The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

Very much a tale of two players and two different personalities at this point. Hastie who had a bit of history of not putting in the work, overweight, less than wise tweets while on a lads holiday, and already looking like he will be loaned out with  question marks already raised at this point, Rangers trying to hoover up Scottish  talent to avoid him going to a competitor with no real plan for his development.

Celtic trying to do the same with what looks like a far wiser individual in Turnbull who has noted what’s already happening with Hastie and is looking at the bigger picture and how he would like his career to develop. The next move for Turnbull is huge, the same way it was for Hastie who I feel made the wrong decision, big money yes but I think he’s also put his whole football career at risk. I just don’t think Turnbull is going to make that mistake and if he does join Celtic it will only be when he’s happy that the plans they have for him are to his benefit.

I would love him to stay for another season with us but that’s for purely selfish reasons. He’s playing with others that are not at his technical level and never will be, that goes for the league as a whole, so how does he develop further ? He needs to be playing with players that are better than him, that will improve his game, coaches that are used to working with the best players in the world. He’s definitely looking for a move down south now which with the right club and everything they can offer development wise makes sense. He’s probably gone as far as he can in the Scottish game which is a level below his ability.

• Like 3

Absolute banter - I love it.

As someone else said, I dont think anyone has really done much wrong here in my eyes.

Club accepted a great bid and wanted to control the story and let us know rather than it coming via the papers. They didnt say it was a done deal. Just they agreed a fee. Fine.

Celtic have offered what they think is right. Fine.

Turnbull and advisors have considered and said no thanks. Fine.

He might still go to them I guess with some other talks but I'm guessing down south is now the destination.

17 hours ago, stuwell said:

If he stays he can’t be pissed off with Motherwell as - allegedly - when the price in his contract was reached he was allowed to talk to the club that made the offer, he or his agent knocked it back so he’s no reason to upset. 

I'm reading a lot of stuff in the media that seems to be following the line of the agent knocking back deals and suchlike. It's worth remembering that the agent actually works for Turnbull, not the other way around. I know there's a weird misconception that these evil, sneaky agents are all taking advantage of these poor, unfortunate souls who don't know any better, forcing them to take deals they don't want to sign and being "in their ear" about this and that.

Anything the agent knocked back will have been done entirely in consultation with his client. They are one and the same in these discussions. If the agent knocks back a deal from Celtic, he's doing so at the behest of Turnbull.

• Like 2

Exactly.

I think it's mainly Celtic fans who are coming away with the agent shite, in an attempt to square away in their mind the very notion that someone would actually knock back the famous Glasgow Celtic.

It can't be the player who's knocking them back obviously, as every Scottish born footballer dreams of pulling on the Hoops, and would walk to Parkhead to sign a contract with them. 

Has to be the agent being greedy, giving the impressionable young lad some bad advice, surely? Scuppering his clients chance at a move of a lifetime to try and wring some more pounds out of a bigger deal down south.

52 minutes ago, well_said said:

Don't know how accurate this information is ,but it came from a Celtic fan in a fairly professional  occupation but the wage on offer to David was 2k per week.

I had heard £20k a week was on offer. Don't believe that, suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

6 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I had heard £20k a week was on offer. Don't believe that, suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

I think that's what Turnbull wanted, but he was offered in the region of £12,000 per week if the reports of similar wages to those initially given to Wanyama and Van Dijk are to be believed.

It does not matter if Turnbull was offered 2k or 20k a week truth is he obviously did not fancy signing for Celtic as I suspect he could not get a guarantee from them that he would play every week, and maybe he also did not like the set up on offer at Parkhead 

More wages are a given wherever he goes so I suspect he wants to play every week and continue his development so fair play to him.

All this magnificent offer and more wages than van dijk shite leaked by Celtic is to try to deflect the story away from them to hide the fact a player told them to jog on and never signed, :nod:

• Like 1

from the bbc gossip

Sheffield Wednesday are poised to meet Motherwell's £3m valuation for David Turnbull, who rejected an initial offer from Celtic, with Bristol Cityand Southampton also still keen on the 19-year-old midfielder. (Scottish Sun On Sunday)

Motherwell midfielder David Turnbull is still open to a move to Celticdespite the Scottish champions' revealing he had rejected their contract terms, with the Scotland Under-21 international ready to choose the club that offers him the best option to progress his playing career rather than the most cash. (Sunday Mail)

From the Sun Sheffield Wednesday Link

WANTED MAN David Turnbull’s transfer to Celtic on brink of collapse with Sheffield Wednesday ready to hijack move
EXCLUSIVE
By Andy Devlin
16 Jun 2019, 8:30Updated: 16 Jun 2019, 8:44
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY are poised to hijack Celtic’s move for David Turnbull.

SunSport can reveal the Owls will meet Motherwell’s £3million asking price for the highly-rated midfielder.

The Hoops had a £3m bid accepted by Well on Wednesday and had hoped to confirm Turnbull as Neil Lennon’s first signing of the summer on Friday.

But after failing to agree personal terms with the talented teenager, the entire deal is on the brink of collapse.

That has put a host of English clubs including Bristol City and Southampton back on red alert.

Barnsley have already failed with a bid and last night it emerged Championship rivals Wednesday are now ready to swoop.

It’s understood the Owls had Turnbull watched several times last season, but feared their chance to sign him this summer had come and gone.

And while the door on a move to Celtic has not been completely closed, it’s clear that there will need to be a significant shift from the Parkhead club to get the deal over the line.

Celts insists though they won’t be held to ransom — maintaining they have made the player a “magnificent” offer.

They have warned the Well starlet to take it or leave it.

A statement read: “Celtic was pleased to agree a record-breaking fee with Motherwell and we have quickly followed this up with a fantastic offer to the player through his agent.

“Currently, we have been unable to come to an agreement with the player’s agent.

“Celtic is content that it has made a magnificent offer and it is now up to the agent and player to decide if the player wants to join Celtic. If not, we move on.”

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell is believed to be surprised that a deal has not been concluded.

It’s believed the club tabled a five-figure weekly wage offer — more than Virgil van Dijk, right, and Victor Wanyama started on at Parkhead.

Sources close to the deal claim Turnbull’s representatives are asking for close to £20,000 a week.

That figure is more than many of Neil Lennon’s treble Treble winners earn and the Premiership champions have made it clear they won’t break their wage structure.

A source close to the player told SunSport the initial offer from Celts was nowhere near acceptable to the teenager.

As a result, it’s understood the player is keeping all his options open.

It’s thought one of the key considerations for Turnbull and his advisors was regular first-team football.

Well bosses previously revealed that more than 15 CLUBS had watched Scotland’s Young Player of the Year during the closing weeks of the season.

Turnbull hit 15 goals for the Steelmen in his debut season and also won his first caps for Scotland’s Under-21 team.

The 19-year-old’s brilliant campaign was recognised last month when he collected the SFWA Young Player of the Year award at a glittering dinner in Glasgow.

21 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Hopefully he can combine the best cash with the best career advancement for himself.  Of course it would also be nifty if it was also the best financial deal for MFC as well. 

And a massive GIRUY to Celtic so everyone is a winner :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

It does not matter if Turnbull was offered 2k or 20k a week truth is he obviously did not fancy signing for Celtic as I suspect he could not get a guarantee from them that he would play every week, and maybe he also did not like the set up on offer at Parkhead 

More wages are a given wherever he goes so I suspect he wants to play every week and continue his development so fair play to him.

All this magnificent offer and more wages than van dijk shite leaked by Celtic is to try to deflect the story away from them to hide the fact a player told them to jog on and never signed, :nod:

I would not rule out him still joining Celtic. He’s looking at his options and i’d be very surprised if he’s said i’m definitely not joining Celtic, I think they are still probably favourites if nothing concrete down south. 

Sheffield Wednesday would be a good move for all parties. They are a pretty big championship club with aspirations to get back to the premiership. Probably have a decent chance of forcing himself into the first team and if successful, the sell on fee to a bigger club will be more sizeable than if he went to Celtic. A few Scots boys there too so he should have a bit of support.

Southampton wouldnt be the worst either. My only concern there is its up another level and Stuart Armstrong has struggled to nail down his place in their team. Not saying David Turbull couldnt do it but its stiff competition right there.

• David locked this topic