Jump to content

sailor_h

The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

116 members have voted

  1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Davie apparently down seeing  his Consultant in the Fortius Clinic today to get the final clearance to resume playing.

On the bench for tomorrow night then? 

 

This could be the boost we need to get things back on track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Comparing Polworth with Vigurs in that respect is ridiculous.

Not really, Vigurs could have worked for us in a midfield 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

No offence taken, we can all have difference of opinion. My opinions vary week to week anyway. Maybe I am doing him a massive injustice. I wouldn't trust him to mark and tackle someone if needed though he's a massive shitebag.

i will also totally disagree with you mate. he runs his socks of every game and whilst robinson quoted campbell as running 40k in 3 games id imagine polworth would be next in most kms completed. he also isnt afraid to try a hard pass forward which some of our crowd moan about when it gets cut out but he keeps going and keeps attempting them. he is our best and most influential player other than gallagher and maybe donnelly imo. im hoping when turnbull is back we play a 3421 i dont know if it will work but we need to try it as both polworth and turnbull need to be in the team.  team id pick.

gillespie

gallagher.donnelly.dunne

grimshaw/tait.ohara.campbell.aarons

polworth.turnbull.

watt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gaz7 said:

i will also totally disagree with you mate. he runs his socks of every game and whilst robinson quoted campbell as running 40k in 3 games id imagine polworth would be next in most kms completed. he also isnt afraid to try a hard pass forward which some of our crowd moan about when it gets cut out but he keeps going and keeps attempting them. he is our best and most influential player other than gallagher and maybe donnelly imo. im hoping when turnbull is back we play a 3421 i dont know if it will work but we need to try it as both polworth and turnbull need to be in the team.  team id pick.

gillespie

gallagher.donnelly.dunne

grimshaw/tait.ohara.campbell.aarons

polworth.turnbull.

watt.

Very similar to what I posted recently 

Not a lot of people seemed to like it ……… Think either could work

How about this for a starting XI                
                              Gillespie 

          Gallagher    Donnelly   Dunne

Arrons     Campbell     O’Hara    Polworth

                                     Turnbull    
                    Watt.                          Long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gaz7 said:

i will also totally disagree with you mate. he runs his socks of every game and whilst robinson quoted campbell as running 40k in 3 games id imagine polworth would be next in most kms completed. he also isnt afraid to try a hard pass forward which some of our crowd moan about when it gets cut out but he keeps going and keeps attempting them. he is our best and most influential player other than gallagher and maybe donnelly imo. im hoping when turnbull is back we play a 3421 i dont know if it will work but we need to try it as both polworth and turnbull need to be in the team.  team id pick.

gillespie

gallagher.donnelly.dunne

grimshaw/tait.ohara.campbell.aarons

polworth.turnbull.

watt.

I am in no way doubting Polworth ability and value to the team. I just don't think he has the ability to defend very well which would be needed more out wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am in no way doubting Polworth ability and value to the team. I just don't think he has the ability to defend very well which would be needed more out wide.

i totally agree here lol. theres no way polworth should be out wide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Very similar to what I posted recently 

Not a lot of people seemed to like it ……… Think either could work

How about this for a starting XI                
                              Gillespie 

          Gallagher    Donnelly   Dunne

Arrons     Campbell     O’Hara    Polworth

                                     Turnbull    
                    Watt.                          Long

No way Polworth will be out wide. It'll be O'hara, Polworth and Turnbull competing for two places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Very similar to what I posted recently 

Not a lot of people seemed to like it ……… Think either could work

How about this for a starting XI                
                              Gillespie 

          Gallagher    Donnelly   Dunne

Arrons     Campbell     O’Hara    Polworth

                                     Turnbull    
                    Watt.                          Long

When we play 3 at the back we mostly stink as tonight proved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When we play 3 at the back we mostly stink as tonight proved.

3 at the back is ok if you have the players to do it successfully but we currently don't as tonight proved. No defensive cover down the flanks......again. Big Declan had to do the job of 2 men and made a reasonable fist of doing it. Had he not played we'd have lost a lot more than 2 goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us to go to a flat back 4 we would need to bring Grimshaw back in at right back and play Tait on the left which most people on here criticise regularly. The only other option is Donnelly in one of the full back positions. However, if O'Hara is injured we might need him back in midfield as we cant risk Turnbull in there from the start at this stage. Our selection problems appear to be getting worse rather than better. Ross County could be interesting.

PS. Great to see Turnbull back. Will take a few weeks to get back up to full match sharpness, but a very positive step on the road to recovery. Now if he would just sign that new contract.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did David have any game time at any level before last night?

If not more than 9 months out and straight into 1st team action must be a bit unique?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For us to go to a flat back 4 we would need to bring Grimshaw back in at right back and play Tait on the left which most people on here criticise regularly. The only other option is Donnelly in one of the full back positions. However, if O'Hara is injured we might need him back in midfield as we cant risk Turnbull in there from the start at this stage. Our selection problems appear to be getting worse rather than better. Ross County could be interesting.

PS. Great to see Turnbull back. Will take a few weeks to get back up to full match sharpness, but a very positive step on the road to recovery. Now if he would just sign that new contract.....

Donnelly is suspended for the next 2, we better hope O’Hara is fit or Davie might need to play more than we’d like.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For us to go to a flat back 4 we would need to bring Grimshaw back in at right back and play Tait on the left which most people on here criticise regularly. The only other option is Donnelly in one of the full back positions. However, if O'Hara is injured we might need him back in midfield as we cant risk Turnbull in there from the start at this stage. Our selection problems appear to be getting worse rather than better. Ross County could be interesting.

PS. Great to see Turnbull back. Will take a few weeks to get back up to full match sharpness, but a very positive step on the road to recovery. Now if he would just sign that new contract.....

You could have Dunne at left back.  I'm not a fan of Dunne but I'd prefer him in the side and 4 at the back than 3 at the back.  At right back you have a choice of Tait, Grimshaw and Donnelly.

At centre back you have Gallagher and one of Hartley, Mugabi and Donnelly.

I'd have Maguire in because I think he is a good player and deserves a chance and have him play with Campbell in the middle and have O'Hara on the right and Aarons on the left.

Then I'd have Watt and Long playing up front as traditional strikers.

To me that's as solid as we get right now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You could have Dunne at left back.  I'm not a fan of Dunne but I'd prefer him in the side and 4 at the back than 3 at the back.  At right back you have a choice of Tait, Grimshaw and Donnelly.

At centre back you have Gallagher and one of Hartley, Mugabi and Donnelly.

I'd have Maguire in because I think he is a good player and deserves a chance and have him play with Campbell in the middle and have O'Hara on the right and Aarons on the left.

Then I'd have Watt and Long playing up front as traditional strikers.

To me that's as solid as we get right now.  

Not sure where Maguire is in the pecking order, but to my mind he is a center half 

Donnelly miss the next 2 games so he’s out of the equation 

Agree with front 2 of Watt and Long

Midfield is the problem, last night we played with wing backs (Aaron’s and Tait)  a tight 3 of O’Hara, Campbell, Polworth who were all over the place and unsure of their roles.

O’Hara was the pick of them, he took a knock early on and when he went off and Donnelly went in there it was game over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You could have Dunne at left back.  I'm not a fan of Dunne but I'd prefer him in the side and 4 at the back than 3 at the back.  At right back you have a choice of Tait, Grimshaw and Donnelly.

At centre back you have Gallagher and one of Hartley, Mugabi and Donnelly.

I'd have Maguire in because I think he is a good player and deserves a chance and have him play with Campbell in the middle and have O'Hara on the right and Aarons on the left.

Then I'd have Watt and Long playing up front as traditional strikers.

To me that's as solid as we get right now.  

Tait, despite a good second half in the cup game when we were on the front foot was murder on Saturday & culpable again last night. If I hear "play him in his natural position" once more I think I'll scream. Never blessed with pace, he's lost a yard at least from last season and our tactic of getting the ball to him and hit and hope up the line for the last 20 last night was painful to watch.

Grimshaw, constantly overlooked by some was pivotal to how we set up. I don't buy "he can't cross the ball" claims given we have an abundance of wingers poor or not to deliver crosses. It's his drive and energy that forces the team up the park. Been crying out for that of late, yet the substitutions offered little to no change.

Midfield 4's are easily swamped in Scotland. As much as he's a good player, Maguire doesn't have the physicality. Midfield is screaming out for fresh legs, unfortunately, giving one of our youngsters game time in current climate may crucify him.

Match fit Watt and Long as traditional strikers is an attractive option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Match fit Watt and Long as traditional strikers is an attractive option.

Agree this looks like the best option. Just hope we can keep them fit and suspension free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You could have Dunne at left back.  I'm not a fan of Dunne but I'd prefer him in the side and 4 at the back than 3 at the back.  At right back you have a choice of Tait, Grimshaw and Donnelly.

At centre back you have Gallagher and one of Hartley, Mugabi and Donnelly.

I'd have Maguire in because I think he is a good player and deserves a chance and have him play with Campbell in the middle and have O'Hara on the right and Aarons on the left.

Then I'd have Watt and Long playing up front as traditional strikers.

To me that's as solid as we get right now.  

I had kinda ignored Dunne as I didnt think he was fit enough yet. However, given our lack of options he may well be asked to step up. Id forgotten Donnelly was suspended but that makes things even tougher selection wise. I think its fair to say we may continue to struggle the next few weeks unless Robbo stumbles upon a formation that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Ya Bezzer doesnt like 3 at the back but I agree that 4 in midfield is sometimes overun. Sometimes your hand is forced. Easily tweaked from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 by dropping Tait deeper. Grimshaw could be an option in a 5 and Turnbull could be a straight replacement for Polworth for the last half hour. 

Gillespie

Gallagher Hartley Dunne

Tait OHara Polworth Campbell Aarons 

Watt Long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gillespie

Grimshaw Donnelly Gallagher Dunne

Campbell O'Hara

Hylton Turnbull Aarons

Watt

 

4-2-3-1. Easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great having Turnbull back. But not much of a surprise, Burrows and Robbo need him to get a few games under his belt so someone will offer a couple quid in the summer! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Gillespie

Grimshaw Donnelly Gallagher Dunne

Campbell O'Hara

Hylton Turnbull Aarons

Watt

 

4-2-3-1. Easy.

Problem with that is its easy for it to morph into 4-5-1  and leave the central striker isolated. Watt can play the TM role and hold the ball up, but needs support so we either need 3 up front or Long to partner Watt. Also, unfortunately Hylton is utter shite.

Its a real toughy with the squad we have been left with. Attack is a conundrum, with either 3-5-2 or 4-4-2/4-3-3 we have the same problem of shite Full Backs forcing the Centre Backs out of position or giving the opposition too much time and space out wide

 

Also Campbell is a real worry for me. He is turning into David Clarkson 2.0, too much football and pressure is making him jaded and he looks like he is regressing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×