2018/2019 Game 37:St Johnstone (A) May 11th 3pm Kick off

David

Win? Lose? Or Draw?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What you reckon the outcome will be?

• Motherwell win
    • St Johnstone win
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2019 at 05:30 PM

Right, the penultimate game of the season, and for me it's one of our most important of the season.

We're one point behind St Johnstone with two games to go, so a win here would mean that where we finish this season is entirely in our own hands. By the same token Livingston are playing Dundee at home, and a win for them could bring them to within a point of us, so if we lose at the weekend we could potentially be playing Livi on the last day of the season trying to avoid finishing 9th.

Apart from the fact that finishing 9th would be a piss-poor finish for a club who were challenging for the top six until the death, it would mean a financial difference of £120,000.

I know a lot of fans say they don't give a fuck about the money, and reckon these games are meaningless, but as a club who regularly have punters outside the ground with buckets for Well Society fund collections we're simply not in the position to dismiss the £60,000 of a difference between finishing 7th and 8th, never mind the additional 60 grand drop in finishing 9th.

As an example, £120,000 is the equivalent of over £2,000 a week over a year. That's a couple of wages, or some extra dough to extend contracts or whatever. We need that fucking money.

The players had better be up for this game. Anything less is unacceptable in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Close to a must win game for us. A draw doesn’t completely scupper our chances, but it takes it out of our hands. We should play it like the cup tie that it is and go for it. In Turnbull we have a genuine match winner and if the rest of the team are up for it, we can get the required result. Two one to the good guys!

Last away trip of the season but our away form in the second half of the season has been pretty poor.

I don't think his a particularly good St. Johnstone team so we could beat them but looking at the form I'd say we are a bit short of being favourites.

At least the weather (probably) won't be as bad as the last time we were up there.  Even though we won it's still by a mile my least favourite day of the season!

I think it could go either way but St Johnstone are favourites as the home team. We dont have a lot up front and are really relying on Turnbull ( hopefully something rectified in the summer). A narrow win for the home team.

Potentially 2 important games coming up for us.  One game at a time though as they say.

If we want to win it badly, for the cash, then Main or Sammon must start to make the ball stick up front.  If on the other hand its to test out youngsters, then Scott should start.  Thats our choice. It'll be a tough game against a well organsied and very hard working Saints side.    

Aye for sure, the money would be nice and there is no doubt 120k is a fair wedge.  I just honestly can't see us losing our last two games, that would be a helluva collapse. 8th is a possibility but 9th seems a bit of a stretch to me.

I totally agree this chunk of money should be good motivation from the club's perspective to put importance on this fixture. I'm not sure it gives the players any motivation though..

Personally as a fan, I honestly couldn't give a fuck about 7th. Aye I want us to win obviously but I find it hard to get emotionally invested in money which we aren't going to see any real tangible benefit from. I would be shocked if we even used the 120k to invest in another few players for the summer. From what I understand our budget is set out a while back, maybe it will give us a wee bit of flexibility but that's about it.

The whole battle for 7th is a bit tinpot lets not kid ourselves. From a fan perspective at this stage of the season my main interest is the young players coming through and what our plans are for next season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

A must win, is when we are fighting relegation or chasing a european spot...a must win, for 'the chase for 7th'...jeeeeeesus

Like it or not, finances matter. And you claiming to not care doesn't change that fact.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I understand the finances of the Club matter...however, its not a 'claim', its fact...I couldn't really care less where we finish, 7th, 8th or 9th. The season was over weeks ago as far as I was concerned.

Then you'll understand why some of us are seeing it as an important game, even if you don't personally agree with us? The reaction I see from some fans over the situation, you'd think we were heralding 7th spot as a noteworthy accomplishment in our clubs history.

We aren't. 7th spot doesn't matter as much as the increase in money that it represents. And while we're a club that still sees regular occasions where Well Society volunteers are doing bucket collections outside games £60,000 is worth fighting for, simply because we're a smaller club that can't afford to ignore the financial benefits.

I just find it all really boring...do I want us to win the fitba' match, aye...is it because we have the opportunity to finish 7th, naw...is it because we can win £60,000, naw...

Just like selling a player for oodles of cash, doesn't excite me...finishing one place higher in the bottom deck for an extra players wage doesn't excite me either. You get yourself along to McDiarmid on Saturday though and scream your lungs out in the hope that our players, many of whom are leaving, will be encouraged enough to defend better than they have been recently.

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I don't understand this need to keep mentioning having bucket collections outside the ground on match days, as though these collections are single handedly keeping the club afloat. 

Not single handedly - but every penny literally counts (counts double, in fact, at this point). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I don't understand this need to keep mentioning having bucket collections outside the ground on match days, as though these collections are single handedly keeping the club afloat. 

No one said they're single handedly keeping the club afloat, but if we're going to the trouble of trying to rustle a couple of hundred quid together or whatever is raised via such means then we shouldn't be dismissive of 60 grand.

Imagine if the club announced that they'd raised 60 grand via bucket collection, or through Well Society membership sales over the course of a single day. We'd all be pretty happy with that, wouldn't we? Well, this is the same thing. The players can essentially "win" us 60 grand by going out there and wanting it more than St Johnstone. 

Maybe Saints will be thinking "60 grand? Who gives a fuck? It's holiday time!" and we can take advantage of it.

• David changed the title to 2018/2019 Game 37:St John2018/2019 Game 37:St Johnstone (A) May 11th 3pm Kick offstone (A) May 11th 3pm Kick off