The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

I suspect there is nothing to see here and it will all pan out as suspected, boy signs for Celtic.

If this situation had followed the same sort of timeline and protocol that the vast majority of other transfers do then I'd agree with your first point, but it hasn't. 

There's still every chance that he ends up a Celtic player, but there's definitely something not quite right at the moment. Virtually everything points towards that being the case. Not that it's something disruptive enough to cause the deal to collapse, but to say there's nothing to see here seems a tad naive.

1 hour ago, jim64 said:

Technically he’s still a well player and as such should be with squad in Ireland, I can see them pulling out of deal citing medical reasons. That’s just my opinion though 

I think Celtic are messing him about because he knocked them back earlier. It makes you think why would you sign for them if that is the way they work. Are Norwich still in the reckoning?

I thought maybe the deal had been pulled after the leaked images and the deal hadn’t been announced over the weekend so it made me wonder. However after speaking to one of his family members he pretty much said it’s a done deal and were just waiting on the medical and Norwich actually offered 5k extra a week but no guarantee over game time. Meanwhile the situation regarding the Celtic deal and medical may have changed as this was yesterday morning.

1 hour ago, real dosser said:

Today's record saying he is back in Manchester for a second scan.       ,????  Scan of what. Looking for a way of dropping the price perchance. 

Anything less than 3 million + will be a red neck for Burrows and very surprised that a guy that loves the media hasn't put out anything about why the deal is taking so long . Remember the club doesn't need to sell him 

You are so out of touch its mesmerising. He's on 800-1,000 a week, Celtic are offering north of 10k and Norwich for an earlier post offered  north of 15k. He sees Hastie on 4.5 to 5k at Ibrox. While we could in theory keep him here until the summer of 2021 we'd have someone very unhappy at that and £1m down on where he would have been. Would you be thrilled and give 100% knowing that .... very much doubt it.

It is important that the club as part of their marketing to players convey they won't stand in their way if the right offer comes in to let them progress. The right offer did come in and therefore he's off.

24 minutes ago, Yodo said:

...very surprised that a guy that loves the media hasn't put out anything about why the deal is taking so long .

He did. Flow explained it was due to the availability of scanning equipment at Rosshall and the process was delayed because they had to go to Manchester instead. Medicals can take time as the buying club need to ensure that what they are paying 3M+ for isn’t going to ‘breakdown’  long term due to a hidden medical issue. 

43 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

You are so out of touch its mesmerising. He's on 800-1,000 a week, Celtic are offering north of 10k and Norwich for an earlier post offered  north of 15k. He sees Hastie on 4.5 to 5k at Ibrox. While we could in theory keep him here until the summer of 2021 we'd have someone very unhappy at that and £1m down on where he would have been. Would you be thrilled and give 100% knowing that .... very much doubt it.

Would we? If Celtic started playing funny buggers with the fee that they agreed previously, you think Turnbull would throw a strop if we don't accept it? You don't think he'd knuckle down and see what else comes up this window, or in January?

That last sentence is also calling into question his professionalism. I've seen nothing to suggest he'd act in that way.

• Like 2

God knows what is going on but something seems not quite what it should be. 

It looks like Gary Mackay Steven signed for New York City in less time that it is taking for Turnbull to be officially unveiled as a Celtic player. 

I don’t know if having a second scan is normal if that is what is happening or if something abnormal has shown up from initial scan. 

I would still prefer he went anywhere than to Celtic (not Rangers), but not if jeopardises a £3m+ windfall for the club. 

Whole thing is just dragging out....

53 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I would still prefer he went anywhere than to Celtic (not Rangers), but not if jeopardises a £3m+ windfall for the club. 

I would still prefer he stayed with us for another year, personally. 

This has just been posted on Kerrydale St.

I’m not in the know in any way shape or form. My colleague is a Motherwell fan who is friends with David Turnbull's brother.
He says that there is a medical issue with his knee which will require him to be out for 6 months. He said it is a knee flap issue.
He said he was down south yesterday for the MRI.

I’ve not a clue if this is true. I hope it’s not but he seems confident this is the case. Says the source is his brother.

Might be shite, might not be but if there isn't any news today then something is definitely amiss.

2 hours ago, David said:

Would we? If Celtic started playing funny buggers with the fee that they agreed previously, you think Turnbull would throw a strop if we don't accept it? You don't think he'd knuckle down and see what else comes up this window, or in January?

That last sentence is also calling into question his professionalism. I've seen nothing to suggest he'd act in that way.

Oh geez peace you sanctimonious clown. We've had this argument already way back.

Would we what? There is nothing in what I wrote that satisfies that response. Read my post again, it was highlighting that Yodo suggesting we hold onto him (which contractually we could be able to do) he would no doubt be unhappy that the club stood in the way of a higher career move and a massive wage increase.

As for questioning his "his" professionalism, I think you'll find I did nothing of the sort, I questioned Yodo's and asking for a something from Turnbull he'd unlikely approve for himself. With reference directly to the player I said he'd be unhappy which I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to disagree with.

If I was on 1k a week and 10x was a heartbeat away then naturally every single one of us would be miffed. None of us know if Celtic's concerns are genuine, over the top or to beat down the price. Regardless, they raised concerns if they do pull out with any other interested party and may dampen alternative interest. If it is the latter then they have nefariously and adversely affected MFC's prized asset.

Just to remind you, we live in a capitalist society, jealousy and greed is what drives the vast majority. Bigger house, better car than the neighbours, better bird than the mates one etc. To suggest its not a factor is to assume we live in some utopian society which everyone knows we do not.

As a moderator you really should know better and refrain from putting words in someone's mouth and basing posts on your inferences.

• Haha 1

On a side note, with Celtics spat with WBA highlighting further Lennons seemingly poor treatment and management of a young player it’s again seeming to me a poor choice for the lad.

A few Hibs fans I know don’t seem to think he was well liked amongst the younger players or has been known for developing them well either. 

Just hope that he kicks on and doesn’t stagnate under a shite coach & manager. 

Right now I just want the money so we can all take turns diving into it.

Like Hastie, he’s young enough and talented enough to recover from a couple of lucrative years in an OF reserve team if that’s what happens.

What I don’t understand is Turnbull’s ambition re his development

Norwich couldn’t guarantee him the game time that he was looking for but I’m sure he would have been loaned to the appropriate club so that he was getting the game time that Norwich wanted for him ( probably at a higher level than what he is at the moment) The boy Maddison is a prime example where he was sent to Aberdeen then went back to Norwich became a star with them the got a great move to Leicester for big bucks

Who would you rather be coached by for your future development Daniel Farke, Edmund Riemer, Christopher John, Chris Domogalla 

Three of whom served their apprenticeship under Juergen Klopp at Dortmund OR Neil Lennon, John Kennedy or Stevie Woods 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic