Macron 2019-20 home and away kits

underboyleheating

Macron 2019-20 home and away kits  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The new kits - which do you prefer?

• Home
    • Away
    • Much the Same
    • None of the Above

Just now, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

29th January 1983 

I’m not sure if the Scottish Brewers logo was on the shirts prior to that Clyde cup game, and it may have been it’s first ever appearance.  It certainly wasn’t on the shirts during league matches as I can find no video/still images of us wearing it out with those cup games.

6 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

We played at Ibrox 4th November 1982 4-0 loss.........the next Ibrox game was 19th March 1-0 loss... 2 weeks after the programme 

MCLair went to Smeltic in May 1983......... So possibly November 1982

I suspect the McClair image was taken at the March 83 game as the logo is not on the shirts in the January 83 match v Celtic. 

*Edit I’ve just realised that can’t be the case due to the date on that programme.

57 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

February 1983?

1983 says ‘Well Again. We only wore that awful strip 82-4, according to HFK but I’m sure you know that already.

During lulls in play at Shawfield Clyde-‘Well games I used to count the dog turds around the track. My Dear Old Dad joked it was the only ground you could kick a ball in Glasgow and score a goal in Lanarkshire, since it seemed to straddle the boundary.

20 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Bizarre with the sponsorship .........I was initially thinking if it was a Tv thing........I'm sure the game was on Tv when we beat Celtic 2-1  when Mclair scored twice 

It would be good to get the facts on which games it was used as it seems to appear and disappear at will.  The McClair programme  cover image is an important clue as it was clearly worn during a Rangers away match prior to 83. A bit of a puzzle. 

37 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Bizarre with the sponsorship .........I was initially thinking if it was a Tv thing........I'm sure the game was on Tv when we beat Celtic 2-1  when Mclair scored twice .....ruling that out

I think at the time shirt sponsorship wasn't allowed for televised games - so any pictures from games covered for TV don't have the sponsors logo on the shirt

14 minutes ago, Davie Shanks Fan Club said:

I think at the time shirt sponsorship wasn't allowed for televised games - so any pictures from games covered for TV don't have the sponsors logo on the shirt

I’m sure that’s a good reason as to its non appearance on any You Tube archive footage.
So is there any historical/pictorial evidence as to when it was first worn on our shirts and when it last appeared on them? It would be good to clear this up for our online kit archive. 

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I’m sure that’s a good reason as to its non appearance on any You Tube archive footage.
So is there any historical/pictorial evidence as to when it was first worn on our shirts and when it last appeared on them? It would be good to clear this up for our online kit archive. 

A few more clues from historicalkits.co.uk

In 1977 Hibernian became the first top-level UK club to wear shirts carrying sponsorship (by Bukta, the kit manufacturer). Derby County landed the first English deal with Saab in 1978 but the sponsored shirts were never worn after the pre-season photo shoot. It fell to Liverpool a year later to wear the first shirts to carry a sponsor’s name in the Football League in 1979.

The Eighties – The Market Rules (1980-1989)

Once Hibs and Liverpool broke the mould clubs began to exploit the potential revenue from selling shirt sponsorship. The BBC and ITV companies refused to broadcast matches featuring sponsored shirts, forcing clubs to remove sponsors’ logos when the cameras were present. Coventry City thought they were on a winner when they introduced a kit that incorporated the logo of the Talbot car manufacturing company into their design but the TV companies boycotted them until they introduced an alternate strip for televised games.

In 1983 the broadcasters finally gave way and allowed sponsored shirts to be shown: immediately the value of a sponsorship deal with a club that would feature regularly on Match of the Day or the equivalent ITV programmes went through the roof. At the time, Football League regulations restricted the size of logos to a maximum of 81 square centimeters (32 square inches) but for televised games they had to be half this size.

15 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Heard a rumour that the new sponsor will not be putting their name on the strips as a tribute to the fan ownership 

I like the idea of this, but I'm guessing any sponsor would be looking for some level of exposure, even if not through shirt advertising. Unless of course it really *is* a money for nothing deal

I suppose there's the possibility that we haven't actually secured a shirt sponsor yet...

Back to our sponsor for this season.

What's the deal? Surely we start looking at these things in about Feb when we know the deal is up soon?

Surely the delay means that we lose out on revenue cos the strips can't be sold over the summer.

I'd be surprised if there was any significant loss of overall sales due to a delay of a few weeks. It's not like someone will go out and buy an Accies top instead.

(Why people feel the need to wear them when they go away for the Fair fortnight is a thread all on its own).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

A few more clues from historicalkits.co.uk

Sadly I don’t collect programmes but I’m sure there will also be some clues within ours as to the exact date that Scottish Brewers featured on our kit, and perhaps when the agreement ended. I have a recollection that the deal was short and sweet, but it would be good to know the exact dates for our historical kit records. 

This image of Brian McClair which featured on a March 83 cover and was clearly taken during a game v Rangers at Ibrox. The game against them was in November 82 and it asks the question  whether Scottish Brewers ever featured on our top prior to that game.

Mq5YXki.jpg

33 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Sadly I don’t collect programmes but I’m sure there will also be some clues within ours as to the exact date that Scottish Brewers featured on our kit, and perhaps when the agreement ended. I have a recollection that the deal was short and sweet, but it would be good to know the exact dates for our historical kit records. 

According to this page this page they say the shirt sponsorship started in Feb 1984. Given we switched to Skelly in the 84/85 season, looks like it could have been as short as 4 months.

So we would have been allowed to wear on televised matches (as that rule was relaxed in 1983), but any of those we did play in between August 1983 and January 1984 would have been without the logo.

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

According to this page this page they say the shirt sponsorship started in Feb 1984. Given we switched to Skelly in the 84/85 season, looks like it could have been as short as 4 months.

It was myself that supplied that date as a guide to Dave at Historical Kits, however, the November  82 McClair picture kicks that into touch.  It will need to be revised when I have the exact start and finish date.

17 minutes ago, stuwell said:

According to motherwellnet sponsorship was '82 - '84

this HTML class. Value is http://www.motherwellnet. com/fact-file/a-z/sponsers/

edit: sorry link not working & I don't know how to fix  :(

I noticed that, however, i would need to see some photographic evidence of  it on a shirt during season 83-84 for it to be recorded as fact during this period. We have evidence of use during 82-83 but as yet none for the following season.