The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Unbe-fucking-leavable and unless Turnbull said categorically he wanted to go to Celtic and no-one else we have to ask question of a board that sells out best asset at the drop of a hat the minute the bid comes in.

Apparently £3m + addons - who know what we could have got if he does go for this.....

No question we could have gotten a bidding war on this.

Typical Motherwell. 

I’m guessing they’ve probably met a release clause figure so we need to accept. Likely put into the lads contract when it was extended last season. Seems a bit early in the window to accept otherwise considering the amount of interest. Fingers crossed it was a high figure that other clubs meet and he chooses to goes elsewhere.

Hopefully David the motherwell fan comes to the sensible decision and knocks them back. Will he get regular starts with them? This must be an incredible offer from celtic, because is this not against our policy of selling to english clubs with sell on fees. 

For the rest of his career now he will be referred to in the media as "Celtic's David Turnbull" - followed by "ex-Celt David Turnbull"

Personally, I'd have preferred that we kept him for another season (where maybe he helped us to a top 6 spot) and then sold him. Even if we got less for him (and that is debatable if he had kept improving at his current rate),  that would would been of more value to the fans that stump up at the turnstiles every week.

If we're going to start punting every good youngster before they have played a full season for us, then I can see a few fans walking away. 

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

Absolutely fucking disgusted - I hope it's been done as a previous poster said to flush out other potential suitors - if not then the Board can fuck right off. Caved in at the first reasonable offer and that's all it is if reports are correct.

Have a look at yourself, do you think for a minute that if there had been better or similar offers from English clubs they would have said no we want to sell him to Celtic FFS I think not.

Lots of chat about interest from England but obviously no firm offers, so he's off to Celtic, as they obviously met our asking price, £3m plus add-ons which if he fulfills his potential could double that figure, so potential life changing cash for the club.

• Like 1

Not saying he won't end up going there, but a number of clubs have contacted us and asked what it would take to buy him, and each have been told a figure.

Celtic appear to have been the first to come back and say "okay then".

Again I'm not saying that he won't end up at Parkhead, but it clearly says a fee has been agreed, not a deal. We could agree a fee with any number of clubs, and then the player looks at them all and decides where he wants to go.

• Like 3

Just now, Spiderpig said:

Have a look at yourself, do you think for a minute that if there had been better or similar offers from English clubs they would have said no we want to sell him to Celtic FFS I think not.

Lots of chat about interest from England but obviously no firm offers, so he's off to Celtic, as they obviously met our asking price, £3m plus add-ons which if he fulfills his potential could double that figure, so potential life changing cash for the club.

There was no need to sell him at all this summer. We don't need the money - we do need the entertainment value.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

If we're going to start punting every good youngster before they have played a full season for us, then I can see a few fans walking away. 

I think there's more to it than just wanting to punt our best youngsters. 

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised when he signed that new deal with us. I assumed he'd have waited until the end of the season and seen what offers he had. I've seen in mentioned that there may have been a "gentleman's agreement" of sorts regarding what size of bid would trigger us allowing him to go.

We can't knock back that kind of dough, plus the lad may very well fancy moving on and trying his luck on a bigger stage.

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

There's another 2 months till the window closes FFS, why sell now. Why take the first bid that's tabled. Total fucking sell-out and typical of our board, throughout our history.

Just now, weeyin said:

There was no need to sell him at all this summer. We don't need the money - we do need the entertainment value.

Pish, the club always needs money  to clear debts, improve the stadium, develop more Turnbull's etc etc so all they have done is maximise the return on a very sellable asset. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

The issue was always with this mythical £3m figure.  We were not ballsy enough, I've heard it might have been a release clause, but still compared with other talent out there it's relatively cheap.  Remember the transfer window doesn't shut at midnight ffs.

2 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

There's another 2 months till the window closes FFS, why sell now.

Probably because we have agreed with the player on a fee where we'd allow him to talk to other clubs? Maybe Celtic are the first to reach that fee?

• Like 1

Just now, underboyleheating said:

WHAT IF...
WE SOLD YOU EARLY BIRD TICKETS, THEN SOLD OUR BEST PLAYER TO CELTIC? :ph34r:

This is my feeling, Bought my first season ticket in years few weeks ago. I knew he would be sold, but to our rivals..!! I would rather we got bugger all than sell to that mob. God ANYONE but them

• David locked this topic