Jump to content

David

2018/2019 Game 37:St Johnstone (A) May 11th 3pm Kick off

Win? Lose? Or Draw?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What you reckon the outcome will be?

    • Motherwell win
      23
    • St Johnstone win
      8
    • Draw
      14

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2019 at 05:30 PM

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A very disappointing game yesterday from several standpoints.  We seemed to compete well enough for a 15-20 minute spell in the middle of the first half but apart from that we were very poor.  Saints could easily have been 3-0 up from headers in the first 10 minutes.  Overall they were far harder working, more aggressive, better organised and more experienced than we were.   We lost too many 50/50 battles and were very poor in the air.  We also looked well off the pace.  They wanted to win it badly and we were on the beach.  Tactics wise they smothered us and the 2 wingers style of play was again totally ineffective. Not sure why Hastie was in the squad and wasn't surprised when he was constantly barracked.  I don't agree with it but it goes with the territory as one of our party said. In his 15 minutes or so on the park he did nothing.  

The defence was shambles from start to finish giving Saints far too much time and room, especially on the wings. Both Dunne and Aldred are decent in their own way but perhaps they're the wrong combination - anyway not an issue next season. Of late though, Dunne has been very error prone.  Midfield just couldn't compete with faster and more aggressive opponents.  Turnbull sat too deep and McHugh far too slow and again got caught in possession.  We missed the departing Gorrin badly.  Up front, Scott ploughed a lone furrow and got little change out of big experienced centre backs.  He kept wandering out to the wings and the wingers and central midfielders were too far away to support him.  More experience for him though and his inclusion gives us an insight into Robbo's pre match objectives. 

The referee, Colin Steven, was way out of his depth and I didn't realise until afterwards that it was his first Premiership game in charge.  Not one he'll want to remember.   Not clear at the time, but from highlights, Tanser 100% handled the ball on the line.  Red card and penalty - no.  Who scored Saints' penalty - none other than Tanser.   Saints penalty?  It looked soft but tv highlights are inconclusive.  Certainly Kane made the most of it.  What is it about Kane, Dunne and penalties!! Ref lost the plot at the penalty and booked Gillespie.  Davidson was rightly yellow carded for a late challenge and then did exactly the same thing before half time only to be given a verbal warning this time. Surely a second yellow? Who scored Saints' second goal?

Overall Saints deserved to win but the referee certainly influenced the outcome and they can consider themselves fortunate.        

 

Dunne has always been errors prone in fairness, he was lucky to get away with at least three challenges last week, in my view St Mirren should have had a penalty forone of his challenges. He’s quick and strong but his timing is terrible at times. In my view which I know many won’t agree with Gorrin is a bigger loss than Hastie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the TV highlights on BBC.  It confirms my suspicions at the time that it wasn't a penalty or a very, very soft one at worst.  Its of the "I felt a touch so went down" variety.   2 huge penalty decisions which could well have influenced the outcome of the match potentially costing us £60k in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the TV highlights on BBC.  It confirms my suspicions at the time that it wasn't a penalty or a very, very soft one at worst.  Its of the "I felt a touch so went down" variety.   2 huge penalty decisions which could well have influenced the outcome of the match potentially costing us £60k in the process.

We're not where we are because of two iffy decisions in one game. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for finishing eighth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like another match in the 'bottom6 dead rubbers' where our players have failed to turn up, and where our manager has made some questionable decisions with the starting line-up and substitutions...clearly its not just 'some' of the fans who view finishing 7th as that important in the grand scheme of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Sounds like another match in the 'bottom6 dead rubbers' where our players have failed to turn up, and where our manager has made some questionable decisions with the starting line-up and substitutions...clearly its not just 'some' of the fans who view finishing 7th as that important in the grand scheme of things. 

Seems you could be right, maybe the best idea would be to fuck the new season ticket off and just PATG, as that means I can fail to turn up if & when we're consigned to bottom six next season with a load of dead rubbers to play. Would be better off just sitting out in the garden with a beer, enjoying the nice weather.

Fucking ridiculous state of affairs, especially with fans paying their hard-earned to travel to the game and pay those ticket prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, David said:

Seems you could be right, maybe the best idea would be to fuck the new season ticket off and just PATG, as that means I can fail to turn up if & when we're consigned to bottom six next season with a load of dead rubbers to play. Would be better off just sitting out in the garden with a beer, enjoying the nice weather.

Fucking ridiculous state of affairs, especially with fans paying their hard-earned to travel to the game and pay those ticket prices. 

Thats pretty much what I done...my boy went up, even though I tried to talk him out of it. This happens every season to the teams with nothing to play for, and is one of the reasons I'm not convinced that expanding our league to 14 or 16 teams would help us in anyway, whenever that conversation comes up. 

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I much prefer a relegation battle and 'the call to arms' that brings,  than this 'race for 7th' pish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if it really bothering you that much, Don't go along and you will have nothing to moan about. Do you go into work the day before your holiday and put 100% right through til 5pm? 

ultimately we were denied a penalty at 0-0 and st johnstone got the penalty at 0-0 (which I don't think it was) those moments changed the game. We historically struggle at St johnstone so where does this sudden right to have went up there played out of our skin and came away with 3 points come from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

See if it really bothering you that much, Don't go along and you will have nothing to moan about. Do you go into work the day before your holiday and put 100% right through til 5pm? 

ultimately we were denied a penalty at 0-0 and st johnstone got the penalty at 0-0 (which I don't think it was) those moments changed the game. We historically struggle at St johnstone so where does this sudden right to have went up there played out of our skin and came away with 3 points come from? 

Thats pretty much it...its human nature. For long and sundry we've given our manager (and ultimately our players) the 'target' of, 'don't get relegated'. We continually tell anyone that'll listen, that we're a stepping stone, that we don't pay high wages, that our players are talking to other Clubs...with all that considered, its nae wonder that some players don't look like they give a shit when we comfortably meet our 'target', but miss out on the Top6.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest difference in the last few games is that, with the best will in the world, it's difficult for players to find that extra 1 or 2% competitive edge when there isn't much to play for.  In much the same way that players elevate their game for a cup tie, the opposite happens at end of season when there isn't much left to play for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Do you go into work the day before your holiday and put 100% right through til 5pm? 

I do actually, yeah. Especially when there's a deadline or a target that we've been working all year to hit. It's called being a professional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, weeyin said:

In much the same way that players elevate their game for a cup tie, the opposite happens at end of season when there isn't much left to play for.

Were you at the Ross County game.

:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Were you at the Ross County game.

:lol:

I thought Ross County did elevate their game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×