The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 hour ago, johnstone said:

Rumours of Man City folks...

From where Johnstone ? You are not normally a bullshitter, but if true surprised none of the media have picked up on it yet. 

If some team met our fee and loaned us him back that would be the ideal scenario, but also the most unlikely one sadly. 

Celtic fans are turning against the idea now as he has has the audacity to say no. Something does not add up. Turnbull does not strike me as the type of guy that is on circa £1000 per week and would demand more than £10,000 as is being reported in most of the papers. 

Some soap opera this is turning out to be.

9 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

From where Johnstone ? You are not normally a bullshitter, but if true surprised none of the media have picked up on it yet. 

If some team met our fee and loaned us him back that would be the ideal scenario, but also the most unlikely one sadly. 

Celtic fans are turning against the idea now as he has has the audacity to say no. Something does not add up. Turnbull does not strike me as the type of guy that is on circa £1000 per week and would demand more than £10,000 as is being reported in most of the papers. 

Some soap opera this is turning out to be.

Heard from a few people that Man City have asked Motherwell to be kept up to date with his transfer developments. 

6 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Heard from a few people that Man City have asked Motherwell to be kept up to date with his transfer developments. 

Well as of late last week we as a club accepted Celtics offer of £3.25m + £0.25m + sell on fee of circa 15%. 

You would have thought if they or any other English club were serious they would have matched that offer straight away. Burrows has said on record that it was looking v unlikely that any other English club were prepared to meet our valuation. That may well change and early next week. 

I don’t want him to go to Celtic, but I also do not want the club to potentially miss out on £3.5m. Sure he could start the season on fire and go for more. Or he could get an injury or this whole episode could affect his performances...

At least it is giving us some entertainment before friendlies and League cup.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if a number of English teams were keeping tabs on the top rated Scottish prospects. It doesn't mean they will be signing them any time soon, but they'd be failing in their scouting set ups if they weren't monitoring all the young talent across Europe. The fact that guys like McGinn and Roberston have made an impact recently has certainly done our game no harm. 

The Celtic negotation statements are pretty standard negotiation BS, though, and I wouldn't read any more into that than into Sevco's "no longer interested in Hastie" statements.

When you think of it this way 3 million is totally nothing for a big club to spend and loan him back for a season or even two see how it goes.I mean Sanchez at Man Utd earns about 1.5 million a month.

They take risks on tons and tons of players and never make it I am shocked none have took a punt on Turnbull.

4 minutes ago, MrBeee said:

When you think of it this way 3 million is totally nothing for a big club to spend and loan him back for a season or even two see how it goes.I mean Sanchez at Man Utd earns about 1.5 million a month.

They take risks on tons and tons of players and never make it I am shocked none have took a punt on Turnbull.

I d question hes actually earned much or any of that

1 hour ago, johntaylormfc said:

It’s definitely true. His name is one on a list of prospects they have been tracking and they contacted the club  at the end of season ask about him and how much we would be looking for

A few years in Girona and City would punt him for £8m easily.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Well as of late last week we as a club accepted Celtics offer of £3.25m + £0.25m + sell on fee of circa 15%.

All a bit unclear at the moment.  Does anyone know what theCeltic up front fee actually is? I've seen conflicting media reports of between £2.75m to £3.25m.  Also, is there a sell on clause?   

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

All a bit unclear at the moment.  Does anyone know what theCeltic up front fee actually is? I've seen conflicting media reports of between £2.75m to £3.25m.  Also, is there a sell on clause?   

Add ons and sell on are there. The actual fee is up for a bit of guessing, as low as 2.4m to 3.25m quoted.

1 hour ago, johnstone said:

i find the "kept up to date with transfer developments" very odd  ... why would they want to be kept up to date? .....so when someone they don't like comes in they can say we want him. If Man City want him they could get him they know he's available so what is there to be kept up to date with

22 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

i find the "kept up to date with transfer developments" very odd  ... why would they want to be kept up to date? .....so when someone they don't like comes in they can say we want him. If Man City want him they could get him they know he's available so what is there to be kept up to date with

Yep, either they want him or they don’t.

29 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Yep, either they want him or they don’t.

Or they are monitoring his development and might be more interested in him 3 or 4 years from now.  Well funded EPL sides play a long game that we can only dream about.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Or they are monitoring his development and might be more interested in him 3 or 4 years from now.  Well funded EPL sides play a long game that we can only dream about.

Thing is there won’t be much point in us keeping them in the loop in 3/4 years time.

"Celtic FC is content that it has made a magnificent offer and it is now up to the agent and player to decide if the player wants to join Celtic." 

I still can't get over how utterly fucking mental this quote is. It's actually staggering! 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic