The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

The great thing for both club and player is that we now take our time to get the best result for all concerned. The best career move for DT and a decent transfer fee for Motherwell FC. No need to rush his return and time for a decent pre-season before he shows his undoubted talents in the early part of next season.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, The African said:

The great thing for both club and player is that we now take our time to get the best result for all concerned. The best career move for DT and a decent transfer fee for Motherwell FC. No need to rush his return and time for a decent pre-season before he shows his undoubted talents in the early part of next season.

Not entirely sure that's all that true to be honest. Us fans will see it as the best move because it means he's not buggering off on the cheap shortly.

If the knee issue he's dealt with shows us anything, it's that the old "strike while the iron is hot" adage is very much applicable to footballers. That he went from signing for Celtic for life-changing money to hobbling around on crutches at Fir Park with the deal in tatters within weeks of each other is a prime example of what can happen to professional athletes.

It can happen to any player, at any time. Which is why I'll never be critical of a Jake Hastie or a Chris Cadden who jumps on a good deal to increase their bank balance as soon as it's available to them. Does it suck for the club and the fans? Aye, but it's not our careers. 

Let's imagine he comes back and he's not the player he looked like becoming. What then? If he suffered from recurring knee issues let's say, that saw him eventually fade from the first team and get released?

Would the fans give a fuck about a 25 year old Davie Turnbull playing for Arbroath? Of course not. We'll be concerned with the next 18 year old Davie Turnbull that the club is producing, or the next talent we're trying to punt for millions.

That Turnbull signed this new deal is highly commendable, and it shows his respect for the club. But his primary concern should always be himself, not the club, and not the fans. The fans aren't paying his mortgage when he's 40 and his career is over.

I wonder what planet fans are living on when I see them saying "aye, Jake Hastie, eh? Signed by Rangers and immediately papped out on loan. Wonder what he's thinking now lol."

He's thinking that he's getting thousands of pounds chucked into his bank account every week for playing football, that's what he'll be thinking. He'll most likely not be thinking "Fuck, I wish I'd stayed at Motherwell on less money."

There's every chance he'll end up back at a club our size permanently when his Rangers deal comes to an end. The only difference will be a few years worth of really good money in his bank account. The lad had a purple patch and he took advantage, as we all would. 

This knee issue with Turnbull will have highlighted how quickly it can all be taken away, so don't be surprised if he leaps on the first really good multi-year contract that comes his way. And who could blame him?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David said:

Not entirely sure that's all that true to be honest. Us fans will see it as the best move because it means he's not buggering off on the cheap shortly.

If the knee issue he's dealt with shows us anything, it's that the old "strike while the iron is hot" adage is very much applicable to footballers. That he went from signing for Celtic for life-changing money to hobbling around on crutches at Fir Park with the deal in tatters within weeks of each other is a prime example of what can happen to professional athletes.

It can happen to any player, at any time. Which is why I'll never be critical of a Jake Hastie or a Chris Cadden who jumps on a good deal to increase their bank balance as soon as it's available to them. Does it suck for the club and the fans? Aye, but it's not our careers. 

Let's imagine he comes back and he's not the player he looked like becoming. What then? If he suffered from recurring knee issues let's say, that saw him eventually fade from the first team and get released?

Would the fans give a fuck about a 25 year old Davie Turnbull playing for Arbroath? Of course not. We'll be concerned with the next 18 year old Davie Turnbull that the club is producing, or the next talent we're trying to punt for millions.

That Turnbull signed this new deal is highly commendable, and it shows his respect for the club. But his primary concern should always be himself, not the club, and not the fans. The fans aren't paying his mortgage when he's 40 and his career is over.

I wonder what planet fans are living on when I see them saying "aye, Jake Hastie, eh? Signed by Rangers and immediately papped out on loan. Wonder what he's thinking now lol."

He's thinking that he's getting thousands of pounds chucked into his bank account every week for playing football, that's what he'll be thinking. He'll most likely not be thinking "Fuck, I wish I'd stayed at Motherwell on less money."

There's every chance he'll end up back at a club our size permanently when his Rangers deal comes to an end. The only difference will be a few years worth of really good money in his bank account. The lad had a purple patch and he took advantage, as we all would. 

This knee issue with Turnbull will have highlighted how quickly it can all be taken away, so don't be surprised if he leaps on the first really good multi-year contract that comes his way. And who could blame him?

My comment regarding the best career move for David Turnbull was referring to what can now happen after the signing of his new contract rather than anything that had happened beforehand. Sorry if that was not clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, Richie said:

The 'second operation' is a bit disingenuous no?

Is it not just routine aftercare?

Sounds like it was going to happen in the summer anyway. And seeing as we don't have any football for the foreseeable future it makes sense to just get it over and done with now.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:49 PM, Richie said:

The 'second operation' is a bit disingenuous no?

Is it not just routine aftercare?

The OF punters don't read stories about routine aftercare. They need to see their team mentioned at least once per paragraph and contain either "despair", "elation', "dream move", "war chest" or "outrage".

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Ex-Gers starlet (came on as a sub in a friendly against Linfield once) and Hoops hit kid (scored a double against Albion Rovers in a testimonial) used to be my favourites.

Just from today's Scotsman - see if you can guess the "star" players from the Headline:

1) Ex-Rangers star blasts Celtic hero over title talk

2) Rumour Mill: Former Rangers star faces the axe from team he left Ibrox for

Answers:

1) Hugh Burns

2) David Bates

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, ropy said:

Is it worth a listen?  Currently listening to Tom English defending his quest for investigations and inquiries.

Yeah I'd say so, comes across as much quieter than a lot of the usual guests on the show but decent listen.

6 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Found the Celtic transfer chat a bit hard to listen to tbh.

I'm getting fed up with it as well...the stick Pearson  got back in the day for wearing a Celtic strip the day before he signed was pretty venomous, yet DT does the same thing, without the actual signing bit, and is still talking about it months later and gets absolutely no flack over it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm getting fed up with it as well...the stick Pearson  got back in the day for wearing a Celtic strip the day before he signed was pretty venomous, yet DT does the same thing, without the actual signing bit, and is still talking about it months later and gets absolutely no flack over it?

Pearson demanded, publically a transfer.  DT didn't.  DT is not talking about it, he's being asked about it.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was as bad as I feared knowing what those programmes are all about and Stu92's forewarning.  They can't be too far off being left with only cleaners and ticket office workers left to interview from Ferry's time at Parkhead.  I've always quite enjoyed Ferry's one-on-one interviews but the shows with Slane and Kyle began to grate pretty quickly.  But without necessarily going into great detail there's a fair bit beyond the transfer - Tony Watt, Stephen Robinson, chat about his progression through the youths and so on.

I can't say I really picked up any change of pitch when Turnbull was talking about the transfer, but to be honest I don't notice any change of pitch when he's excited either.  He does, as he has suggested in a couple of interviews, come across to me as quite chilled and easy oasy about everything good or bad.

If there's any criticism to be levelled about the frequency of discussions of the breakdown of his transfer then perhaps some of that should be directed to Motherwell for the production documentary, which whilst I thought it was excellent, is in no small part a sales tool.  Keeping The Ball on the Ground is a discussion by Old Firm-centric people for a largely Old Firm-centric audience and I think that has to be kept in mind.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic