Jump to content

sailor_h

The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

113 members have voted

  1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

So what you might say and in all honesty I care less than most will if it continues, but he is still a Motherwell player and I would feel same way if it was any Well player liking tweets of our rivals. Hartley liking tweets about Hartlepool for example are completely different. 

The club has a social media policy for its employees afaik, and I’m sure if he’s doing anything that’s considered in breach of that, somebody will have a wee chat with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point was mainly tongue in cheek, but the amount of Celtic content he's liked and the number of tweets from their fans saying they'll see him in January or similar he's also liked, would suggest that his head may very well still be along the M74.

The media have already seized on his 'likes' when the move was going ahead so I wouldn't be surprised if they do so again if Celtic need the pressure put back on publicly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as the minutiae of social media doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things, he should probably know better than to get involved in those kinds of games. He's a Motherwell player, we're still paying his wages, and I assume we're footing the bill for him to see specialists and whatnot, so it's common courtesy to leave shit like that well alone for the time being.

If and when he signs for Celtic he can like and retweet Celtic-related pish all day long if he chooses to, but someone should probably be having a quiet word with him. If he thinks that what he's doing goes unnoticed by fans of both clubs and the media then he's incredibly naive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Has there been any news on when he will return to light training, expected return etc.

I don't think even a fit DT would make it into this current all-conquering side.......

Oct 8th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take it the increased contract we were supposed to be offering hasn't come to anything then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BobWilson (Anchorman) said:

I don't think even a fit DT would make it into this current all-conquering side.......

Oct 8th.

I reserve judgement on that until after the game at Parkhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Newcastle will possibly be interested in DT come January/end of season now that Bruce is their manager. I only say this because Wednesday seemed interested pre-Norwich but were in a sticky financial situation. Bit of a 2 + 2 connection to make but wouldn't be totally surprised if it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wager that any club who are interested in him will be waiting to see if he's the same player when he returns. I'm not sure January will be enough time for them to assess that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d agree. I think that someone coming back in at Christmas would depend on him being back on the team by, say, end of September to give him a good two months of running the show. I personally think it’ll be later than this, so I think end of the season is the most likely time we’ll see revived interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David said:

I'd wager that any club who are interested in him will be waiting to see if he's the same player when he returns. I'm not sure January will be enough time for them to assess that.

Probably true. Athough much less of a gamble for an EPL team drinking from the money hose, than for team a like Celtic.

(Of course, Celtic is still by far the most likely destination at the end of it all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Probably true. Athough much less of a gamble for an EPL team drinking from the money hose, than for team a like Celtic.

(Of course, Celtic is still by far the most likely destination at the end of it all).

Even so, I don't think there's many in the EPL who's approach is "fuck it, we have plenty so just get the lad in regardless of his knee being an issue or not."

These clubs are looking for value for money as well, and there's no point in spending even a few million quid on a kid who's just had a relatively serious knee operation. I think he'll be here until the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was told last week by a Celtic fan that DT will sign for them before the end of this window. However we all know what a bunch of doolally arseholes they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Even so, I don't think there's many in the EPL who's approach is "fuck it, we have plenty so just get the lad in regardless of his knee being an issue or not."

These clubs are looking for value for money as well, and there's no point in spending even a few million quid on a kid who's just had a relatively serious knee operation. I think he'll be here until the summer.

The amount of money EPL teams spent on Andy Carroll - a player they all knew was constantly crocked - suggests otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loads of chat about DT returning pretty early. I thought we were all joking earlier.

Anyone with a knee will know they are rubbish, He'll probably be out to March knowing our luck.

Hope I am wrong obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never good when the DTs return - early or late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, weeyin said:

The amount of money EPL teams spent on Andy Carroll - a player they all knew was constantly crocked - suggests otherwise.

Is that the same Andy Carroll that West Ham were shopping around to potential buyers last summer and in January for next to nothing yet couldn't get a buyer? The same guy who's been let go and hasn't got a club yet?

I don't doubt that clubs down south are awash with money, but just because they're rich doesn't make them absolute mugs. They'll be doing their due diligence before making any signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same West Ham who willingly paid £15million for Carroll, yes.

And they paid that 15 million knowing Carroll had picked up an injury playing for them on loan. An injury that kept him out the side for 6 months after they coughed up that transfer fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Loads of chat about DT returning pretty early. I thought we were all joking earlier.

Anyone with a knee will know they are rubbish, He'll probably be out to March knowing our luck.

Hope I am wrong obviously.

Wouldn't wish a knee injury on anyone, the single most horrible experience ever. The mental side of things is by far the hardest part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The same West Ham who willingly paid £15million for Carroll, yes.

And they paid that 15 million knowing Carroll had picked up an injury playing for them on loan. An injury that kept him out the side for 6 months after they coughed up that transfer fee. 

Yeah, but that was a calculated risk of sorts. Carroll was a Liverpool player and an England international who had been a proven commodity in the English Premier League. There's a difference.

Let's be honest, despite our belief to the contrary there wasn't a queue of top English sides with £3 million ready to buy Turnbull before his knee issues were known, so what makes you think there'll be any real interest when he's a few months (if that) removed from coming back?

The risk associated with buying a player from a minor league who's not proven at the top level is enough for most of the bigger clubs down south to take into account, but when you throw in the knee issues as well? I think it'll either be Celtic, or he'll need to take some time to kick on and prove he's back to his best before anyone outside Scotland really looks to invest top dollar.

This belief that "It's England, they'll just chuck millions at us because that's what they spend on players down there" isn't quite true. If it was Kieran Tierney would be an Arsenal player by now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one. Carroll had scored 6 goals in his previous 3 EPL seasons combined before joining West Ham, and a grand total of 20 EPL goals in his 7 season EPL career.

That proved to be a good predictor of his goal scoring form and his injury record. After West Ham forked out the £15 million, he played another 6 seasons for them scoring 26 goals total (never reaching double figures in any season and only making more than 20 apperances in 1 out of those 6).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to remeber he never actually had an injury. It was a preventative operation that would have been completed via Keyhole surgery on an already fully operational knee.

My wife who is a physio for the NHS says he should recover very quickly from the actual operation. I suppose the time consuming part is getting back to a match fitness. But she was sayiing it is very possible he is back to full fitness by November. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, johnstone said:

You have to remeber he never actually had an injury. It was a preventative operation that would have been completed via Keyhole surgery on an already fully operational knee.

My wife who is a physio for the NHS says he should recover very quickly from the actual operation. I suppose the time consuming part is getting back to a match fitness. But she was sayiing it is very possible he is back to full fitness by November. 

I wonder if he recovers quicker as a professional athlete (and 19 year old) or if it takes longer to get back to his level than it would take your average guy in the street to get back to what would be acceptable for playing 5s once a week?

Maybe the 2 factors cancel each other out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weeyin said:

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one. Carroll had scored 6 goals in his previous 3 EPL seasons combined before joining West Ham, and a grand total of 20 EPL goals in his 7 season EPL career.

That proved to be a good predictor of his goal scoring form and his injury record. After West Ham forked out the £15 million, he played another 6 seasons for them scoring 26 goals total (never reaching double figures in any season and only making more than 20 apperances in 1 out of those 6).

Yeah, well, I still don't think that Andy Carroll is any real barometer that English clubs will just chuck silly money around because they can. As I said, if that was the case Kieran Tierney would be an Arsenal player by now, wouldn't he? 

Also as I said, there wasn't a lot of money being chucked around a month or two back when Turnbull was available for £3 million pre-knee issues. I did see more than a few folk say they expected interest from down south, where it seems they wipe their arses using ten pound notes. 

Not much was forthcoming though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arsenal are famous for not chucking money around - but if they could have had Tierney for £3.5 million before preventative knee surgery, I'm pretty sure they would have taken him. 

But that is why I said we need to agree to disagree. 

Anyway, it's all moot as I fully expect DT to be in Celtic Hoops by the end of the season, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×