Robinson yer time is up

Yodo

Don't think there is any chance that Robinson will not be in charge next season and he has earned the right to be there in my opinion. 

Get the impression Alan Burrows etc is quite happy  with the job he is doing.   The thing I like about him is he is not afraid to give the youth a chance.  If you think back to the last year of McCall's spell in charge the future didn't look too good as there wasn't many coming  into the first team at all and no real sellable assets.

No one has considered here whether Robinson wants to be here. In no way  do I want  him out but he will point to just  about  every  target achieved in his time here and will have  a lot of positives on his CV.  Will he have  the energy  and the drive to do another  rebuilding  job?  I thought he looked  pretty  pissed off in his interviews after Saturday's game. Maybe he might think it's time for a change.

52 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Don't think there is any chance that Robinson will not be in charge next season and he has earned the right to be there in my opinion. 

Get the impression Alan Burrows etc is quite happy  with the job he is doing.   The thing I like about him is he is not afraid to give the youth a chance.  If you think back to the last year of McCall's spell in charge the future didn't look too good as there wasn't many coming  into the first team at all and no real sellable assets.

Oh he’s going to be here without a doubt, unless another club comes in for him which I also can’t see.

I still think we have a decent manager.

Yes he has made mistakes. But he is working with very limited resources trying to unearth diamonds in the mud. There is inherent risk in that endeavour.

He also had the courage to change our whole style of play midseason making us a whole lot easier to watch.

You also cant ignore the progression of young players into the first team under his guidance.

Can do better. Undoubtedly.

Trust him to get better. For sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

I still think we have a decent manager.

Yes he has made mistakes. But he is working with very limited resources trying to unearth diamonds in the mud. There is inherent risk in that endeavour.

He also had the courage to change our whole style of play midseason making us a whole lot easier to watch.

You also cant ignore the progression of young players into the first team under his guidance.

Can do better. Undoubtedly.

Trust him to get better. For sure.

I think the one question mark over Robinson is whether he successfully introduced the youth through choice or if he stumbled into the situation reluctantly by luck and circumstances...

It looked like a nothing to lose/last throw of the dice that gave us a massive bounce in a dead rubber of a second half to the season after the cup exit.

I would question whether we would have changed things so drastically if we were in a relegation battle?

But i like the guy? And agree he has earned the right to carry on doing what he’s bern doing.

Let's look at the facts.

Robinson took over from McGhee at the end of February 2017 with us sitting 10th in the league, 3 points above Accies in last place. We'd just been scudded 5-1 at home to Dundee, the latest in a run of 4 defeats on the bounce, which also included a 7-2 tanking off Aberdeen.

We'd won two of our last thirteen league games.

We eventually finished 9th, went out to Rangers in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup, and lost 5-0 to Celtic in the last 16 of the League Cup.

In his first full season he brought in notable signings in Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, Liam Grimshaw, Curtis Main and Peter Hartley along with Tom Aldred on loan. We saw Allan Campbell really step up his game, and we saw Robinson hand debuts to Davie Turnbull, Liam Brown, Barry McGuire, and James Scott.

Notable "duds" include Alex Fisher, Russell Griffiths, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Deimantas Petravicius, and Stephen Hendrie on loan.

We finished 7th in the league, lost 2-0 to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final, and lost by the same score to the same team in the League Cup final.

That summer we sold Kipre for a reported £1 million, a player signed under Robinson on a free the previous summer.

Notable signings include Mark Gillespie, Alex-Rodriguez Gorrin, as well as both Tom Aldred and Gboly Ariyibi on loan. We also saw the emergence of Jake Hastie, and Davie Turnbull really came into his own.

"Duds" that year include Taylor-Sinclair, and Sammon and McCormack on loan.

In his second season we finished 8th in the league, lost to Ross County in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup, and Hearts in the quarter final of the League Cup.

Personally, I think he's accomplished all we really could be expecting of our manager. Pushing for top six, finishing 10th or above (which is what we budget for), his cup record is pretty decent, he's brought in one player who's netted us a million quid so far, and he's brought the youth into the side fairly consistently.

Would it be nice to win a cup or finish in the top six? Aye. Should we judge a manager a failure if he doesn't accomplish either of those? I don't think that's realistic.

• Like 8

Excellent, objective factual summary.  Yes, we could throw up issues like quality of ‘football’ during large parts of the campaigns... but.... overall, I wonder how many of us on here would (honestly) have turned down what you’ve summarised if it was offered up at the start of season ‘17 - 18’.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clackscat said:

We have the 3rd highest SPL points tally in 2019, 6 points less than Sevco and zillions less than Celtic, but better than all the rest, including Killie.

But thats not good enough for some apparently

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Which makes the thread pretty pointless does it not  unless it’s a debate on another club showing interest in him

When I think back to that 5-1 defeat to Dundee in McGhee's last game in charge, 5-1 at half time and the way we lost that day then I think we have came on leaps and bounds since then.   If Robinson was to leave tomorrow he would leave us in a much better position than when he took on the job. 

All things considered I think he has done a good job in his time in charge. 

Any extension to his contract is deserved in my opinion.

• Like 6

For me, Robinson has done an excellent job.

I think it’s easy to forget he’s a young and relatively inexperienced manager himself so will still be learning and developing but in his 2.5 years with us he has; saved us from relegation, taken us to 7th and both cup finals, and now an 8th placed finish with our highest points total since McCall’s tenure. That’s the on the pitch stuff, off the pitch he has dealt with our transfer to fan ownership, reducing budgets and brought in serious cash for Kipre, Hastie  others to follow.

He identified that the first half of last season was a shambles and managed to instil an entirely different style and philosophy on the squad in the space of 4-6 weeks which has taken us to the 3rd best points total in 2019 and seen the emergence of one of the best ever we’ve seen in years, who’s transfer will likely see the club becoming debt free. 

Sign him up Burrows! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Stephen Robinson and Keith Lasley have agreed new contracts with Motherwell Football Club.

The management team have signed until 2022, adding two years to their respective deals, which were due to expire at the conclusion of the 2019/20 season.

Under their guidance, the club has reached both the Scottish and Betfred Cup finals, as well as narrowly missing out on the top-six in each of the last two seasons.

The club has also generated significant revenue in player sales through players developed through their coaching, as well as progressing a significant number of players from the youth academy to regular first team football.

“The board is delighted both Stephen and Keith have extended their contracts at the club,” Motherwell FC chairman Jim McMahon said.

“We set clear targets for the management of our football club. Firstly, we ask them to put out a competitive team on the park every weekend.

“We also ask that the to recruit and improve players, and marry that with developing and progressing our own young talent from the academy into the first team.

“Effective player trading is also a big part of any football club. But for our fan-owned and fan-funded club, it is vital.

“Both of them have pushed tirelessly to achieve those goals and we are delighted with what they have accomplished so far.

“They have created a true culture at our club of hard work and continual improvement, an ethic that is evident in everyone they come into contact with.

“We are excited to work closely with them as they continue their efforts for the betterment of Motherwell Football Club going forward.”

Since his appointment in March 2017, Robinson has taken charge of over 100 games as Motherwell boss. He was joined in the dugout by Lasley in the summer of 2017, with the former ‘Well player retiring after 481 matches as a player.

In the 2018/19 season, 8,181 minutes were given to players aged under 21 produced by the club’s academy, more than any other club in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

“I’m delighted to have committed my future to the club,” said Robinson.

“The club have been very good with me and we all feel we can keep pushing the club forward.

“We work within certain parameters, but we feel we have had relative success in achieving our goals. I’m delighted to be staying.”

Assistant manager Lasley added: “I’m obviously very happy to be continuing with the club. I’ve had a long association with Motherwell and I’m delighted to be able to continue working here.

“I’ve learned a lot with the manager as I continue my development as a coach, and I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

That will no doubt please certain people on here.

I am a big fan of Robinson and think he has done a great job.  But I think this is a bit premature. I would have preferred  to wait until October or November. By then we will know if the bulk of the new signings can cut it. If they don't we will be in trouble and he will be under pressure and if he has to go him and Lasley will be due a load of compensation.

25 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Or more money paid to the club when he moves on to a bigger club where his brilliant tactical ability will be more appreciated 

I'm happy enough that he extended his contract as it provides some stability. However I doubt he will see out the full duration, whether due to us sacking him or another club coming in for him, as there just isn't much stability or loyalty in football these days.