Robinson yer time is up

Yodo

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm pleased with this news.  They have both done all thats been asked of them so far. 

Pleased with this as well,  apart from the first few months of last season I think he has done a more than decent job overall in his time in charge. 

Know a few people are still not convinced but it is the same with every manager we have.   

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Just a bigger compensation package to pay out when we finally sack him 

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Or more money paid to the club when he moves on to a bigger club where his brilliant tactical ability will be more appreciated 

Seething at the weekend cause we won.  Seething now because we've extended Robinson's contract.  

Not good week so far for you:boredom: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Or more money paid to the club when he moves on to a bigger club where his brilliant tactical ability will be more appreciated 

Be interested to read your analysis of his tactical failures from the second half of last season. 

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Just a bigger compensation package to pay out when we finally sack him 

Right, say he'd quit today , give me two realistic names of candidates you think would  A...apply for the job and B.. do a better job than him.

I am pleased about this.   After Ross County cup game I wanted him out and although I am not convinced it was his idea to change the formation and to promote the youngsters I do feel we are more easy on the eye and hopefully this season can build on the 2nd half of last season.  Not everyone will be happy but it would be boring if we all agrees on everything....COYW!!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I am pleased about this.   After Ross County cup game I wanted him out and although I am not convinced it was his idea to change the formation and to promote the youngsters I do feel we are more easy on the eye and hopefully this season can build on the 2nd half of last season.  Not everyone will be happy but it would be boring if we all agrees on everything....COYW!!!!!

If it wasn't his idea to change the formation (although I think it probably was), he should get even more credit for being able to change something imposed on him in such a short space of time. Some teams take months to adapt to new tactics - we had to make the change over the winter break.

It’s good to have some stability, especially with our model and the need to overhaul the squad almost every year. 

The manager gets all the blame when things go wrong, so it’s only right he gets the praise when it goes well. He has tended to revert to the percentages based approach when things were hard, so he has to get credit for switching to a more attacking style to turn our season around. 

He has also been involved in 3 overhauls of the squad, which I don’t think any other manager has had to do here. So for the sheer number of signings he’s going to have some duds in there, but I’d argue his success percentage must be up there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sinjy said:

I am a big fan of Robinson and think he has done a great job.  But I think this is a bit premature. I would have preferred  to wait until October or November. By then we will know if the bulk of the new signings can cut it. If they don't we will be in trouble and he will be under pressure and if he has to go him and Lasley will be due a load of compensation.

By which point he may have multiple suitors after him if we’re doing well, he approaches the last six months of his deal and we end losing him for a lot less/nothing had we offered him a contract at the beginning of the season and then potentially replace him with guff? :rolleyes:

Very happy with this myself, better the devil you know etc and since Christmas have very much enjoyed this devil. Even when the football wasn’t great he still got us to two cup finals and have for the most part stayed clear of any relegation battles. 

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

By which point he may have multiple suitors after him if we’re doing well, he approaches the last six months of his deal and we end losing him for a lot less/nothing had we offered him a contract at the beginning of the season and then potentially replace him with guff? :rolleyes:

Very happy with this myself, better the devil you know etc and since Christmas have very much enjoyed this devil. Even when the football wasn’t great he still got us to two cup finals and have for the most part stayed clear of any relegation battles. 

Some always think the grass is greener, in reality it rarely is. In my opinion if you have a half decent manager then you build on that and bring that continuity. We all know Robinson and Lasley, and they know the club from top to bottom.  Clearly Robinson is a good man manager, I don’t think a single player still here or at another club has had a bad thing to say about him and that’s a big plus in itself. At some stage he will either be sacked, or leave for another club, that’s football. However that time is not now and he still has work to do. Good luck to the pair of them, they have my full support.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stuwell said:

Happy for them to continue in their jobs but I noticed that the statement says Robinson's been in charge for more than 100 games but omits his win to lose ratio. 

Win ratio of 43.24% from 111 games, bettered only in recent times by Craig Brown (45.14 from 35 games), and Stuart McCall (45.89% from 146 games).

League games only, i'd imagine including cup games would take him above both of them as he's reached the final of 50% of the cup competitions he's presided over.

He's also one of only 7 Motherwell managers in history whose sides scored more than they conceded over the course of their reign, and one of only 7 whose sides won more games than they lost over their reign.

So aye, Robinson oot.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, steelboy said:

I would have held off to see if his transfer dealings were more successful this summer than last. 

Why? Admittedly, this seems to be the way it is with modern football where nobody at boardroom level takes any responsibility leaving managers isolated, one or two games away from the sack should it all go wrong (Old Firm mentality). Thankfully at Motherwell they seem to do things differently.

I have said a number of times before that I identify with MFC as a club because they look out for their own. Going back to the days of John Chapman, Bill Dickie etc there seemed to be a simple honesty and integrity in the way in which the club was run. That tradition continues and Alan Burrows and the wider board at Motherwell seem to foster mutual respect and trust.  I believe fully that were Robinson managing a different team, he would have been sacked at Christmas (as some on these boards wanted), but the people in power at Motherwell looked at the bigger picture, backed their man and look what happened.

Why should the board wait? They have the facts in front of them. They have presumably signed off on the new players. They know what they have to work with so collectively they are standing by the decisions they have made and backing their man. It is hugely refreshing and for me what makes out club slightly different.

I am delighted with this news. Robinson seems to be a very hard working, professional young manager who has a bright future ahead. That he is assisted by one of our on in Keith Lasley makes the fit all the better. It has not all been plain sailing but I think the fact that Robinson was able to bring the team out of a slight tail spin in December should commend him to us all the more. 

• Like 2

Yes, the change in style of play was perhaps forced on him last season (he could have persevered with the same approach) and he was fortunate in the way the youngsters came to the fore but it's encouraging that he has identified the attacking style as the way forward. He has gone out deliberately to bring in pace and that perhaps has given the board the encouragement they needed to sign him up. 

I think something that is often forgotten is that Robinson took over as manager when we were not in a very good position and managed to keep us in the division. With the players he inherited he kept us in the division and then got us to two cup finals the following season. It is different to someone coming in and taking over with a bunch of players on a high a la Alessio. Even then, last night shows that it’s still not a given that those players will perform so to get those kind of results from a team of poorly performing players is testament again to Robinson as a manager.

Two seasons seems to be the rule of thumb for a manager to put their stamp on a team, he’s also still learning on the job and so you’d like to think that from this point on we’ll only be building on the base he has made over the last two and a bit years. 

It seems to be going under the radar that this Robinson's is biggest rebuild yet. Out of the first choice 11 there will be 6 or 7 new players.  In his first season it was roughly 5 and last season only Turnbull and Gillespie then Hastie and Ayiribi came in.

Only 3 of his 20 odd signings from the last 4 windows are likely to start which is poor. Giving him a new contract is the club needlessly gambling a lot of money on Cole,  Seedorf, Hylton, Long, Illic and Scott collectively producing a huge amount more than they did last season. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the new players but nothing from 12th-6th would surprise me. 

22 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Only 3 of his 20 odd signings from the last 4 windows are likely to start which is poor. Giving him a new contract is the club needlessly gambling a lot of money on Cole,  Seedorf, Hylton, Long, Illic and Scott collectively producing a huge amount more than they did last season. 

To be fair, only one of Gillespie or Carson can play, Tanner is injured, Kipre was sold and Rose moved back for family reasons. Aldred and Aribiyi were generally successful loan signings, so the fact that only Dunne, Carson or Gillespie and Donnelly might start tonight doesn't say that they've been his only successful signings so far. I wasn't a fan but you could even argue that Main has moved to a bigger club on leaving  so doesn't suggest that he was a disastrous signing.

With a few notable exceptions (mainly at left back) most of Robinson's signings have contributed something in their time here...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

It seems to be going under the radar that this Robinson's is biggest rebuild yet. Out of the first choice 11 there will be 6 or 7 new players.  In his first season it was roughly 5 and last season only Turnbull and Gillespie then Hastie and Ayiribi came in.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new players but nothing from 12th-6th would surprise me. 

His stats as manager were given further up the thread, in the end that’s what matter and they hold up well against other Motherwell managers.

Managers are only as good as their results.

If we lose the first five league matches he'll be under as much pressure as ever.

Personally though I'm pleased he's put into place all the things I said he should have done a year before he did and that we are all the better for it.

Perhaps I should charge a consultancy fee?

For the record Robinson's actual league record is 32 wins from 88 for a 36% win ratio.  It should be noted though that his win ratio has been pretty low prior to 2019. 

Since then we've won 10 out of 17 with the emergence of Turnbull playing a big part in that..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Managers are only as good as their results.

If we lose the first five league matches he'll be under as much pressure as ever.

Personally though I'm pleased he's put into place all the things I said he should have done a year before he did and that we are all the better for it.

Perhaps I should charge a consultancy fee?

For the record Robinson's actual league record is 32 wins from 88 for a 36% win ratio.  It should be noted though that his win ratio has been pretty low prior to 2019. 

Since then we've won 10 out of 17 with the emergence of Turnbull playing a big part in that..

A much more positive start to the season Ya Bezzer. A bit like the team!

But still ignoring cup games? Come on mate. They are still competitive fixtures and equally as important given they are the 2 trophies we have any chance of winning.

17 hours ago, steelboy said:

Whoever gave the stats thinks Robinson has managed 111 league games despite only being in charge since March 2017 so I wouldn't pay much attention to that post if I was you.

Imagine making a wee mistake when making a quick 2 min check of a website to try and answer someones question eh...outrageous stuff indeed. :rolleyes:

My profound apologies, it would appear cup games are included in his numbers. Makes a HUGE change to how he's done.

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Imagine making a wee mistake when making a quick 2 min check of a website to try and answer someones question eh...outrageous stuff indeed. :rolleyes:

My profound apologies, it would appear cup games are included in his numbers. Makes a HUGE change to how he's done.

Fake News!! Fake News!!

Little "Al B Wrong" and his lies are polluting journalism.

Lock him up!!!!