The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

58 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Entertainment is a very broad term.Were you not entertained getting to 2 cup finals?

Also , there could be a few David Turnbulls coming through the youths for all we know .We all wish in a perfect world he could stay but the money could take us up a few levels.

I was certainly entertained getting to 2 cup finals. Battering Rangers then Aberdeen in both semis have to be up there in my top 10 moments following Motherwell.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kmac said:

Not, but we will if we consistently  replace with poorer quality than what’s leaving.

its not only about being relegated, it’s about quality and entertainment value, which (second half of last season apart) has been woeful since Robinson arrived; and I include the cup finals seasons in that.

Nothing pleases you does it, Selling Turnbull will not see us relegated. Robinson realised how much of a fuck up the first six months of the season was and he fixed it and by the signings he has made so far realises playing with two wingers is the way forward so we will continue to play that way.

You clearly have an issue with how Robinson sets his teams out but like it or loathe he has been successful with the players he has at his disposal.

Turnbull was always going to leave, now it's time for semple, cornelius or reece mcAlear to step up and we go again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

My view too Yorky. 

For me, the critical question is "Is there a sell on clause?" We don't know as the press articles are all vague and not entirely consistent. 

That is the concern I have. Could we really turn down a bid of £3m from anybody?  No, even from Celtic.    But  in David’s case a sell on clause could well net us the same amount again in a few year’s time. And selling on at a vast profit is the way Celtic operate. VVD, Armstrong and soon to be Ntcham and Mcgregor as examples. And they rake it in as well through their own sell on clauses... again VVD and soon to be Dembele as examples. But Celtic also have a policy of refusing sell-on clauses when they buy from the Scottish market.

Given that both Alan Burrows and Andrew Wilson ( who chipped in with his reasons why it was a great deal) actively respond to questions via Twitterland I contacted both with the question “ Is there a sell on clause?  Never mind %, just a straight yes or no”. Despite them answering other questions before and after mine, I have had no response. The silence is deafening and I fear Celtic may well have stuck to their Policy. But I just don’t know for sure.

In the past any transfer , particularly unpopular ones, has been accompanied by a Club Statement along the lines of “ We have ensured the Club is protected in the event of ??? being sold on”.  Maybe I have missed it, but in all the Club comments regarding this potential sale I have seen no such reassurance. Even though Terms have been fully agreed. I believe it is a legitimate question to pose.

To clarify, I think the Club acted correctly in accepting a negotiated fee of £3m, but it does hurt that he will likely be heading to Celtic. He has been a delight to watch and I wish him well in his future career, which will undoubtedly include Scotland and an EPL Club. I just hope we are not selling ourselves short when he moves on from Celtic. If a decent sell on clause is included, then I think a good deal turns into a great deal.

• Like 2

I would like to assume that we have a sell on clause. It appears to have been our policy in recent years when it comes to selling our better players.

If there is not a sell on clause, that would be a deviation from standard policy.

I would like to think that appart from the upfront fee, we would make it a stipulation of any deal that we would insist on a sell on clause.

Any other add ons is just gravy.

31 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I was certainly entertained getting to 2 cup finals. Battering Rangers then Aberdeen in both semis have to be up there in my top 10 moments following Motherwell.

Totally agree about this,  in years to come I will look back and say I was more entertained getting to two finals than I was say scraping in the top 6.  The football under Robinson is no worse than it was in McCall's last year or so or McGhee's second spell. 

On the subject of Turnbull I will be gutted to see him go but definetly not in a position to turn this money down.   Just a pity it is Celtic.   

16 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

On the subject of Turnbull I will be gutted to see him go but definetly not in a position to turn this money down.  

If we didn't sell Turnubll this summer, we'd be just fine financially. (And it's not like we'd get no money for Turnbull in 12 months time). 

We just need to be careful we don't end up with a model that ships players out after a few games (or no games in some cases) rather than actually provide some benefit to the first team squad. This feels like we're tipping the balance too much to the cashing in side of our business plan. 

Of course we are a selling club - but the "grow your own" model is supposed to provide the core of our team too. If Cadden moves on in the summer, Campbell is the only regular starter left who came through the system.

We might see Maguire, Scott, Semple, Cornelius etc. involved next season, but there needs to be a balance between on the field needs vs off the field finances.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, David said:

What if Turnbull fancies the move though? 

Then obviously it's a different scenario.

Everything Turnbull said last season, however, suggested he is more than happy to play out another season at Fir Park getting regular first team football.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Then obviously it's a different scenario.

Everything Turnbull said last season, however, suggested he is more than happy to play out another season at Fir Park getting regular first team football.

Everyone says that until the reality of the offer being made hits home, both financially and professionally. Of course, the player himself doesn't have to sign for Celtic, he could knock them back.

Also, it's all too easy for us fans to sit here on our laptops and claim that we'd tell Celtic to fuck off, or that we'd knock back this or that, but the people with the decisions to make have been charged by the club to do what's right for the clubs financial future.

This isn't aimed at you personally, but I've seen others commenting that we should wait on a better offer and so forth, as if none of these factors have been considered by the people deemed qualified to run this side of things for the club.

If we're accepting the Celtic offer freely, under no pressure from the player that he wants to speak to Celtic, it's being done for a reason. We can surmise that there's a load of English clubs just waiting in the wings waiting to throw cash at us, but how do we know this is the case? Maybe we've only received offers a good bit lower than our £3 million valuation, with no real signs that there's going to be an increase in interest? 

I've commented previously that we can all claim that Turnbull is worth x amount, but in reality it's the market that determines that, not us. He's worth what a club is willing to pay.

As a fan I'd love to see Turnbull here again next season, but if I was in charge I'd certainly be considering that he's coming off a season in great form, and that he may not replicate that next season, meaning it may be best to strike while the iron is hot. I don't know how many times we're going to have a player that gets us £3 million or thereabouts, but it's money that could change the financial situation at the club in a fairly substantial way.

If there are clubs willing to put in better offers where are they, two days and no further news on any other concrete offers. That suggests no one else is interested in raising the bar.

• Like 1

I asked about the bid(s) and was told that ONLY Celtic were willing to meet the valuation. Few others were interested but not on the terms Motherwell were asking for.

Maybe that could have prompted someone else to act but I saw he completed a medical today according to the media. So it's probably getting announced soon.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I asked about the bid(s) and was told that ONLY Celtic were willing to meet the valuation. Few others were interested but not on the terms Motherwell were asking for.

Maybe that could have prompted someone else to act but I saw he completed a medical today according to the media. So it's probably getting announced soon.

Saw Graeme McGarry tweeted that so you have to assume it'll be a done deal anytime. 

Apparently according to Graeme McGarry in today's herald, Man City had asked to be kept informed. Also in the same article it suggests we have a substantial sell on fee included. 

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

Perfect. I look forward to our new status as a relatively wealthy Scottish club (especially now with Cadden also likely away), languishing in the championship after a shitfest of a 19/20 season.  

We’ve just or are in the process of bagging 4M+ from Turnbull and development fees for Cadden and Hastie (the later a little while longer in coming) however this bank balance can be used to sustain as after 0 significant squad reinvestment sees us picking up smaller and smaller crowds.

If you’re pretty sure of relegation, you should get a price and get some dosh on it.You will make money , club will have their money.....win, win

For what’s it worth I am sure we’ll be fine , possibly top 6.

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

Perfect. I look forward to our new status as a relatively wealthy Scottish club (especially now with Cadden also likely away), languishing in the championship after a shitfest of a 19/20 season.  

We’ve just or are in the process of bagging 4M+ from Turnbull and development fees for Cadden and Hastie (the later a little while longer in coming) however this bank balance can be used to sustain as after 0 significant squad reinvestment sees us picking up smaller and smaller crowds.

You on the glue? 

How do you know there'll be "zero significant squad reinvestment" then? There's plenty of time in this window, and I'd wager we'll see some good players picked up between now and the close of the window.

I'd bet my last pound that David even at this stage is looking at his phone every 30 seconds to see if another club has come in for him because in his heart of hearts he probably doesn't want to really sign for Celtic being a Well boy to the core.

But when you've got the carrot of  a big wage dangling in front of you and knowing that you're setting up the club you've grown up with financial stability with the transfer fee then its hard to turn it down.

11 minutes ago, santheman said:

I'd bet my last pound that David even at this stage is looking at his phone every 30 seconds to see if another club has come in for him because in his heart of hearts he probably doesn't want to really sign for Celtic being a Well boy to the core.

But when you've got the carrot of  a big wage dangling in front of you and knowing that you're setting up the club you've grown up with financial stability with the transfer fee then its hard to turn it down.

Maybe not, but he also knows he will likely feature in Scotland squads straight away. Increase his salary by many multiples and more importantly win silverwear which he would not do anywhere else down south apart from top 5 or 6. 

It is a good deal for us. Potentially £3.5m (with achievable add ons) + a sell on clause that could eventually net us in excess of £4m in total. Still think it undervalued him, but that is based on what a selling club down south would get if he had a similar season, rather than reality of the situation that he is playing for Motherwell in Scottish league. 

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My view too Yorky. 

A lot of OTT reaction on here so far.  For me, the critical question is "Is there a sell on clause?" We don't know as the press articles are all vague and not entirely consistent. I also get the impression, maybe wrongly, that there is a clause in his contract covering being allowed to talk to clubs if bids of a certain value are received.     

Its now been a day or two since the news about us agreeing Celtic's bid being accepted was made public.  Interested parties from down south have now had the time, the means and the financial clout to submit better bids, and as far we know have not done so.  Time will tell if they do so.   

The lad himself has done well by us by signing a new deal so good on him.  I never expected him to stay until next season.

NOBODY is submitting a better bid! We have accepted Celtic's bid,so anyone else looking to buy him will bid the same amount and any extra will go to the player in higher wages etc. 

IF there is genuine interest in Turnbull from England then the club have seriously fucked this up, as they have killed any potential "bidding war" by accepting the first half decent amount!

However, same as with the transfer fee Celtic will pay us, we will never know!

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

There was something a bit off about Burrows' Twitter announcement.

It was almost as if he was trying to force through the move to Celtic.

Strange.

Disagree.  We had reached a point where an acceptable offer had been reached.  I saw this as a way of getting this out there. A last call to the interested clubs.

The club always prefers to sell to England if possible as the potential returns from sell on clauses are much higher.

• David locked this topic