The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Is this true? Foreigners have won the Writers' awards before.

It's a new thing this year (for the young players of the year, at least). From the Wiki page:

"As of 2019, the award was restricted to players who are eligible for selection by the Scotland national under-21 football team."

Just seen news of a defender going from Bristol City to Bournemouth for £13 fkin million.

I am sure he is a good player as an under 21 England international.

But I mean is he as good as Turnbull May turn out to be. 

15 goals from midfield as a 19 yr old having not played all season is outrageous. 

Same goals as a striker for Celtic in Edouard who reputedly cost £8m or thereabouts. 

Time we stood up and said feck off to low ball numbers. 

We have the best young player in Scotland. Possibly beyond that. Lets play hardball and blow our transfer record out the water. 

• Like 2

I just hope we can retain him until January, I had thought we may get another season out of him but he’s improving so quickly that someone is surely going to come in with a big offer this summer. Ok Scottish football is not rated down south but he has to be the stand out player up here now.

A couple of things worth remembering. Turnbull is still very young and inexperienced. A further season with us should allow him to develop and improve both technically and physically in an environment that we know he currently thrives in. If he continues to improve at the current rate, not an unreasonable assumption, he will quickly become known to the real big players. These are the clubs that have the cash not to worry about waiting a season to pick up players for a free or development fee. We could easily double our money and get another year out of the most talented youngster to come through in ages. Yes, there are risks involved, but do we really want to cash in now for a couple of mill and then have the club pleading poverty again at the end of next season? If we sell our prime assets for a relative pittance, then, it irks me to say it, we get what we deserve.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

When's his contract up? I know he's just renewed but if its only for 2 more years we should be working as hard as we can to extend it with a buyout clause. 

2021. As for a fee I’d say around 5 million and that’s no joke. If it was a bigger club he’d be worth a lot more. Never know he may make the Scotland squad and score a worldie...

1 hour ago, ropy said:

£3m plus 20% sell on, which will return a further £1m+.  That should be a conservative target.

I would be happy with that, think he may go for around £2m thought in the very near future and as above we could  even have seen him play his last game for us.

I think it was naive of Burrows to go on record as saying it was take a club record fee secure Turnbull. He's basically putting a marker down by merely highlighting what is obvious to everyone and their dog.

It's kind of like saying we'd take circa £2m as a minimum.  We should be looking at £3-5m+  not saying oh we'd like more than we got paid 25 years ago.  Honestly he needs to know when to keep his powder dry.

9 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

I think it was naive of Burrows to go on record as saying it was take a club record fee secure Turnbull. He's basically putting a marker down by merely highlighting what is obvious to everyone and their dog.

It's kind of like saying we'd take circa £2m as a minimum.  We should be looking at £3-5m+  not saying oh we'd like more than we got paid 25 years ago.  Honestly he needs to know when to keep his powder dry.

I think you're overanalysing.  All he was saying was that he is contracted to us and if anyone wanted to buy him, they'd need to meet our valuation. 

£3 - 5 million is a club record too.

2 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

Don't think it was naive at all, all he said was a club record fee, which if I recall would be anything above the £1.75 million we got for O'Donnell, so could be £5 m.

We  are not even sure if he will be away, as that assumes there are big clubs out there willing to spend lots of cash on a great prospect but in reality  an unproven player,.

In my opinion another season developing and continuing to scores goals and the big clubs will be queuing up to sign him, plus we will get the benefit on the pitch as well.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:35 PM, Spiderpig said:

In my opinion another season developing and continuing to scores goals and the big clubs will be queuing up to sign him, plus we will get the benefit on the pitch as well.

This. Plus, it's not very often you get to see the best young, arguably best outright(?), midfielder in the country playing at Motherwell... and he actually wants to be here. Let's enjoy it while it lasts! I think I might have posted a few weeks back with a minimum valuation i felt we'd consider, but I take it back now, hes improving at a rate of knots and I certainly wouldn't be hitting the cash out button now unless it blows our record fee out the water.

I am speaking as a fan of course though.

• Thanks 1

Total ridiculous if you ask me clearly on a crest of a wave just had an amazing season but not even in the squad.Hope it's not a sign of see still things haven't changed.

McTominay might play for Man Utd but he has been honking all season sorry but nah not having it.

Edited by MrBeee

I he latterly gets called up - fantastic.  If not, then we take the positive of the extra 2 or 3 weeks rest he'll have ahead of next season.  He's young of course so won't be drained the way a more senior pro will be at the end of a season, but we saw the way Allan Campbell was "nursed" to get him to his peak after the U21 tournament last season.  Chris Cadden is another good example of a younger player who often starts the season flying having had that rest behind him.

All academic if that lucrative bid comes in for him of course...

1 hour ago, MrBeee said:

Total ridiculous if you ask me clearly on a crest of a wave just had an amazing season but not even in the squad.Hope it's not a sign of see still things haven't changed.

McTominay might play for Man Utd but he has been honking all season sorry but nah not having it.

Disappointed with some of the call ups but Mctominay's inclusion isn't one of them, ran the show at Old Trafford v Barca, dominated PSG, A lot of Man Utd fans would agree he was the one positive of the last 3 months or so. there is a player there, more so than Lewis Morgan and Liam Palmer.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic