The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

13 minutes ago, postiejim said:

You'd be in the know there Busta ,you've said that would be his destiny...:thumbup:

Aye but that was just based on instinct and not getting carried away when it was reported their terms were "rejected". When I'd guess there was no rejection.

I think what's perhaps surprised me the most has been the apparent lack of interest from clubs down south to meet the £3 million valuation. I, like many others, assumed that there'd be a good three or four clubs who'd be willing to pay that for him.

It seems there's been a lot of "interest" but no actual serious bids.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

someone mentioned there had been something like 11 transfers in the entire English leagues, English clubs don't get business done early on really hence the lack of bids. 

They don’t have European qualifiers or league cup in July, so probably a few weeks before most of them are back. Presume we start back training next week for league cup?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

someone mentioned there had been something like 11 transfers in the entire English leagues, English clubs don't get business done early on really hence the lack of bids. 

End of the day they have had the chance regardless, no real excuses. If they really wanted him they would have come in by now. Celtic’s gain is their loss in my view. Anyway, best of luck to him regardless, he did the right thing by the club.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

End of the day they have had the chance regardless, no real excuses. If they really wanted him they would have come in by now. Celtic’s gain is their loss in my view. Anyway, best of luck to him regardless, he did the right thing by the club.

I would imagine most Well fans think like this. No one is claiming he will definitely make the grade in terms of Premiership but he certainly has the potential.

I accept that comparing English league / transfers is a non starter, but if Liverpool are prepared to pay Swansea £18m for a young player that scored 4 goals last season then I am utterly bemused no one from down south is prepared to take him on board as a relatively low risk / cost given his impact and awards last season. Hey ho. 

16 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I accept that comparing English league / transfers is a non starter, but if Liverpool are prepared to pay Swansea £18m for a young player that scored 4 goals last season then I am utterly bemused no one from down south is prepared to take him on board as a relatively low risk / cost given his impact and awards last season. Hey ho. 

There’s so much money, they’re happy to wait and see. Let him prove himself and then pay the price.

See Andy Robertson or Virgil Van Dijk. (Or Paul Pogba!!!)

Just now, sbcmfc said:

There’s so much money, they’re happy to wait and see. Let him prove himself and then pay the price.

See Andy Robertson or Virgil Van Dijk. (Or Paul Pogba!!!)

And if we have a sell-on clause in any deal with Celtic then we'll benefit from such a move down the line. If we haven't got such a clause in any deal with Celtic then that's a massive own goal by the club I feel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David said:

And if we have a sell-on clause in any deal with Celtic then we'll benefit from such a move down the line. If we haven't got such a clause in any deal with Celtic then that's a massive own goal by the club I feel.

No reason to think we don't have sell-ons as part of the deal. We've done well from them already with the likes of Marvin Johnson and it's a core part of our financial model these days.

47 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Does that mean then that we can stop reaming the Club for accepting the only bid that meets our valuation  rather than the numerous better ones that were inevitably coming from down south?

No, Someone will undoubtedly be insistent that surely a club in England would take a chance...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, postiejim said:

My dad always said that  we sold Ian St John and used the money to build the monstrosity that is the main stand. If Turnbull goes to Celtic I hope the money won't be used on white elephant projects.

Was it not the money from Quinn, Hunter and St John that was used for the main stand ???

Motherwell come out of this looking very well imo. It would appear that no club in England is ready to  pay £3mil and in the end, Celtic have possibly ‘overpaid’ in order to avoid a re-run of the McGinn embarrassment. 

I look forward to watching the next chapter on David’s career. Barring injury, he’ll inevitably end up at a top English club but hopefully in the meantime we can watch one of our own progress on the European and international stage. Good luck to the boy, by far the most talented kid I’ve seen come through Fir Park in 30 years of watching Motherwell. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I agree with a few things said.

I am gutted he went to them but I only really watch Scottish fitba. So I can keeps tabs on him until he leaves.

If he follows the Lewis Morgan development path, you'll no be seeing him next season.

While I understand the reasons behind Turnbull taking the Celtic path, the best thing that happened to McGinn's career was moving to Villa. 

29 minutes ago, weeyin said:

No reason to think we don't have sell-ons as part of the deal. We've done well from them already with the likes of Marvin Johnson and it's a core part of our financial model these days.

The only doubt is that Celtic don’t usually  include them as part of any deal with Scottish clubs. In that way they maximise their profit when they cash in. I don’t recall Burrows or anyone from within MFC confirming a sell-on clause in any statement or on Twitter. 

Normally he is shouting it from the rooftops. As in the Johnson deal you highlight. And the question has been asked.  All speculation of course but I’ll believe the existence of such an arrangement when Motherwell announce it formally.

• David locked this topic