The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Ty Richie, not on twitter but wanted to see. 

Some interesting comments about how we shouldn't be in any rush to sell. I think the club very much will be desperate to sell him, not because we are in dire need of the money, but because 3million is so much money to us and we won't want to pass that up. 

I feel this may be from a financial point of view the optimal time to let him go. It ups the selling price while he still has two years to run on his contract. But hold on to him for another season and we may potentially see a scenario unfold where an agent interested in nothing but money convinces him to simply wait out that final year while signing a pre contract in the January window.

He could then potentially go in that January window for a fraction of what he may fetch now since the club would have to take whatever was on offer or see him go for nothing just months later.  Dundee and Glen Kamara a classic example of that.

The more I read this thread the more I feel like I'm the only one who wants Turnbull to stay for another season.

We're a fan owned club - we aim to break even and put some entertainment on the park. 

While I support our business model, I might be reconsidering it if it means we sell  all our best players before we get a full season out of them. 

There has to be a balance here. Keeping Turnbull for another season might decrease his value next summer. If he improves again, it might increase his value.

If all we want to do is grab cash as soon as we get a whiff of it, we could sell Fir Park for flats and groundshare with Accies.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The more I read this thread the more I feel like I'm the only one who wants Turnbull to stay for another season.

We're a fan owned club - we aim to break even and put some entertainment on the park. 

While I support our business model, I might be reconsidering it if it means we sell  all our best players before we get a full season out of them. 

There has to be a balance here. Keeping Turnbull for another season might decrease his value next summer. If he improves again, it might increase his value.

If all we want to do is grab cash as soon as we get a whiff of it, we could sell Fir Park for flats and groundshare with Accies.

I agree with what you are saying. It cannot be just about the money. We also should be taking into considering what is best for the career development of the player involved. He is only nineteen and, depending on his maturity, then each specific option offers him different challenges and opportunities. It would also be wise to take into account what the player wants to do. Yes, these are important decisions for our club, and making any move will have consequences, good and bad, but their will be other players. Turnbull has one career, and while the wrong move now may not be a catastrophe, making the right move could see him go all the way to the top. I do hope that, as a club, we see the mutual benefit in helping Turnbull on his career path. Players are more than just assets, to be used and traded.

At the end of the day the club has to come first and if £3 million really is a possibility that could be enough to finance a squad overhaul which might see a push into the top 6 along with extended cup runs. A prime factor is to avoid relegation and I believe that could be achieved even with no Turnbull and even if the squad were not massively overhauled.

But as already mentioned a sum of money like that could be the catalyst to move higher up the league and be in the latter stages of cups. 

That’s a move for him I could get behind. 

No to Celtic & Barnsley but Bournemouth definitely. Have a cracking manager and are not scared to play British youngsters. 

I don’t want him to leave and hope we could get another season, purely selfish as I would watch him play keepy uppy in a phonebox and still enjoy it, however when he does I would hope it’s a good move to help him progress. 

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Well said that man we should be in no hurry to sell our best player .Whats the point in the fans funding our youth development policy if the fans don't get a chance to watch these players showing their talents in the first team . What s the hurry to be debt free while a lot of teams are up to their neck in debt ,yes we owe money to the two previous owners but it's a debt we seem able to service no problem and our assets are growing every season .The Accies policy of bringing on their youth players and then selling them right away has led to them flirting with relegation every season and not being able to build a side . Let's build a side round Turnbull instead of cashing in on him ,use him to attract a better quality of player to Fir Park yes we might need to spend to accumulate but while we have assets it might just be the way forward 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

It must be a catalyst when you see a guy a year younger who had a 9 game purple patch and arguably not as talented picking up 4k more than you a week.

They are the same age group, but I take your point on the talented bit. 

I'm not quite sure why the media keep beating the "Turnbull to Celtic" angle outside of it being good clickbait for the masses. Anyone who's even had a slight gander at how Celtic are operating at the moment knows they're not going to spend serious dough this summer, especially not on a player who's position they're looking fairly well-stocked for at the moment.

Any sensible reactions I've seen from their fanbase has run along the lines of "if he was available for a million to a million and a half then try to get him, if not we move on and try to buy for positions that we badly need to fill."

2 hours ago, David said:

I'm not quite sure why the media keep beating the "Turnbull to Celtic" angle outside of it being good clickbait for the masses.

You've answered your own question right there, no further analysis required.

• David locked this topic