The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

46 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

His development fee could be £500K … so that’s him moving on for a fee of £400K … … not for me would rather keep him

Still think a move to the tic is the wrong one for him in the long run

Its his decision but it all about ambition and reaching his goals 

Would you rather be playing in Dingwall or Perth for the 4th time in a season or strutting your stuff at Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates or Etihad

As I say it’s his decision but if I had his ability I know where I would rather be 

I would much rather he moved to England than Celtic, but I can see the logic in it for him.

He is still a young boy so Celtic would offer him the chance to play with better players in a league he knows while testing himself at Champions/Europa League level giving himself more exposure and the chance to move south as an established first team pick, when he is mature enough to handle being away from home and his family.

If he moved now he is still probaly going to be a development player and have to fight his way into any first team. Every player will back themself to do that but it doesnt always work out for them.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would much rather he moved to England than Celtic, but I can see the logic in it for him.

He is still a young boy so Celtic would offer him the chance to play with better players in a league he knows while testing himself at Champions/Europa League level giving himself more exposure and the chance to move south as an established first team pick, when he is mature enough to handle being away from home and his family.

If he moved now he is still probaly going to be a development player and have to fight his way into any first team. Every player will back themself to do that but it doesnt always work out for them.

Don’t disagree with anything you say

BUT  he would still be in the goldfish bowl that is the West of Scotland and all the hassle that goes along with that ( unable to go out and about socially without a minder being 2ft behind him )

As I’ve said previously look at the young boy Gilmour at Chelsea ( younger than Turnbull) if your good enough you’ll make it at any club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Second time the boy has signed an extension when others may have opted to let the contract run out and make more cash elsewhere.

Fair play to him, shows a level of loyalty to the club that is rare these days.

This 100%

The video was still all about whoring him to Celtic. This just means we should get closer to the £3.25m offered last summer

Well done everyone! And especially David Turnbull!!! Showing a degree of loyalty sadly missing from 99.9% of todays players

On 3/8/2020 at 1:16 PM, superward said:

That would be a shame for all the obvious reasons.

It was at the first St Mirren cup game that I heard he would be back before the end of the month and that he was going to sign the new contract. First one came true so holding out for the second....!

I want to see him at Fir Park for as long as possible. So if he doesn't sign a new one, and the offers are not great I'd be more than happy to watch him run the team for a season rather than cash in.

Edit: I should add. I was very surprised to hear he was even considering signing it. It's only, understandably, in the clubs interest that he signs it.  

I should never have doubted my own source. 

Great news.

I was never of the opinion that we were trying to sell him by making the video. It was done (in my opinion) to keep Well fans up to date with his progress and to show the club and physios in a good light and if you listen to what he says in the video he expresses his feeling of being liked and supported by everybody connected with the club  when he needed support. Hardly saying he was desperate to leave. Well done the club and the player for today's decision. 

COYW

• Like 1

Fantastic news and in this day and age great to see loyalty to a club who have stood by him at his lowest moment . Imo he will be a superstar in the game and has many great years ahead of him , so to protect the team that has nurtured him from boyhood by extending a year ,to put us in the same position we were in before his injury  is a testament to the boy . Well done DT well done MFC and I just hope he and Motherwell can have a great  end to the season .

• Like 1

That's absolutely amazing news. The club deserves huge credit for this, as does Turnbull for showing that loyalty. With just 6 games to go this season to 'prove' himself this, we'd have been heading into the summer in a precarious position - do we take the first half decent offer comes in or do we head into the January window with just 6 months left on his contract. That signature could potentially be worth a few million. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic