2018/2019 Game 38: Livingston (H) May 18th 12:30pm Kick off

David

Win, lose, or draw?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the score will be this weekend?

• Motherwell win
    • Livingston win
    • Draw
    • Honestly couldn't give a fuck really

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2019 at 11:15 AM

7 minutes ago, Bart Verheul said:

Maguire is playing in the play off final versus raith for Queen of the South is he not? 

Oh yeah, probably. The play offs are here, there and everywhere at the moment. 

Still think we could have given a couple of younger players a start and give them a taste of first team football, especially as quite a few players are off at the end of the season or haven't been in great form.

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Livingston were probably the better team when we went 2-0 up.  Poor defensively again with Dunne again not covering himself in glory and Livingston actually had more chances than we had up to that point.   Great wee 'off the training ground' style goal though.

Livingston then went into holiday mode and it looked like we were going to give them a drubbing until HT came and we went into holiday mode.

Bit gutted Turnbull didn't get his hat trick.  Donnelly playing the Gorrin role and not sure it quite worked out.  Few misplaced passes and didn't seem to really get on the ball very often, it was only one match though.

Will be interesting to see the second Livvie goal on TV as it looked miles offside to me.

I still there is a decent player in Donnelly and feel he could actually come good the same way Gorrin did if everyone is patient enough. Certainly some misplayed passes today but also some positive signs.

24 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Just hope Charles Dunne gets his form back for the new season. He's had an awfull half dozen games for us. 

Has Dunn ever really changes though ? His strengths are his speed and physicality, his weaknesses his passing ability ( although he has improved) and his timing and awareness.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I still there is a decent player in Donnelly and feel he could actually come good the same way Gorrin did if everyone is patient enough. Certainly some misplayed passes today but also some positive signs.

No 

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I would have liked Maguire or Livingstone to get a start. 

Was it a good game on your laptop?

Maguire was in a play-off game today, so no chance of of him starting. 

(I knew that without even using my laptop).

It's been a while since someone hit me with a dig at being a long distance fan, though. Hopfeully the summer break will cheer you up. Maybe take a nice holiday or something.

24 minutes ago, Yodo said:

No 

I feel yodo you tend to make decisions on players very quickly,  some players need longer than others to bed in, injuries also play a part in that. Donnelly is clearly rated by many in the know or he would not be picking up international caps. I use Gorrin as an example because he was also written off by many ( can’t remember if you were one of them)

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

I feel yodo you tend to make decisions on players very quickly,  some players need longer than others to bed in, injuries also play a part in that. Donnelly is clearly rated by many in the know or he would not be picking up international caps. I use Gorrin as an example because he was also written off by many ( can’t remember if you were one of them)

You are clearly not in the know ,he has been at the club for a season couldn't break into the team when we were struggling and they gives caps away at under 21 in Northern Ireland 

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Why bother Yorkyred. I mean seriously why bother responding....

Only encourages him or her who rarely has a positive thing to say about our great club. 

A season with 50+ points is a decent return based on our budget. 

Will miss quite a few of the players leaving, but always like freshness new players bring. 

I thought Donnelly started OK. Not half as bad as I was expecting. 

Hope we have Turnbull at least until Xmas, but that depends on what if any offers come in. Anything less than £2.5m + healthy sell on fee can get tae f*ck. It is genuinely a joy watching him. Last time I felt this way about a Motherwell player was Faddy. 

• Like 1

I had written Donnelly off previously but thought he had a good game in midfield today. Looks a better midfielder than defender. Whether he’s likely to be considered good enough to play regularly in that position in a competitive environment next season remains very much unclear.

I think we would all want someone better though, someone who, like gorrin, is capable of going to the centre half’s and goalie and playing out from the back while the opposition presses the life out of you. That’s key to getting turnbull on the ball in the final third, otherwise turnbull himself goes deep looking which negates our attacking threat

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Why bother Yorkyred. I mean seriously why bother responding....

Only encourages him or her who rarely has a positive thing to say about our great club. 

A season with 50+ points is a decent return based on our budget. 

Will miss quite a few of the players leaving, but always like freshness new players bring. 

I thought Donnelly started OK. Not half as bad as I was expecting. 

Hope we have Turnbull at least until Xmas, but that depends on what if any offers come in. Anything less than £2.5m + healthy sell on fee can get tae f*ck. It is genuinely a joy watching him. Last time I felt this way about a Motherwell player was Faddy. 

I like to give everyone a chance if possible. But yes our highest points total in the last five years, lots of young players blooded into the first team squad, the debt still dropping, season tickets sales at an all time high, a great team of people at all levels of the club, the Well  Society going from strength to strength, and a great set of supporters who love the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Maguire was in a play-off game today, so no chance of of him starting. 

(I knew that without even using my laptop).

It's been a while since someone hit me with a dig at being a long distance fan, though. Hopfeully the summer break will cheer you up. Maybe take a nice holiday or something.

Hopfeully it will.

donnelly whilst done ok is not a midfielder imo. his passing is poor as was shown today. dm behind campbell and turnbull is most important position in team going forward. gorrin transformed team and obviously shown when not there. can polworth play there?  

Quite a strange game on reflection but plenty to take from it in the end.

I also felt our lead came a touch against the run of play, in terms of the chances created and corners forced by Livi at that point, but we continue to benefit enormously through the presence of David Turnbull. From goals to assists he just brings us so much.  The routine from the corner was brilliant too.

It was a mad sixty seconds with both sides having penalties saved.  Gillespie, as well as being a really decent keeper overall, has proved himself to be really good at saving penalties.  Must be about four or five over the season now.  I wonder what the scoreline might have ended had Turnbull put his penalty away. A real shame he didn't get the hat-trick but perhaps the experience of being in that situation again of handling two penalties in the one game might stand him in good stead in the future.

The substitutions seemed sensible in the context of where the game was at that stage and whilst more by accident than design I think the two debutants will have gained something from that last quarter or an hour or so. Certainly more from having to handle the situation of a game potentially slipping away than playing things out at 3-0 so again in the longer term, it's perhaps not the worst thing for them to have experienced.

I hope that we might pick up one or two fans from the youngsters in the South Stand. From being in the proximity of the noise and colour of the Bois and seeing all five goals at "their" end as a showcase for the club it wasn't at all bad.  It was interesting to see the names of schools and groups on the scoreboard at half-time and seeing a Boys' Brigade group from Dunblane illustrates the potential reach of these days.  That we now have contacts for however many groups or individuals (GDPR legislation and all that malarky taken into account) the clever thing will be to follow up on their interest, get feedback on their day, thank them for their support and ensure we retain contact to help build relationships that may encourage them to return again.

The "lap of honour" is something that I enjoy - the opportunity to thank the team and management en masse for their efforts over the season but as ever it is always tinged with sadness at those who have played their last in claret and amber (well, given our penchant for re-signing old favourites,  for  this spell at least). Whilst the standard of his performances and his ability to play at the pace required was often  up for debate I'll miss the determination shown by McHugh. He put his head in where it hurts for the cause more than was perhaps sensible given his head injury so early in his 'Well career. Aldred likewise.  He never ever felt like a loan player and the player we saw for the last two years is indistimguishable from the player Bury fans describe.  Hastie, I just haven't seen enough to say whether he has won a life changing move on the back of a Ross Forbes style three month purple patch or whether he is indeed the real deal.  Rodriguez -Gorrin moving on is a frustration. Just when he got up to speed, was given a chance and proved a perfect foil for Campbell and Turnbull in the midfield, he's gone.  And Main. He never recaptured the goalscoring form of his opening three months but played his part in transforming the season, as well as the style of play, in the latter part of the campaign.

Let's see what next season holds.

• Like 3

Totally gutted today....

On Call so didn't go... of course no calls during gane time

Although after a muck up with TicketMaster not sending me an email for a ticket I got for the younger one, I ended up having to go through to FP to sort it, then walk away....

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Livingston were probably the better team when we went 2-0 up.  Poor defensively again with Dunne again not covering himself in glory and Livingston actually had more chances than we had up to that point.   Great wee 'off the training ground' style goal though.

Livingston then went into holiday mode and it looked like we were going to give them a drubbing until HT came and we went into holiday mode.

Bit gutted Turnbull didn't get his hat trick.  Donnelly playing the Gorrin role and not sure it quite worked out.  Few misplaced passes and didn't seem to really get on the ball very often, it was only one match though.

Will be interesting to see the second Livvie goal on TV as it looked miles offside to me.

There also looked like there was a foul in there against one of our players in the build up

Not bad entertainment for an end of season finale.  Some random thoughts.

* Possibly Chris Cadden's best game for a while, maybe he's getting back to full fitness.

* James Scott's best performance for us yet?  Thought he was impressive but shaded a bit in the second half. 

* Liam Donnelly had a reasonable game but he's no replacement for Gorrin. 

* Great to see Dean Cornelius and David Devine make their debuts. The conveyor belt just keeps on running.

* Thoughts on Declan Gallagher?  Impressed with his attitude and he was unbeatable in the air. Otherwise quietish game.

* Great substitution by the boss, bringing on Carl McHugh to steady the ship near the end.  

• Like 1

Nice way to end the season and reasonably entertaining. The second half however I have to say wasn't impressive. Thought the two Livingston goals could have been avoided. A few people saying Livi were the better team...which is a fair comment for the second half but I thought we blew them away in the first half - we weren't great but capitalised on the opportunities (something we could have done more of) but I don't think Livingston could be described as anything but mediocre stock. 

On the other hand it was though great to see 'Well fans on four sides of FP again. I wish we could replicate that more regularly. I for one am quite happy for the club to dish out free tickets for youngsters. We have 8 thousand empty seats most weeks and that's not making us any cash anyway so let's get erses on them more regular hopefully it will help the wee season on season growth we have had with attendances recently. It is disappointing out of the 4k tickets given out, about two thirds didn't seem to bother but it's a good start.