The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

I just hope we haven't turned into an American style sports franchise where we sell the player even if he doesn't want to leave. I'm still a little amazed at how people would rather be working to punt him ASAP than find a way to hold onto him for longer.

Just something to consider before we take the cash. What would be the cost of getting relegated and spending a few years in the Championship? If we struggle next season and the rebuild does not go as well as planned, a quality player like Turnbull could make all the difference between tenth and survival and the play offs or the dreaded drop. Dundee United are currently proving that the Championship is a seriously difficult league to get out of.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I just hope we haven't turned into an American style sports franchise where we sell the player even if he doesn't want to leave. I'm still a little amazed at how people would rather be working to punt him ASAP than find a way to hold onto him for longer.

I think just about everyone  would like him to stay, however we have to be realistic and fair to the player. I don’t think we should deny him a shot at the Premiership and as much as you could argue he could do that in a years time everyone is open to injuries, look at Carson with his illness and Tanner as only two examples. I would think that while he was happy to sign the new contract he was also probably told the club would not stand in his way should a big club down south come in for him.  The club knew he would go and all the new contract did was make sure when he did move on we would be guaranteed a big chunk of money, I don’t believe they thought it tied him to the club for another 12/18 months.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The African said:

Just something to consider before we take the cash. What would be the cost of getting relegated and spending a few years in the Championship? If we struggle next season and the rebuild does not go as well as planned, a quality player like Turnbull could make all the difference between tenth and survival and the play offs or the dreaded drop. Dundee United are currently proving that the Championship is a seriously difficult league to get out of.

If we sell Turnbull and don't replace him we will still be nowhere near relegation this coming season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I would rather that was with us.  

I am hoping the media coverage and interest will push the fee north of £3m. He has the ability to become a mainstay of premiership clubs perhaps outside the top 6 or so. Whether he does or not who knows. But right now he has had as much coverage if not more than Robertson and McGinn at that age. Split their potential transfer fees and you would not get much change out of £30m each. 

God I would love him to stay.  The frenzy that appears to be unfolding suggests that is highly unlikely..

30m wouldn't get you close to buying Robertson and Mcginn, double that for Robertson alone.

54 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

With Ross County, Livvy, Accies and St Mirren in the league, I'd be inclined to agree with you...it could be a grim watch though

I'd hope that a bit of cash would allow us to bring in some quality and solidity elsewhere in the squad to improve the overall standard.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think it’s been that way for a long long time.....players who weren’t too fussed about leaving but “ encouraged “ to go if a good bid came in, not just at Motherwell.

In an ideal world he would stay but the money they are talking about could really help , possibly buy 2 or 3 players which in this league could really transform us. Even better if he’s loaned back for a spell.

The Dundee Utd scenario is , however, a concern, we’ve got to use the money wisely.

There is a point, financially speaking, when the club can't afford to turn down the offer and they allow the club to speak to Turnbull. It's then up to him whether he goes to that particular club.

I wouldn't be surprised if this drags on and we think he's staying before someone comes in at the end of the transfer window, similar to Faddy going to Everton. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48559100

Motherwell turn down £2m bid for David Turnbull

By Scott Mullen

BBC Sport Scotland

Sharethis page
Breaking news

Motherwell have rejected a £2m offer for midfielder David Turnbull.

Both Celtic and Barnsley are understood to have tabled bids for the 19-year-old in the last 24 hours which the Fir Park club have turned down.

The club believe the attacking midfielder is worth more with two years remaining on his current deal with a value of £3m being mooted for the academy graduate.

Last season Turnbull scored 15 goals and provided six assists.

In May Celtic were reported to have been considering a £1.2m fee for the Scotland Under-21 internationalist, an amount Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows described as "nowhere near" enough to tempt the Scottish Premiership side to part with him.

Speaking previously to BBC Scotland, Burrows said: "If anyone is wanting to David Turnbull, the fee would have to be significant. Not only because of his talent, it's to do with the contribution to the team.

"It would need to be a figure the club just couldn't refuse, and that's not going to be cheap. I would imagine it will set all sorts of records for this football club."

28 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

FFS - Barnsley? are we offering him on Gumtree :huh:

According to Kieran Maguire, Barnsley's wages to tunover ratio in 2018 was 84.8%, in other words totally unsustainable. Hopefully circling vultures will get the message "Don't put in bids of less than £3m" loud and clear. 

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

According to Kieran Maguire, Barnsley's wages to tunover ratio in 2018 was 84.8%, in other words totally unsustainable. Hopefully circling vultures will get the message "Don't put in bids of less than £3m" loud and clear. 

I appreciate they are a Championship club, was just surprised by their surprise inclusion. Certainly not the most fashionable of clubs - though I'm sure Dickie Bird and Michael Parkinson would disagree. I'm sure there will be clubs with a better pedigree circling as I type.

That is certainly a dodgy practice, but I doubt they're the only club "darn sarf" that are operating in similar waters. 

Definitely a case of £3 million, then we might talk - no guarantees mind. Hope Flow remembered to keep Liewell in the loop and told him to do one - politely of course.

The reality is that we’re in no rush to sell. He’s our player and it seems like we’re not in desperate financial straits. The issue in my mind is timing. Our season starts in A months time and we’re still very short on numbers and bereft of real quality, with the exception of Turnbull. Given that some clubs will undoubtably act in the end of the window (or worse, January) realizing their ineffectiveness earlier in the summer market, it could see the price move up considerably however it would leave us in a bit of a hole. I have absolutely no interest on pressing reset on the squad season after season and with the money being touted, it is essential that we allocate a fair chunk to reinvest in the playing squad (with others going to debt and youth development as mentioned). In that way, the club may as well Come out and say 3.5/4M and let it be done in anticipation of those future events and let us move on, rather than dragging. I however am much more interested in seeing the best possible players playing for Motherwell and us actually achieving something, which is why a small part is still clinging to the glimmer of hope that we slap 5M on the table and push away bidders for the time being. 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, ropy said:

£3m plus 20% sell on, which will return a further £1m+.  That should be a conservative target.

I think this still holds up, with loan back being an additional option

I have not been on the forums for some months because I got tired of the negativity of some regarding the club and the manager. I was enticed back on this morning though because I was interested to hear the thoughts on Turnbull's possible departure.

No matter what happens , I think it is important to take note of the position we are in just now regarding our young players. Turnbull will leave (now or in the future) for a club record fee.  He could be part of the future of the Scottish midfield for years to come. 

Hastie went to Rangers having been one of the most dynamic players in the league this season. He would have commanded a significiant fee had he not been out of contract and I would not be surprised if he too featured in the future as part of what will hopefully be a Scotland renaissance under Steve Clark.

Campbell and Cadden are already part of the Scotland set up. Admittedly both players have reached a bit of a ceiling at the moment but they are still young with bright futures ahead. To have four players of that standard coming directly from Motherwell's youth set up is fantastic and something we should be proud of. There will be few (if any) clubs in Britain with resources similar to ours that can boast of that kind of success with it's youth system.

I have no idea about Turnbull's true monitory value but what I would like to see in any deal is that he is loaned back to us for one more season. That would be worth a £1 million on it's own for me because we just might be looking at Motherwell's greatest ever export (at lesast as good as O' Donnell, McFayden, McAllister) and the pleasure of having him play at Firpark for one more season would be priceless.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic