The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

This is only good news if it happens and more importantly a club down south are prepared to match or exceed Celtics offer. 

Win win all round if that happens. But if the deal does not go through then one or two clubs may try it on and put in an offer lower than Celtics. I don’t want him to go there but I want most amount of money..

This could be a disaster for Motherwell as if the deal falls through, then no other club could be willing to pay the £3 million. 

Might mean he stays with us for another season or the club have to accept a lower offer.

All ifs and buts i suppose.

Interesting. Could put the club and Turnbull at odds. What happens in the situation if Turnbull says 'I want to go to Southampton/Bournemouth/Everton' but the club he wants to go to only offers £2m? Easy answer is he stays but unhappily and club maybe pissed off at missing out on a huge amount of cash. Not an ideal situation. If this costs the club £1m+, is he still a hero?

Just now, johnstone said:

This could be a disaster for Motherwell as if the deal falls through, then no other club could be willing to pay the £3 million. 

Might mean he stays with us for another season or the club have to accept a lower offer.

I imagine Burrows will not be a happy chap 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Based on the article it’s his representatives that have rejected the offer. Not sure how much he has been involved at all 

I'm not so sure.

Given DT apparently went against his agents advice when he signed the extension with us I think this is more likely a personal decision, even a footballing one. 

The boy seems smart enough to know that Celtic is not the move to enhance his career.

Just now, johnstone said:

A disaster if we keep our best player! :lol:

The idea that if a transfer isn't done by the middle of June we won't sell him is a bit daft. There has hardly been any transfer business done yet in England.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Based on the article it’s his representatives that have rejected the offer. Not sure how much he has been involved at all 

His representatives work for him. They won't be deciding squat without his approval.

4 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Wouldn't go as far as a disaster but £3m would make a huge difference to a club our size so it puts us in a tricky situation. 

Interesting times...

Just now, steelboy said:

Exactly.

He's not some illiterate South American.

Quite.

Anything that his representatives ask for, discuss or accept will be done on the players orders and knowledge. 

It could very well be that he's been curious to see exactly what Celtic were going to offer, and has thought "Yeah, I can probably better that elsewhere." He strikes me as a savvy, mature operator does Turnbull. He's no mug.

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A disaster if we keep our best player! :lol:

The idea that if a transfer isn't done by the middle of June we won't sell him is a bit daft. There has hardly been any transfer business done yet in England.

As I say, if's and buts. I would love him to stay, but I think Motherwell as a business are looking at the long game and the huge difference the money would make to the club. As you say though plently more fish in the sea!

• David locked this topic