The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Wtf is the point in selling him so soon when the summer transfers has only started down south.I am so pissed off right now really no need to sell him right now I question this deal.

I really think it's a bad bit of business I don't care what the club come out with.

If the deal goes through, I suspect the timing of it will work in the club’s favour. Early bird season tickets have already been completed and there’s a relatively long time before the start of the league season, in which tempers may cool. 

Mine probably won’t :lol:

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Why would shareholders be rubbing their hands?

never mind, it was a sideways dig at the way the club have done this piece of business which it basically is a business deal. In business these decisions always seem to benefit the shareholders more than the fans. I know we are a fan owned club but should have made my point more obvious. We just seem to be in a mad rush to get the debt out the way as quickly as possible no matter how we do it. We could have taken more time to have such a great player in our team. 

Best talent we have had in a long long long while can't even ride out the summer transfer window lmao total sin we get to see him for one full season.No excuses unless we were going under tomorrow and shit had to be paid.

The more I think about this the more I hope Burrows is playing a blinder . We want £3 million so if we say that to everyone then we must accept any bids at that amount . Celtic do it and right away he announces it before Turnbull gets involved , if he waited till after could have been done and dusted .If there is any other teams genuinely interested they will come in and match offer then it’s up to Turnbull to decide , if no one comes in then we get the price we wanted anyway and will be the most we could have got as nobody else would have matched the 3 mil . Can only hope but until he’s signed on dotted line I won’t be giving up on a better outcome .

3 mil is robbery. Even seen a few posts on Celtic website that cant believe hey got him so soon for so less.  Very poor indeed. There was lots of interest in England about to bid. Also lost Hastie to sevco for a lot less than hes worth. Don't care where he went but he's worth a lot more. Take it Burrows dont play poker. Never deal with first cards.

2 minutes ago, wellowell said:

The more I think about this the more I hope Burrows is playing a blinder . We want £3 million so if we say that to everyone then we must accept any bids at that amount . Celtic do it and right away he announces it before Turnbull gets involved , if he waited till after could have been done and dusted .If there is any other teams genuinely interested they will come in and match offer then it’s up to Turnbull to decide , if no one comes in then we get the price we wanted anyway and will be the most we could have got as nobody else would have matched the 3 mil . Can only hope but until he’s signed on dotted line I won’t be giving up on a better outcome . 

It's a done deal. There were people saying it was getting announced this week on Celtic forums at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Agree with this. It’s very unlike Motherwell to announce thing publicly before it’s a done deal. 

All this angst and sudden outpouring of animosity towards the board and club because we sold a player we all knew would never start the new season in a well shirt.

Does anyone really think if we had waited till transfer deadline day we would suddenly get a £5 million bid for Turnbull from a top English team, or would it be the same as we have now, let's be honest  there was never going to be a bidding war. 

So what difference does it make selling him now or 6 weeks from now, when there might not have been a deal on the table.

If the figures are to be believed it's a club record transfer fee, with good add-ons, that could see the club debt free and on a stable financial footing for years to come, and there are still people moaning about it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Katie said:

If the deal goes through, I suspect the timing of it will work in the club’s favour. Early bird season tickets have already been completed and there’s a relatively long time before the start of the league season, in which tempers may cool. 

Mine probably won’t :lol:

No as far as I’m concerned ,I never renewed mine and the way I’m feeling I won’t be  ,in fact I won’t be back for a while  ... if they ARE selling him tae Celtic . This would also apply if it was Rangers.  

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's a done deal. There were people saying it was getting announced this week on Celtic forums at the weekend.

My Celtic supporting colleagues in work are confirming it's a done deal, they all seem to be delighted with the deal.

No idea what clauses were in the 2 and a half year deal he signed but it's worth bearing in mind that during January the rumours were that his agent didn't want him to sign any extension with us. If that had happened Turnbull would also be walking away in the same way as Hastie,  leaving us with either a development fee or, worse still, wondering what we'd end up with from an SPFL tribunal. 

In that instance just getting £3million and add-ons would have seemed like a bit of a  result!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

All this angst and sudden outpouring of animosity towards the board and club because we sold a player we all knew would never start the new season in a well shirt.

Does anyone really think if we had waited till transfer deadline day we would suddenly get a £5 million bid for Turnbull from a top English team, or would it be the same as we have now, let's be honest  there was never going to be a bidding war. 

So what difference does it make selling him now or 6 weeks from now, when there might not have been a deal on the table.

If the figures are to be believed it's a club record transfer fee, with good add-ons, that could see the club debt free and on a stable financial footing for years to come, and there are still people moaning about it. 

I suspect the club won't announce the fee.

Selling him to a club who's fans regularly wreck our ground, who's players cheat us and who's manager publicly castigated Bowman, James Scott and Burrows in the middle of June is ridiculous. There should be a Celtic premium for all the shite we have to put up with from them over the past two years.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Unless there is a release clause, then yes in my eyes it's a gamble worth taking. As weeyin consistently points out - there is no pressing reason to sell to reduce the existing debt. We are in a good place financially at the moment - the board should have stood firm, if there wasn't a release clause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelman1991 said:

The only pish, is the pish you're spouting. No need to do anything at this time. They certainly haven't maximised any return on our most sellable asset, they've accepted the first offer that's come along, how that can be construed as "maximising our return", is beyond me. Wait and see what pans out with other potential buyers, then you are maximising our return.

I thought they had already turned down other offers ? 1.2 to 2 million mentioned. If it’s 3 million plus add ons it’s what many on here though was fair. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic