The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish, the club always needs money  to clear debts, improve the stadium, develop more Turnbull's etc etc so all they have done is maximise the return on a very sellable asset. 

The only pish, is the pish you're spouting. No need to do anything at this time. They certainly haven't maximised any return on our most sellable asset, they've accepted the first offer that's come along, how that can be construed as "maximising our return", is beyond me. Wait and see what pans out with other potential buyers, then you are maximising our return.

Just now, Well Well said:

This is my feeling, Bought my first season ticket in years few weeks ago. I knew he would be sold, but to our rivals..!! I would rather we got bugger all than sell to that mob. God ANYONE but them

Yes that’s one ‘WHAT IF?’ ad you won’t be seeing on our official media. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

The only pish, is the pish you're spouting. No need to do anything at this time.

Unless, of course, we agreed a fee in principle with the player when he signed his new deal? I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is that any club who bid a pre-agreed amount are then given permission to speak to the player.

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

There's clearly a release clause in his contract. Many other clubs will meet it and there's almost no chance he'll go to Celtic.

I hope. 

If there is an official release clause then you would usually get it at once and no extras or there isn't one.  I can't see Celtic meeting the release clause and adding extras...

1 minute ago, David said:

Unless, of course, we agreed a fee in principle with the player when he signed his new deal? I wouldn't be surprised if the situation is that any club who bid a pre-agreed amount are then given permission to speak to the player.

Possibly mate - emotions - mine in particular are running sky high at the moment. 

Regardless of where he goes, it looks like we're getting the much-touted £3 million, and then some add-ons apparently.

That's going to change the game for us as a club, and that's something that's more important than one player.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, David said:

Regardless of where he goes, it looks like we're getting the much-touted £3 million, and then some add-ons apparently.

That's going to change the game for us as a club, and that's something that's more important than one player.

I usually agree but I don't want us selling to them, don't care if we are a business and need to sell...not to them, that hurts more than selling the player. I don't care about the benefits I would rather take a million less and sell him to anyone else but them

Anyone but them!

An absolutely scandalous decision and the club may well have underestimated the depth of disgust amongst the support if it comes to pass.

Of course we all know we are a selling club but if we can’t even enjoy the players we produce for even one full season I can’t help but think “what’s the fucking point?”

Bet he goes straight into the next Scotland  squad now.

When Turnbull signed his new contract, a release clause was obviously agreed. Motherwell have since been fairly public on our strategy. Credit to Celtic, they’ve obviously learned from the McGinn saga and have offered the requested amount without messing us about. 

It remains to be seen if David actually  signs for Celtic. Personally, I think his development would be better suited to a Bournemouth/Southampton and that would obviously benefit Motherwell with regards future sell on value. Nevertheless, I wish him all the best whatever he chooses and I can’t wait to see him starring for the national team. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, milo said:

Of course we all know we are a selling club but if we can’t even enjoy the players we produce for even one full season I can’t help but think “what’s the fucking point?”

That's down to Robinson to be fair.

3 minutes ago, milo said:

Anyone but them!

An absolutely scandalous decision and the club may well have underestimated the depth of disgust amongst the support if it comes to pass.

Bet he goes straight into the next Scotland  squad now.

It would be hard to see many Motherwell fans paying in to watch us play this mob with David playing against us. I was considering a return, but no way now. If David goes down south, he will make more money, and have such a better quality of life. None of the old squirm pish, I hate those bastards.

23 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

The only pish, is the pish you're spouting. No need to do anything at this time. They certainly haven't maximised any return on our most sellable asset, they've accepted the first offer that's come along, how that can be construed as "maximising our return", is beyond me. Wait and see what pans out with other potential buyers, then you are maximising our return.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m gutted we’ve accepted an offer from them but your post is nonsense. We quite publicy rejected two offers last week - Barnsley and Celtic - and the announcent tonight says we’ve ‘rejected  several 7-figure offers in recent weeks’, so we’ve clearly not accepted the first offer that’s come along. 

Just now, Dezz said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m gutted we’ve accepted an offer from them but your post is nonsense. We quite publicy rejected two offers last week - Barnsley and Celtic - and the announcent tonight says we’ve ‘rejected  several 7-figure offers in recent weeks’, so we’ve clearly not accepted the first offer that’s come along. 

Fuckin pedant

2 minutes ago, Dezz said:

Either that or it was agreed last week and all the twitter shite was staged to make the club look less pathetic.

• David locked this topic