Macron 2019-20 home and away kits

underboyleheating

Macron 2019-20 home and away kits  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The new kits - which do you prefer?

• Home
    • Away
    • Much the Same
    • None of the Above

15 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would question if sport as a whole is the right place for advertising gambling and alcohol. No different to the way tobacco advertising was banned in F1 just short of 20 years ago. I don’t believe the two belong together in a modern world. It’s not like people are suddenly banned from gambling or drinking, it’s just a case of not promoting it.

Like it or not, sport is one of the primary avenues for both drinking and gambling.  The comparison with smoking and F1 isn't really the same, as it's not like punters were dashing to the corner shop to buy a pack of Benson & Hedges before the racing came on the telly that day.

We may not like it, but there are some things that humans should be allowed to do without the government banning them "for our own good." Again, as I said previously, personal responsibility comes into it at some point.

No one is forcing anyone to see an advert for Paddy Power and go make a bet. I see ads all the time for shit that I don't do. And if I decide to launch my weekly earnings into a Betfair account and lose them it's my fault, not that of the bookies in question or wherever I may have saw an advert.

I think getting good money from Paddy Power without having their name plastered across our shirt is the best of both worlds.

Although as others have said, I never bought a car from Ian Skelly or flew to Canada on zoom airlines. If I was in the market for a car or flight to Canada, I would’ve been aware of the companies and considered them, but I didn’t learn to drive to buy a car from Ian Skelly, so I’m not going to take up gambling because we’re sponsored by paddy power, although those who do gamble might take their business there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David said:

Like it or not, sport is one of the primary avenues for both drinking and gambling.  The comparison with smoking and F1 isn't really the same, as it's not like punters were dashing to the corner shop to buy a pack of Benson & Hedges before the racing came on the telly that day.

We may not like it, but there are some things that humans should be allowed to do without the government banning them "for our own good." Again, as I said previously, personal responsibility comes into it at some point.

No one is forcing anyone to see an advert for Paddy Power and go make a bet. I see ads all the time for shit that I don't do. And if I decide to launch my weekly earnings into a Betfair account and lose them it's my fault, not that of the bookies in question or wherever I may have saw an advert.

Sadly human psyche is not that simple. Some individuals are naturally more receptive to these things than others. 

We get a mention in an article in The Guardian today about the pros and cons of shirt sponsorship, gambling companies and iconic shirts of the past.

The industry bankrolls not only football clubs, but all parts of the game. I’ve done radio phone-ins on gambling addiction, thanking callers for devastating personal accounts of their addictions before throwing to an ad break filled with odds, offers, accas and free bets. The single biggest problem the addicts told me was that some firms would not leave them alone, even after cancelling all their accounts. It’s a competitive market, but surely there’s enough to go round while letting the most vulnerable deal with their problems with the space they need. I don’t write from a lofty perch here. I like gambling, even if I only lose about a hundred quid a year betting on long shots in the golf majors. I’ve worked for gambling companies in the past.

Since Huddersfield’s “unsponsoring” announcement, Newport County and Motherwell have followed suit. And while the kits look good, there’s a nostalgia to sponsors that I’m not sure I want to lose. It’s how I remember kits. As a kid, I didn’t know the difference between a sponsor and a kit manufacturer. As far as I knew from all my extensive Panini ’87 swap deals, AVCO made West Ham kits and WANG Oxford. Everton were NEC and Arsenal were JVC. Perry Groves recounted this week how the players got half-price TVs from the deal. He would buy a load and sell them to his mates – cost price, not for profit!

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

We get a mention in an article in The Guardian today about the pros and cons of shirt sponsorship, gambling companies and iconic shirts of the past.

I can understand where he is coming from, you see sharp, you think man utd, you see candy you think Liverpool, kind of similar to us with Ian Skelly unfortunately sponsors at our level have went down a different path and clubs are sponsored by all sorts of wild companies, tony macaroni at livingston, Binn group whatever at st johnstone etc so that iconic look is gone. I think there is definitely a place for sponsors at high end clubs, PSG, Chelsea, Man utd Barcelona but having the local chippy branded on the front of a motherwell top takes the appeal away.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, underboyleheating said:

Our new away top reminded me of the classic chest hooped Dumbarton tops.
Related image

I saw a photo from the Hearts v Stenhousemuir game the other night and the Stenhousemuir away top is a cracker that I don't think many on here would object to us having. Unfortunately I don't know how to post photos but I think it was on the BBC website round-up if anyone can put it up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, daver said:

I saw a photo from the Hearts v Stenhousemuir game the other night and the Stenhousemuir away top is a cracker that I don't think many on here would object to us having. Unfortunately I don't know how to post photos but I think it was on the BBC website round-up if anyone can put it up.

Along with a few others I posted an image of that away kit on here last season. It’s a belter and takes me back to our 70s C&A Umbro sash away top. If we do choose to revive that classic at some point I suspect it will be a few years down the line as we currently have a white away top and we usually like to space them out. 

11 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

As a supporter of the new away top my one slight disappointment is that we didn’t take the opportunity to reinstate the full hoop that remained unbroken between 1928-1969.  I’m hopeful that this once  traditional feature will  one day become the norm again. 

5LfZNKJ.jpg

Orgasmatronic. Would be even better with a Sampdoria sandwich-style one.

Claret on top or amber? Decisions decisions....

#Save our hoop

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Claret on top or amber? Decisions decisions....

#Save our hoop

Our original ‘Tailored by Umbro’ late 50s/early 60s ‘floodlight kit’ had the claret section on top of the amber, it also had  hooped sleeves. Hooped sleeves are a feature that I would have liked to have seen added to the recently released shirt.  In my opinion it would have made the shirt more unique to us and a proper homage to the legendary Ancell babes. 

wKunBIH.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, underboyleheating said:

Our new away top reminded me of the classic chest hooped Dumbarton tops.
Related image

Raymond Blair, sitting left of the manager. Goalkeeper  Tom Carson, Joe's brother? And one of Owen Coyle's brothers in there, mibbe two.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Raymond Blair, sitting left of the manager. Goalkeeper  Tom Carson, Joe's brother? And one of Owen Coyle's brothers in there, mibbe two.

Didn't Raymond Blair help dismantle Dumbarton in a 4 - 0 Cup win at Fir Park one January night in the 80s? We were the form team in the First Division and Dumbarton were SPL strugglers.

I remember we were playing against a howling wind in the first half and thought if we kept the score respectable we could take them in the second half. We went in 1 - 0 up at half time and ran them ragged in the second half.

• Like 1