sailor_h

The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Arsenal are famous for not chucking money around - but if they could have had Tierney for £3.5 million before preventative knee surgery, I'm pretty sure they would have taken him. 

But that is why I said we need to agree to disagree. 

Tierney was never priced at £3.5 million though, was he? My point is, he's clearly one of the better defenders in the British game yet Arsenal aren't prepared to just chuck around the money needed to get him. Neither is any other English club by the looks of it. Much like Turnbull, the asking price for Tierney is pretty well known.

Am I the only one who would like to see David sign the contract he's been offered? He might as well get the increased salary, because when he returns, and plays like he can, and someone offers the right money, he'll get his big money move, because Motherwell won't stand in his way.

13 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Am I the only one who would like to see David sign the contract he's been offered? He might as well get the increased salary, because when he returns, and plays like he can, and someone offers the right money, he'll get his big money move, because Motherwell won't stand in his way.

I think pretty much every Motherwell supporter on the planet would like to see him sign a new contract on improved terms. 

I take it’s just going to stick with what he’s already on, get fit and playing again, and move to Celtic in January. 

To be honest who knows. I saw him on the crutches yesterday so it does look like a few months out of the game. 

Ideally we would like him to get back in the team kick on from last season and hope someone else comes in and ups the bidding. Of course that will only happen if he reaches the heights from end of last season, which we all hope he does.  

The contract is a little strange and I hope it does not suggest some animosity towards the club. At the end of the day Celtic took the original offer off the table after the knee problem came to light. None of this had anything to do with Motherwell FC.  If he is on say £600 per week and we offer to double or triple that for an extra year . Why not take it?  All being well he will be offski in Jan or end of next season in any case and this way he gets more money. 

It may be any delay is simply down to negotiations or he is not going to sign. His and his agents prerogative. 

We shall see what transpires. Anyway we have Liam goal machine Donnelly to help fill the void for now. He has stepped up in pre season and been a very welcome and positive surprise. 

Was he ever actually offered an improved deal? Other than one article in the Sun (I think) I haven't seen anything mentioned elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic already have an arrangement where they will sign Turbull once he is back to fitness. In which case, signing a new contract isn't really an option. 

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic already have an arrangement where they will sign Turbull once he is back to fitness. In which case, signing a new contract isn't really an option. 

I was pretty much thinking the same myself, he’s going out of his way to “like” Celtic tweets. I started to wonder at that point if this was simply a delay to the deal.

41 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I was pretty much thinking the same myself, he’s going out of his way to “like” Celtic tweets. 

He really isn't though - is he 

22 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

He really isn't though - is he 

Is he not ? Stated on here only recently that he was.

25 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Is he not ? Stated on here only recently that he was.

I wouldn't know as I don't follow him but I'm told the vast majority of 'Celtic related' tweets he has liked have been messages to him from Celtic supporters wishing him a speedy recovery and happy birthday on his birthday.. 

13 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I wouldn't know as I don't follow him but I'm told the vast majority of 'Celtic related' tweets he has liked have been messages to him from Celtic supporters wishing him a speedy recovery and happy birthday on his birthday.. 

No need to follow him, his favourites are public for all to see, should you care: https://twitter.com/10DavidTurnbull/likes?lang=en

53 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You'd be correct.  

Amazes me that folk are still trying to second guess Turnbull after the 6 u-turns and month long transfer saga  :lol:

Just give up and enjoy the ride by this point.

I see McGinn has just signed a 5 year contract with Villa. Not getting a move to Celtic was probably the best thing that happened to his career.

• Like 1