The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Have read the thread form the moment the news broke.

Have a few thoughts.

My opinion is that we should keep him for at least another year. Yes, I know the talk of gentlemens agreement etc. Turnbull said himself when he signed a new contract that he had other offers. He wanted to play for Motherwell. Then there's talk of a gamble in not accepting Celtic's bid. Yes, he could get injures or have a loss of form. However, chances are he will be a better player next season, having had most of a season under his belt this year.  The way we played since January has convinced me we could push for the top 6. if we keep our best players.

Another argument is that we need the cash. We always need cash. That doesn't change. I know we have debts, but lets be honest, they are interest free and neither Boyle or Les are beating down the doors to get their cash back.

I want to go to Fir Park and watch good football, especially if the talented players are homegrown. If we don't get a chance to watch then, what is the point? It's just subsisting at the most basic level. 

I know he's not away yet. I think he is too good for the SPFL. He should go abroad to a more technical league. He IS THAT good.

The club always talk about being fan owned. If that is the case we deserve to know the full facts of the deal. For me, Undesclosed feels like a slap in the face. (Just my opinion). 

I agree that we would not be having this debate if the bid had come from anyone other than the old firm.

However, If the club agreed to sell DT for a set fee and we have viable plans for the club, let's here them so that we can have a balanced view.

I'm going for a lie down now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alanos said:

Have read the thread form the moment the news broke.

Have a few thoughts.

My opinion is that we should keep him for at least another year. Yes, I know the talk of gentlemens agreement etc. Turnbull said himself when he signed a new contract that he had other offers. He wanted to play for Motherwell. Then there's talk of a gamble in not accepting Celtic's bid. Yes, he could get injures or have a loss of form. However, chances are he will be a better player next season, having had most of a season under his belt this year.  The way we played since January has convinced me we could push for the top 6. if we keep our best players.

Another argument is that we need the cash. We always need cash. That doesn't change. I know we have debts, but lets be honest, they are interest free and neither Boyle or Les are beating down the doors to get their cash back.

I want to go to Fir Park and watch good football, especially if the talented players are homegrown. If we don't get a chance to watch then, what is the point? It's just subsisting at the most basic level. 

I know he's not away yet. I think he is too good for the SPFL. He should go abroad to a more technical league. He IS THAT good.

The club always talk about being fan owned. If that is the case we deserve to know the full facts of the deal. For me, Undesclosed feels like a slap in the face. (Just my opinion). 

I agree that we would not be having this debate if the bid had come from anyone other than the old firm.

However, If the club agreed to sell DT for a set fee and we have viable plans for the club, let's here them so that we can have a balanced view.

I'm going for a lie down now.

Spot on

Whatever happened to players who have just broke into the first team hanging around for more than a year before seeking their fortune? Different times I know, however, players like Brian McClair, Tom Void, Phil O’Donnell  etc at least gave us a few years before jumping ship. These days they are barely out of nappies before Celtic come calling. We never seem to get to enjoy these once in a lifetime players anymore unless they are scoring against us. 

1 hour ago, superward said:

Scotsman reports c3m fee + 'acheivable' add ons + sell on fee.

If we sell him with a sell-on then Celtic sell him with a sell on, we get a percentage of the fee Celtic get, do we get a percentage of the sell on after the third club sell him? 

49 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aye in 1994 so 8 million with UK inflation and much more than that with football inflation. 

FFS get a grip, so based on a 25  year old transfer figure you think we have been shafted, and  that £3 million plus add-ons, plus a sell on fee for a 19 year old who has only played 30 odd 1st team games and cost us feck all is a bad deal....ok then :doh:

25 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Whatever happened to players who have just broke into the first team hanging around for more than a year before seeking their fortune? Different times I know, however, players like Brian McClair, Tom Void, Phil O’Donnell  etc at least gave us a few years before jumping ship. These days they are barely out of nappies before Celtic come calling. We never seem to get to enjoy these once in a lifetime players anymore unless they are scoring against us. 

Remember when we sold Ally Mauchlen ( club captain) and Gary McCallister to Leicester City for a combined fee of £250k just before the season started

Our best player and a promising youngster ……… something just never change 

Was raging at the time but life goes on ………… still supporting the Well and am sure once all this Hullabaloo cams doing everyone will still be cheering the boys on

Shite happens 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

A good sell on % could make a decent deal exceptional and make a transfer to Celtic a bit more palatable. It would be nice to hear confirmation officially though, rather than via media outlets which speculate almost as much as folk on football forums.

It's worth remembering that at the moment there's nothing to confirm, as the deal hasn't been done. The club can't really be making statements beyond what they already have regarding a transfer that's not finalised.

31 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Remember when we sold Ally Mauchlen ( club captain) and Gary McCallister to Leicester City for a combined fee of £250k just before the season started

Our best player and a promising youngster ……… something just never change 

I remember it well, I also remember my favourite player Dixie Deans going to Celtic (there they are again).  Yip, some things never change. 

36 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Remember when we sold Ally Mauchlen ( club captain) and Gary McCallister to Leicester City for a combined fee of £250k just before the season starteD

Was the club not forced into that given some financial mismanagement?

25 minutes ago, David said:

It's worth remembering that at the moment there's nothing to confirm, as the deal hasn't been done. The club can't really be making statements beyond what they already have regarding a transfer that's not finalised.

Would we have been better to say nothing until it had all been finalised or was this announcement the correct approach? I’m not sure either way.

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

Would we have been better to say nothing until it had all been finalised or was this announcement the correct approach? I’m not sure either way.

I don't think it hurts to let potential other suitors know that there's an offer in.

3 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You know me Busta, I've been going since the 80s. I'm more than aware that we need to sell players, every now and again, and that Turnbull was never going to play for us next season. 

However, I reckon I've just about had enough of watching us sell every decent asset we ever seem to get a hold of, just as quickly as a larger team gets the cheque book out. The selling of Turnbull, to a team in the same league, a team that continually decimates other teams, a team that continually shouts about lack of a domestic challenge, a team that is supported to the neck by absolute wankers, and many from around here.

This isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to Turnbull leaving for Celtic (if indeed that happens), its years and years of the same sort of stuff, and years of watching our pish poor, unequal league. No doubt I'll end up buying my season ticket, but this constant rebuild year on year, is getting on my tits, as is dealing with a Club, who I wouldn't pish on.

I get that, I understand your reasoning too, I think we all feel the same regardless of how accepting of it we are. 

I can only imagine it will get worse as the years go on.

See you in yer ST seat next year mate!! ;)

3 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Imagine if the press was reporting it as they would but the club was saying nothing...

5 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

The club are trying to let the fans down gently.

If the first thing people heard about it was a photo of Turnbull with a green and white scarf the support would have went apoplectic. By dragging it out over weeks people will be calmer about it and the usual suspects can do their unpaid PR work online.

1 minute ago, David said:

I don't think it hurts to let potential other suitors know that there's an offer in.

It may also put other suitors off as the club statement said “We have agreed a fee with Celtic for the potential sale of David Turnbull”. Reading between the lines that may suggest to other suitors that David prefers to stay in Scotland. Who knows, I’m sure all will become clear either today or tomorrow. Obviously I would rather he went down south or abroad.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If the first thing people heard about it was a photo of Turnbull with a green and white scarf the support would have went apoplectic. By dragging it out over weeks people will be calmer about it and the usual suspects can do their unpaid PR work online.

Maybe they could have phrased it differently by saying... “We have received an improved offer from Glasgow Celtic and the board are meeting to discuss it.” Phrasing it like that would still have alerted other potential suitors without the need to say... “We have agreed a fee with Celtic...”

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Ok, it’s the usual conspiracy.

1 hour ago, David said:

Oh, I think they have confirmed quite a lot.......Deal or no deal

They have confirmed that Celtic met the Club's valuation. They have confirmed they have given Turnbull permission to speak to Celtic. They have confirmed they turned down unacceptable offers of around £2m.  They have confirmed "achievable" add ons totalling £250k. They have confirmed that the sale is with a view to securing a future without debt . They have confirmed funds will be utilised to create a stronger base for development under fan ownership. . Confirmation that the deal would also provide additional income if Celtic cash in would not be amiss.

And if it is all just about geeing up other interested parties, then suggesting add ons including a sell on clause had been agreed with Celtic would be a good move.

• Like 2

Like everyone else, I was gutted when I read the news that Celtic had a bid accepted.  

I'm proud of our wee club (not offensive, realistic) producing a player of Turnbull's standard. If he's already outgrown Motherwell and needs to take the next step to progress his career, he goes with my best wishes.  I had hoped that the next step would be an English club, or one further abroad, that would give him game time and help him become a firm fixture in the national team.

The Old Firm disgust me.  I won't go into the litany of reasons why because they are self-evident. 

I see a lot of criticism of the club for doing business with 'them'.  The fact (something that is sparing in this thread) is that we are in debt and this fee will clear that debt. Once we're debt free, and only then, can we then debate the merits of keeping our best players, when to sell, etc.

The decision from the club isn't questionable. 

What I've barely seen acknowledged yet is someone else's decision...the player himself.

If Turnbull honestly thinks signing for Celtic is the right move for him then he is badly misguided. That's not the fault of Burrows or anyone else at the club.

No one, I'm sure, is forcing Turnbull to sign for Celtic. He's a grown man and has a choice to make. For his career's sake, I hope he doesn't think Neil Lennon and being knocked out of the Europa League group stages is the answer. If he does, that's on him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

...I hope he doesn't think Neil Lennon and being knocked out of the Europa League group stages is the answer. If he does, that's on him. 

Andy Robertson and Paul Lambert have the answer on how to make it at the top level in Europe. He could do worse than have a word with them before coming to a decision. Hull City was the best move Andy ever made as it gave him a platform to show Liverpool what he was all about. Dortmund was the best move that Lambert ever made and his European Cup medal is proof of that. 

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Talk of not renewing season tickets and never goin back is fucking wild. 

Yep, this patter is pissing me off as well. Not enough through the gates regularly enough is the reason we have to sell to be sustainable in the first place - the irony.

I'm sad to see turnbull leave but realistically we were never going to reject 3M plus. I'm more surprised celtic played ball tbh.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic