The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

14 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

They didn't need to pay 1p more than 3.25 as club had made it known 3.25 was enough for Celtic.  Should have held out for more.

They had to accept a bid eventually. Celtic’s starting bid was just over £1million, so getting over £3million would seem a good point to accept that’s as much as you can expect.

As others have said, I doubt there was an official release clause, but perhaps a gentleman’s agreement on a point where club would let him speak to interested parties, after all he signed a new contract when he didn’t have to.

Lennon on SSN confirming Turnbull will have his medical this morning and sign this afternoon.

Good luck to the kid, huge decision for a 19 year old and the last few weeks won’t have been easy. He’ll inevitably end up in England (or abroad) but maybe he saw the jump to Norwich too big at the moment. Rather than potentially being on the fringes of an EPL team that are likely to be battling relegation he can play a central role in Celtic winning 10 IAR. Then with plenty of goals and a few medals under his belt, he may be ready for an established EPL team at the age of 21. 

• Like 1

Maybe Turnbull did not want to move at this stage, as he was guaranteed to play every game,but realised that the transfer fee was huge for us, so has reluctantly decided to move on. His options seem limited for continually to play every 1st team game and has decided celtic might be best at current time.

If he signs for Sellik then I hope our fans don't give him abuse in first game of season.  We are not exactly renowned for giving former players a warm welcome. Some deserve it but others who were loyal servants got pelters.   Mind you most players that leave us get re-signed!!!!! Heh he

I am definitely disappointed he is going to celtic but I can see why he can see himself playing more football there than he would at Norwich, the step up to the premier league is huge. I think working under Lennon and Kennedy is a backwards step but winning trophies, playing in Europe in front of 60,000 and undoubtedly being called up to Scotland squads from now on is more appealing than potentially playing 90 minutes against Oldham in the Carabao cup. I will certainly be watching how his career pans out wishing him all the best. Now lets turn out the next youngster.

34 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Maybe Turnbull did not want to move at this stage, as he was guaranteed to play every game,but realised that the transfer fee was huge for us, so has reluctantly decided to move on. His options seem limited for continually to play every 1st team game and has decided celtic might be best at current time.

Think you might be right mate. 

29 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Nonsense.  The boy could have left in the summer for a sixth of what he earned us.  

True. Boys done well by the club and wish him well. He sacrificed a large signing on fee and club got more. We have seen a few well players move on to Celtic and back and should keep good working relations with them. May be chance of getting Morgan on Loan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

They had to accept a bid eventually. Celtic’s starting bid was just over £1million, so getting over £3million would seem a good point to accept that’s as much as you can expect.

As others have said, I doubt there was an official release clause, but perhaps a gentleman’s agreement on a point where club would let him speak to interested parties, after all he signed a new contract when he didn’t have to.

Fair point. Turnbull. Like many younger scottish guys may not fancy up rooting family and going to south of England also. Playing at Celtic means he will get more game time and probably dont even need to move home. Just buy a nicer car.

All this is far from magnificent. Most of us are using conjecture and second guessing how conversations have gone. What is important, we don't know what's been said to David and what assurances if any have been made by any interested party.

I do think he should have confidence in his ability, so far he has delivered on that front. You have to ask are Norwich interested in paying 3m for him as "why not?" or they really do think he could add something in the future. In terms of that league it is small change but in terms of that club in that league it is a decent investment. He should also have confidence in his own ability to go down there and break through. By no means will it be easy and it is a big step up, he goes from a big fish in a small pond to a wee fish in the EPL ocean.

Jake Hastie cashed in for 5k a week and may never play again but will be set for life by his early 20's with 750k in the bank.

Going to Celtic will sit badly with many, personally I see it as a step up but not the fulfilling the one he is capable of. Lennon does not strike me as a nurturing manager. It will be hard to see him in green and white but tempered when I recall his actions and performances to net the club our record fee.

I expect we'll see him in C&A again in 10 or so years time in a Faddy-esque swansong.

54 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I am definitely disappointed he is going to celtic but I can see why he can see himself playing more football there than he would at Norwich, the step up to the premier league is huge. I think working under Lennon and Kennedy is a backwards step but winning trophies, playing in Europe in front of 60,000 and undoubtedly being called up to Scotland squads from now on is more appealing than potentially playing 90 minutes against Oldham in the Carabao cup. I will certainly be watching how his career pans out wishing him all the best. Now lets turn out the next youngster.

It wasn't but a week ago that most people were saying he'd likely not be a shoe-in for regular first team football at Celtic. I still think that's the case. In fact, if you look at Celtic's midfield and compare it with Norwich's midfield I think Celtic have the better players.

I also don't buy this notion that playing a few games in Europe for Celtic is more of a selling point than playing against some of Europe's best on a regular basis. I had this same discussion with a Celtic supporting mate this morning.

He said "Aye, but Norwich can't offer European football. Imagine playing against one or two of the biggest teams in Europe depending on if we get to the group stages and who we get in the draw."

Some of the biggest teams in Europe? Like Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Manchester United, Arsenal, and Chelsea? You mean the teams he'd be lining up against during a regular season in England? The same teams that Celtic would hope to get in the draw should they make it to the group stages of the Champions League?

Unless the boy has went down there and quickly realised that he's not got what it takes at the moment to make a dent at that level I find this to be a strange situation. A move to Celtic is seen as a potential stepping stone to the big time of the Premiership by many players. Turnbull had the chance to bypass the stepping stone and go straight to the big time, working with a top, up & coming coach in Farke, earning more money, and getting the chance to test yourself against some of the best in the game on a near weekly basis. 

Even if he went to Norwich and it didn't work out, and he left in a few years time, he'd more than likely come out of the experience as a much better footballer than he will be if he stays in Scotland as part of a club that basically steamrollers 99% of the competition. 

He'll now go to Celtic, and if he does really well he may eventually earn a move to a lower end Premiership club....like Norwich? Yeah, fuck knows what he's thinking, but good luck to the lad whatever he does.

• Like 1

I never actually thought of it in terms of playing against these clubs on a weekly basis, but there is absolutely a pull about playing european football. it's all ifs buts and maybes, at the moment.

3 million in the bank, some great times watching him in what was very short lived. Good luck to him, just not against us. Hopefully he balloons a penalty over the bar in the last minute to which he sticks the finger up to Lennon, unveils his motherwell kit and signs for 10 years.

Just now, Neilwell86 said:

I never actually thought of it in terms of playing against these clubs on a weekly basis, but there is absolutely a pull about playing european football. it's all ifs buts and maybes, at the moment.

If I was given the choice of maybe playing against a top side or two in Europe if my team made it past 105 qualifiers first, or playing against some of the best clubs in Europe, against some of the best players in the world on a regular basis I know what I'd be choosing.

As I said, it could be that he simply doesn't quite have the confidence in his own abilities, which is a shame. 

Or, whisper it, maybe he's not as highly thought of as we all assumed. There was hardly the influx of bids for him that most of us assumed would be incoming. No doubt after a few good years at Celtic we'll be told how he's one of the best midfielders in Europe and that some huge clubs are watching him, before he eventually signs for Norwich or Southampton.

25 minutes ago, David said:

It wasn't but a week ago that most people were saying he'd likely not be a shoe-in for regular first team football at Celtic. I still think that's the case. In fact, if you look at Celtic's midfield and compare it with Norwich's midfield I think Celtic have the better players.

I also don't buy this notion that playing a few games in Europe for Celtic is more of a selling point than playing against some of Europe's best on a regular basis. I had this same discussion with a Celtic supporting mate this morning.

He said "Aye, but Norwich can't offer European football. Imagine playing against one or two of the biggest teams in Europe depending on if we get to the group stages and who we get in the draw."

Some of the biggest teams in Europe? Like Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Manchester United, Arsenal, and Chelsea? You mean the teams he'd be lining up against during a regular season in England? The same teams that Celtic would hope to get in the draw should they make it to the group stages of the Champions League?

Unless the boy has went down there and quickly realised that he's not got what it takes at the moment to make a dent at that level I find this to be a strange situation. A move to Celtic is seen as a potential stepping stone to the big time of the Premiership by many players. Turnbull had the chance to bypass the stepping stone and go straight to the big time, working with a top, up & coming coach in Farke, earning more money, and getting the chance to test yourself against some of the best in the game on a near weekly basis. 

Even if he went to Norwich and it didn't work out, and he left in a few years time, he'd more than likely come out of the experience as a much better footballer than he will be if he stays in Scotland as part of a club that basically steamrollers 99% of the competition. 

He'll now go to Celtic, and if he does really well he may eventually earn a move to a lower end Premiership club....like Norwich? Yeah, fuck knows what he's thinking, but good luck to the lad whatever he does.

The stepping stone may be of benefit to Turnbull. To date he hasn’t played under any real pressure so that will be a learning curve in itself. He me also be attracted to having the likes of Brown, Tierney and McGregor who will welcome him in, recognising that David is central to their future success. My only reservation is Lennon, who is primarily interested in winning as opposed to nurturing talent like his predecessor. 

As an aside, he’ll walk straight into this current Celtic midfield which was on the wane last season. If he hits the ground running, he’ll have minimum 15 goals by Christmas, probably more. 

• David locked this topic