The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

All this angst and sudden outpouring of animosity towards the board and club because we sold a player we all knew would never start the new season in a well shirt.

Does anyone really think if we had waited till transfer deadline day we would suddenly get a £5 million bid for Turnbull from a top English team, or would it be the same as we have now, let's be honest  there was never going to be a bidding war. 

So what difference does it make selling him now or 6 weeks from now, when there might not have been a deal on the table.

If the figures are to be believed it's a club record transfer fee, with good add-ons, that could see the club debt free and on a stable financial footing for years to come, and there are still people moaning about it.

The problem is we don't know what the fee is, we don't know if there are sell on clauses,  we don't know if there was a clause in DT's contract that forced MFC, we don't know what money will be spent on the team / facilities etc. The animosity  is all about lack of transparency. 

What I ask for is a full statement.

We all know Turnbull was going to be sold at some point. 

We all know he is destined for bigger things.

We all knew the money was going to break records. 

However it is utterly galling to lose him to one of the arse cheeks. Especially after losing Hastie to the other arse cheek. 

Their superiority complex and constant lording over us is just going to get worse and watching him in the green and grey hoops will make me sick. 

Hopefully with the club releasing this statement it’s a rallying call to some English clubs to up their game and bid the right money. If they do he will go south with all of our best wishes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

I thought they had already turned down other offers ? 1.2 to 2 million mentioned. If it’s 3 million plus add ons it’s what many on here though was fair. 

Apparently they did, but my irrational side doesn't recognise those as legitimate offers, in the grand scheme of things :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Stonehaven'Well said:

The problem is we don't know what the fee is, we don't know if there are sell on clauses,  we don't know if there was a clause in DT's contract that forced MFC, we don't know what money will be spent on the team / facilities etc. The animosity  is all about lack of transparency. 

No doubt we will find all that out eventually once/if the deal is done

Just now, steelman1991 said:

Apparently they did, but my irrational side doesn't recognise those as legitimate offers, in the grand scheme of things :rolleyes:

Look I get that folks are upset because it’s Celtic but to be fair the club stated it would need to be a record fee so I see no reason to think it’s not. I would be amazed if the new contract did not have a release clause in it so again if it’s triggered so be it.

it was pretty obvious a while ago he would never play in a Motherwell shirt again, way too much interest so positive side the debt is completely paid off and we are in a healthy state.

I have no issue  selling him early. Give  us more time to deal with replacing him. My issue is selling him to another Scottish team. I’d rather take less money and sell him outside of Scotland. I also think he would develop better down there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Yorkyred said:

Look I get that folks are upset because it’s Celtic but to be fair the club stated it would need to be a record fee so I see no reason to think it’s not. I would be amazed if the new contract did not have a release clause in it so again if it’s triggered so be it.

it was pretty obvious a while ago he would never play in a Motherwell shirt again, way too much interest so positive side the debt is completely paid off and we are in a healthy state.

I was quite resigned to losing him in the summer. It's the timing of the transfer that has me perplexed. Again, no need to sell to service the debt, so why the desperation, unless as others have pointed out it's to try and lure the big hitters from south of the border into making trumping bids. 

14 minutes ago, Stonehaven'Well said:

I think that’s jumping the gun at this point, he’s not actually signed for anyone at this point.

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

I was quite resigned to losing him in the summer. It's the timing of the transfer that has me perplexed. Again, no need to sell to service the debt, so why the desperation, unless as others have pointed out it's to try and lure the big hitters from south of the border into making trumping bids. 

I think it’s simply a clause that’s been triggered.

Its not the fact it's Celtic it's the fact I do think it seems a bit cheap to me 3.5-5 mill be my biting point we won't know the deal properly clearly but I would hope to fuck we have Scotland caps and a fat 20-25% sell on fee aswell.

If he signs for Celtic Clarke will have him in his next squad 100%.

Just now, Yorkyred said:

I think it’s simply a clause that’s been triggered.

Not a single person has mentioned a release clause in the five months since he signed the deal but Burrows comes under a bit of criticism and it's suddenly a sycophant talking point.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Not a single person has mentioned a release clause in the five months since he signed the deal but Burrows comes under a bit of criticism and it's suddenly a sycophant talking point.

The fact no one has mentioned it does not mean it’s not there. How can anyone actually be critical at this point when they don’t actually know the facts anyway ? Surely any criticism should come when something has happened ? Or is that just crazy talk ? 

Some people need to move out of fantasy land where half the Premiership wanted him for funny money and get back into the real world. 

The bheasts have bid far in excess of what anyone else has and it's too much to knock back 

Three cheers for their John McGinn saga last season or we'd be getting less

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

You’re either  being extremely naive or down right awkward to suggest that there won’t be a release clause in the contract 

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The fact no one has mentioned it does not mean it’s not there. How can anyone actually be critical at this point when they don’t actually know the facts anyway ? Surely any criticism should come when something has happened ?

If it's there then Celtic have not matched an official contractual monetary  release clause  if the media report is correct as you don't get add ons into those.  

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club would't have made a statement if it wasn't a done deal. All the stuff last week and tonight is just the process being stage managed to try and keep the more gullible fans onside.

If in doubt insult other Motherwell fans, great.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club would't have made a statement if it wasn't a done deal. All the stuff last week and tonight is just the process being stage managed to try and keep the more gullible fans onside.

Thank fuck we have a wise sage like you to keep us informed of the “truth”.

12 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

We now miss out on a sizeable sell on fee, Celtic wont be able to command as much for him as some of the other clubs been mentioned.

True Celtic got 6.2 mil for sale of van dyke as sell on from Sthampton. They could get another massive windfall from selling on and add on frm Turnbull.

• David locked this topic