The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

"Bidding wars" don't exist.

Of course they do.

In instances where a club actively doesn't have to sell, but has intimated that it could be convinced to sell to the highest bidder. Obviously that doesn't apply to us in this situation though.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

"Bidding wars" don't exist.

Teams will accept £xxx, The only bidding wars after that are for the players wages. Clubs have a price. More than one club are able to meet and and negotiate with the player & representatives.

Also I still believe he will sign for Celtic.

You’ve mentioned a few times now Busta that you think he will sign for Celtic....you know something so spill the beans.:P

9 hours ago, Shaka said:

Ive said that from the start. We killed any chance of a bidding war stone dead by accepting the first offer around our valuation.

Now in my opinion, theres one of three options why the club has done this, firstly we have a pre-agreed clause in Turnbull's new contract, secondly there is no other genuine interest in Turnbull, or lastly the club has made a cunt of it. Time will tell which one it most likely was.

I think way too much is been made of something that’s pretty simple. Motherwell had a figure in mind that a club had to match and only Celtic did, the other published bids fell short. There never was a bidding war and the last few days have shown there was never going to be one. There has been nothing to stop any other club matching the Celtic offer and not one has come forward. Turnbull has as good as said to other clubs down south “come and get me”, so where are they ? So he either joins Celtic at a figure we are happy with, or we get a lower offer from down south big a big sell on clause which is beginning to look doubtful. With every passing day it’s looking more like Celtic are nailed on.

7 minutes ago, David said:

It's still early on in the transfer window, plenty of time for deals to be done.

I don’t see this going on for weeks, deal sorted with the next few days in my view.

21 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

I’ve  seen a few people saying Turnbull has just started following a few Celtic players and other Celtic related accounts on Twitter...

The moment Celtic started leaking reports about the alleged stalemate in negotiations, it was pretty much a done deal.

It's almost like a script they feel they need to follow:

- Make a low offer

- Selling club rejects it as "insulting"

- Make a middling offer

- Selling club rejects as "not even close to our valuation"

- Make the proper offer

- Selling club accepts it

- Player offered terms

- Player rejects terms

- Signing club says "magnificent offer, will walk if he doesn't accept it"

- Signing club quietly meets demands

- Everything announced as "undisclosed terms" 

32 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

I’ve  seen a few people saying Turnbull has just started following a few Celtic players and other Celtic related accounts on Twitter...

Just had a peek.

Only Celtic player he's following is Keiran Tierney.

He's following Celtic, but also Rangers, EK Thistle, QOS...

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

Just had a peek.

Queens fans must be getting excited.

35 minutes ago, Richie said:

Just had a peek.

He started following The Celtic Bible about an hour ago by the looks of it...

Is it just me that thinks that grown adults trawling Twitter to check who someone is following is a bit bizarre , Turnbull is to all intents a Celtic player now , so good luck to him in his career, let's move on, and see which one of the new colt players will be the next Turnbull.

2 hours ago, Well-Made said:

Scottish Sun says it's all sorted out now as Brown welcomes Turnbull to Cetic

Bye Davie

And halfway through another story in the same paper Sheffield Wednesday have matched the £3 Millon pound valuation....

So maybe just covering all bases.. :)

I suspect he'll end up at Celtic but it does make me laugh that Scott Brown saying how great a place Celtic would be to play his football is him 'welcoming' Turnbull to Celtic...

I will actually be intrigued to see how he gets on at Celtic, i tend to try and watch Scottish clubs in Europe and if there is Scottish football on the tele I will watch that over the English league so it will be good to see how he gets on. if he went to Barnsley for example i highly doubt i'd have seen him kick a ball again until he made the step up. I will genuinely follow his career because I think he has it in him to play at a much higher level than Celtic.

My dad always said that  we sold Ian St John and used the money to build the monstrosity that is the main stand. If Turnbull goes to Celtic I hope the money won't be used on white elephant projects.

It’s a fairly well and openly documented piece of our history. I also believe it wasn’t universally received by the support at the time and was poorly used initially as a form of protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, postiejim said:

My dad always said that  we sold Ian St John and used the money to build the monstrosity that is the main stand. If Turnbull goes to Celtic I hope the money won't be used on white elephant projects.

Not the best of stands for well documented reasons but it was certainly an improvement on the corrugated iron structure that it replaced. 

Can't say I've ever considered a monstrosity myself... certainly somewhat of a monument to bad planning that perhaps should've been foreseen before they started, but it's these sorts of historical quirks that make old stadiums unique and interesting.

When people talk about "soulless" new stadia, that's often what they really mean -- not that they don't have a great atmosphere on matchdays, just that if you removed the club branding, you'd be hard-pushed to tell some of them apart when they're empty. You only need to look at our main stand to know there's a story behind it.

• David locked this topic