Jump to content

sailor_h

The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

108 members have voted

  1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Arsenal are famous for not chucking money around - but if they could have had Tierney for £3.5 million before preventative knee surgery, I'm pretty sure they would have taken him. 

But that is why I said we need to agree to disagree. 

Tierney was never priced at £3.5 million though, was he? My point is, he's clearly one of the better defenders in the British game yet Arsenal aren't prepared to just chuck around the money needed to get him. Neither is any other English club by the looks of it. Much like Turnbull, the asking price for Tierney is pretty well known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who would like to see David sign the contract he's been offered? He might as well get the increased salary, because when he returns, and plays like he can, and someone offers the right money, he'll get his big money move, because Motherwell won't stand in his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Am I the only one who would like to see David sign the contract he's been offered? He might as well get the increased salary, because when he returns, and plays like he can, and someone offers the right money, he'll get his big money move, because Motherwell won't stand in his way.

I think pretty much every Motherwell supporter on the planet would like to see him sign a new contract on improved terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it’s just going to stick with what he’s already on, get fit and playing again, and move to Celtic in January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest who knows. I saw him on the crutches yesterday so it does look like a few months out of the game. 

Ideally we would like him to get back in the team kick on from last season and hope someone else comes in and ups the bidding. Of course that will only happen if he reaches the heights from end of last season, which we all hope he does.  

The contract is a little strange and I hope it does not suggest some animosity towards the club. At the end of the day Celtic took the original offer off the table after the knee problem came to light. None of this had anything to do with Motherwell FC.  If he is on say £600 per week and we offer to double or triple that for an extra year . Why not take it?  All being well he will be offski in Jan or end of next season in any case and this way he gets more money. 

It may be any delay is simply down to negotiations or he is not going to sign. His and his agents prerogative. 

We shall see what transpires. Anyway we have Liam goal machine Donnelly to help fill the void for now. He has stepped up in pre season and been a very welcome and positive surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was he ever actually offered an improved deal? Other than one article in the Sun (I think) I haven't seen anything mentioned elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic already have an arrangement where they will sign Turbull once he is back to fitness. In which case, signing a new contract isn't really an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic already have an arrangement where they will sign Turbull once he is back to fitness. In which case, signing a new contract isn't really an option. 

I was pretty much thinking the same myself, he’s going out of his way to “like” Celtic tweets. I started to wonder at that point if this was simply a delay to the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I was pretty much thinking the same myself, he’s going out of his way to “like” Celtic tweets. 

He really isn't though - is he 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

He really isn't though - is he 

Is he not ? Stated on here only recently that he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Is he not ? Stated on here only recently that he was.

I wouldn't know as I don't follow him but I'm told the vast majority of 'Celtic related' tweets he has liked have been messages to him from Celtic supporters wishing him a speedy recovery and happy birthday on his birthday.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I wouldn't know as I don't follow him but I'm told the vast majority of 'Celtic related' tweets he has liked have been messages to him from Celtic supporters wishing him a speedy recovery and happy birthday on his birthday.. 

No need to follow him, his favourites are public for all to see, should you care: https://twitter.com/10DavidTurnbull/likes?lang=en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I wouldn't know as I don't follow him but I'm told the vast majority of 'Celtic related' tweets he has liked have been messages to him from Celtic supporters wishing him a speedy recovery and happy birthday on his birthday.. 

You'd be correct.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazes me that folk are still trying to second guess Turnbull after the 6 u-turns and month long transfer saga  :lol:

Just give up and enjoy the ride by this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see McGinn has just signed a 5 year contract with Villa. Not getting a move to Celtic was probably the best thing that happened to his career.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching that shambolic (apart for first 15 mins) performance of Scotland last night, I was just thinking that the values of the “so called” superstars for us namely McBurnie £20m, Fraser supposed to be valued between £30-£40 m and even Robertson and I hate to think what his value is nowadays, so I am thinking that DT’s value of £3.25 m is a steal, I am probably biased but I just hope is value will be worth more when he returns?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

After watching that shambolic (apart for first 15 mins) performance of Scotland last night, I was just thinking that the values of the “so called” superstars for us namely McBurnie £20m, Fraser supposed to be valued between £30-£40 m and even Robertson and I hate to think what his value is nowadays, so I am thinking that DT’s value of £3.25 m is a steal, I am probably biased but I just hope is value will be worth more when he returns?

It's a steal, but also a risk - albeit a small risk from what we have seen with Turnbull. He hasn't played a full season in the Scottish Premiership yet and it's not unheard of for a player to have an outstanding year when he's 19 or 20 and then disappear off the radar.

While I have no doubt Turnbull can perform at a high level, so far he's not had the chance to prove it. (Turning down a chance of EPL football also raises a legitimate question about confidence to play at that level). Fraser on the other hand has proven EPL ability and experience.

The money paid in England is ridiculous, however and the billions generated is mostly spent on players rather than improving the experience (and prices) for fans. If you divide any transfer fee paid by an English club by about 10, that is the realistic fee you can expect in Scotland.

If he does maintain his form and rate of improvement, he could easily be sold for 20 or 30 million to an English team in a few years time. That is why we need to get the add-ons built in to that transfer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A year and a half ago I suggested Dicky Tait for Scotland and got laughed at. After watching Stephen O'Donnell last night I don't think it was such a bad suggestion.  I know o'Donnell is a wishaw lad but out his depth last night.....but not as bad as catweasle mcburnie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dickie Tait hasn't even been our best full-back this season far less being of international standard, regardless of how poor the current incumbents may be for Scotland.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

A year and a half ago I suggested Dicky Tait for Scotland and got laughed at. After watching Stephen O'Donnell last night I don't think it was such a bad suggestion.  I know o'Donnell is a wishaw lad but out his depth last night.....but not as bad as catweasle mcburnie 

18 months ago I thought he deserved a shot as well. Since then though he has lost quite a bit more pace, in my opinion, which would just see him roasted at a level above us I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Motherwell player anywhere near full internationals for Scotland is a fully fit and performing David Turnbull. There’s a hell of a powerful claret and amber lenses being worn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

The only Motherwell player anywhere near full internationals for Scotland is a fully fit and performing David Turnbull. There’s a hell of a powerful claret and amber lenses being worn

Don’t you think that Gallagher could do a job for Scotland?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Don’t you think that Gallagher could do a job for Scotland?

 

Is he decent - well yes he is. But let’s not forget he was 2nd best defender at Livingston last season. Halkett isn’t even an international class defender and he’s ahead of Gallagher in the queue. Don’t recall much clamour for either of them last season when they were at livi. Neither of them have suddenly improved tenfold and suddenly become anything more than spfl premier level defenders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Is he decent - well yes he is. But let’s not forget he was 2nd best defender at Livingston last seasonĺ. Halkett isn’t even an international class defender and he’s ahead of Gallagher in the queue. Don’t recall much clamour for either of them last season when they were at livi. Neither of them have suddenly improved tenfold and suddenly become anything more than spfl premier level defenders

"International class defender" - in fact "international class anything" is the dumbest statement you can say about a player.  What us International class when the level runs from Belgium to San Marino?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×