount unless he turns out to be totally crocked.

• David locked this topic