The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

9 hours ago, ropy said:

This is paper talk, Celtic have not made a bid.

Making a bid would be too straight forward for them. 

Lawell is using his pet journalists to try and set the starting price for Turnbull as low as possible to prevent getting blown out the water by English clubs.  The same as he used them to spread lies about Rafa Benitez coming to boost ST sales.  He also played the media like a fiddle releasing a statement about their convicted paedo coach exactly when Theresa May resigned. 

Think it is typical of old firm, the other half are saying they should sign him. The figures they quote are a joke, considering what they quote for some of their lot. I also wish Alan B would keep his mouth shut about what they would want,   today offers of 3 million is reported.

To be fair to Alan Burrows ( and I posted yesterday about SSN quoting him ) it seems what he actually said was it would take substantially more than our previous record fee to have any joy in getting Turnbull. He is a better prospect than McGinn was at Hibs and look what they got for him.

Burrows is playing a blinder so far in my eyes.

In the space of 24 hours we have went from talk in the paper of Celtic perhaps readying a 1.2m bid, to talk of no less than 2.5-3m  in the headlines of the Herald and The Record etc. 

We all know its paper and social media talk. But nowadays both can have a big impact on transfers and the momentum of them

Without the proactive intervention from Burrows originally to say no less than our record fee (setting our stall out early), then a reactive statement saying significantly more than our record fee (furthering that stance but with not 'magic' number mentioned) we would be silent and talking about the normal low ball bids from Celtic et al. Of of much less than 1.2 million.

Now we are in a position that all clubs know we aren't dealing at the 400k -8/900k levels like we have recently when we have made a sale like Moult, Heneghan, Kipre or Johnson et al

Well played in my eyes.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, superward said:

Burrows is playing a blinder so far in my eyes.

In the space of 24 hours we have went from talk in the paper of Celtic perhaps readying a 1.2m bid, to talk of no less than 2.5-3m  in the headlines of the Herald and The Record etc. 

We all know its paper and social media talk. But nowadays both can have a big impact on transfers and the momentum of them

Without the proactive intervention from Burrows originally to say no less than our record fee (setting our stall out early), then a reactive statement saying significantly more than our record fee (furthering that stance but with not 'magic' number mentioned) we would be silent and talking about the normal low ball bids from Celtic et al. Of of much less than 1.2 million.

Now we are in a position that all clubs know we aren't dealing at the 400k -8/900k levels like we have recently when we have made a sale like Moult, Heneghan, Kipre or Johnson et al

Well played in my eyes.

Yep, I think he’s got it spot on.

What I don't get is how a non story such as this has managed to stir up 10-15 posts on here.

Insight to Scottish tabloid hack's day: 

• Wake Up
  • Clean fathers cum out of bellybutton
  • Gargle with whisky (Aldi)
  • Get to work and see what's bubbling away
  • Ask yourself "can I wangle an Old Firm angle" onto any story, person or event
  • Consult professional ethics if story is valid or truthful
  • 2 seconds later .... raise a wry grin and internally call yourself "a dick"
  • Ask Janice from accounts to name a number between 1 and 5 (she picks 1)
  • Ask sandwich boy what month he was born in (February) .... now you have £1.2m
  • Write "article"

• Haha 1

Knowing a few folk who are tabloid hacks...that only applies to 1 in 5 actually.

26 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

What I don't get is how a non story such as this has managed to stir up 10-15 posts on here.

Insight to Scottish tabloid hack's day: 

• Wake Up
  • Clean fathers cum out of bellybutton
  • Gargle with whisky (Aldi)
  • Get to work and see what's bubbling away
  • Ask yourself "can I wangle an Old Firm angle" onto any story, person or event
  • Consult professional ethics if story is valid or truthful
  • 2 seconds later .... raise a wry grin and internally call yourself "a dick"
  • Ask Janice from accounts to name a number between 1 and 5 (she picks 1)
  • Ask sandwich boy what month he was born in (February) .... now you have £1.2m
  • Write "article"

Celtic are doing exactly what Rangers do when it comes to buying players from other Scottish clubs. They float a low-ball price via their favoured tabloid hacks to see the reaction and whether they might nick a bargain.  Do to Celtic what Hibs did to them with John McGinn. However, make no mistake, Motherwell will sell Turnbull but IMO they will get nowhere near what he's really worth - the amateurs running the club will make sure of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

Celtic are doing exactly what Rangers do when it comes to buying players from other Scottish clubs. They float a low-ball price via their favoured tabloid hacks to see the reaction and whether they might nick a bargain.  Do to Celtic what Hibs did to them with John McGinn. However, make no mistake, Motherwell will sell Turnbull but IMO they will get nowhere near what he's really worth - the amateurs running the club will make sure of that.

Get that ‘amateurs running the club chat’  in the bin. Handled the situation well thus far & making strides to realise full market value.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

the amateurs running the club will make sure of that.

Would appreciate it if you could qualify that statement, evidence and how you're qualified to make such a critique? For example if you double up posting on here and running a FTSE company or are commercial director at Barcelona etc. it may carry more sway.

8 hours ago, El Grew said:

Pretty unfair comment in my view.

We should just be blunt and say to any potential buyers that they can have him now  if they pay £4M in one instalment. No negotiation, £4M or he stays put.  £4M is loose change down the back of the sofa to English premiership sides. They are buying potential and at £4M he is a bargain. Look at Robertson at Liverpool, how much did Dundee United get for him?

10 hours ago, El Grew said:

the amateurs running the club will make sure of that.

:lol::lol::lol: 

The same amateurs that are both publicly and within the game, the envy of clubs all over the UK?

Let me assure you, these "amateurs" are the reason we still have a club at all right now, let alone one that is sustainable and profitable. Just wait and see where we go in the next few years, all thanks to the current regime.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

We should just be blunt and say to any potential buyers that they can have him now  if they pay £4M in one instalment. No negotiation, £4M or he stays put.  £4M is loose change down the back of the sofa to English premiership sides. They are buying potential and at £4M he is a bargain. Look at Robertson at Liverpool, how much did Dundee United get for him?

Around 3m from Hull, pluss around 800k from a 10% sell-on.

The Herald has been running a series of articles on the top 10 young Scottish players. There are some great stats in there, and Turnbull has been ranked number one.

A few highlights:

-  He has scored twice as many goals as he reasonably ought to have, based on the quality of the chances presented to him.

- He's scored the most goals in the league from outside the box

- He is the most accurate player in the Premiership, with more than half of his shots hitting the target

Full article is available here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The Herald has been running a series of articles on the top 10 young Scottish players. There are some great stats in there, and Turnbull has been ranked number one.

A few highlights:

-  He has scored twice as many goals as he reasonably ought to have, based on the quality of the chances presented to him.

- He is the most accurate player in the Premiership, with more than half of his shots hitting the target

Read that earlier - great piece well worth reading 

Remember last summer when everyone was behaving much the same about Campbell? Get another season under your belt chat. The last one wasn't as successful as the first. Just bear that in mind.

Also the one thing that many posters on here fail to acknowledge as a factor is what the player wants. All the talk of swiping away a 2m offer here, a loan back to us being on the table or any affiliation to the club influencing a decision over income is short sighted. Any offer the club won't be looking to accept may also come with a large multiplication of Turnbull's salary. Don't ignore how seeing Jake Hastie on a mint, 15 miles away for a 10 game purple patch may irk. I do think Turnbull isn't a clown and isn't surrounded by them so I feel confident he will move when its right for everyone concerned.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

A few highlights:

His shooting is what sets him apart and it was obvious at u20 level. Why he wasn't in the first team earlier will always be a mystery.

He got noticeably fitter during the season and if he is still with us when the league campaign kicks off I think he will have already stepped up another level.

Good to see Gutchy responding to the CSC media with the 3m article.

10 hours ago, Al B said:

Let me assure you, these "amateurs" are the reason we still have a club at all right now, let alone one that is sustainable and profitable. Just wait and see where we go in the next few years, all thanks to the current regime.

100% agree Al.  Thats the bottom line.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:38 PM, Spiderpig said:

They can't afford him, they need to save all their cash in case there are any compensation claims to settle if they get linked with the ongoing Celtic boys club abuse scandal :ph34r:

Don't stoop to follow follow levels please.

• David locked this topic