2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

I think I’m right in saying as top seeds we will be at home to the 2nd seeds so that rules out away days to Ayr, Morton, Patrick and 1 other depending on where they draw the north/south divide.

For the unseeded teams QOTS, Berwick and Airdrie/East Kilbride would be decent with potential for a good day out. 

1 hour ago, Dezz said:

I think I’m right in saying as top seeds we will be at home to the 2nd seeds so that rules out away days to Ayr, Morton, Patrick and 1 other depending on where they draw the north/south divide.

For the unseeded teams QOTS, Berwick and Airdrie/East Kilbride would be decent with potential for a good day out. 

East Kilbride would be a crap away day, the K park is in the middle of a country park no decent pubs anywhere near it,, plus it's a shitety wee ground 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

East Kilbride would be a crap away day, the K park is in the middle of a country park no decent pubs anywhere near it,, plus it's a shitety wee ground 

Being from East kilbride, I can back this up....saying that the town centre isn't a kick in the arse away, could walk it along the dual carriageway in twenty minutes. Bonnie prince charlie isn't too far either. You do have the cricket/Rugby club, as well as the golf club in the country park which would probably be opened up.

Maybe I should have been more clear, I meant QOTS/Berwick would be the good away days rather than EK.

I fancy Airdrie or EK we that would give us a local tie against a rival or team we have never faced. Wonder if Darren O’Dea would play if we drew EK!

I liked the freshness the changes brought to the competition but the regionisation is increasingly taking much of that freshness away. It's becoming repetitive when you are restricted to only half the teams in the country in the group stages.

What's that now Morton twice in four seasons? Queen of the South twice in a row, Annan twice in three or four seasons. We've also had two trips to Stranraer and played Edinburgh City twice too since the revamp.

Time for another tweak, or for us to qualify for Europe again methinks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I liked the freshness the changes brought to the competition but the regionisation is increasingly taking much of that freshness away. It's becoming repetitive when you are restricted to only half the teams in the country in the group stages.

What's that now Morton twice in four seasons? Queen of the South twice in a row, Annan twice in three or four seasons. We've also had two trips to Stranraer and played Edinburgh City twice too since the revamp.

Time for another tweak, or for us to qualify for Europe again methinks!

I'll take the latter option Andy!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Two Championship sides and a decent League One one is shite luck. I'd imagine we'll still go through but we can probably only afford one slip up to still be seeded for the knockouts. 

I will be very disappointed if we don't beat all 4 of them, :nod:

• Like 1

The group format was tried before and failed fairly quickly. 

I know they tweaked it slightly, but the repetition of fixtures and the early scheduling certainly doesn't help matters.

Of all the formats tried, I always preferred the single tie, guaranteed result on the night, approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I quite liked this at the beginning but as Andy says, the regionalisation takes away the freshness. The last two names in the heart were Clyde and Dumbarton so I’m glad we could the latter for a wee bit of a change. 

Will be interesting to see if this format is maintained once the tv deal is up. 

2 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Will be interesting to see if this format is maintained once the tv deal is up. 

That's a thought.

Based on the blurb that came with Premier Sports taking the rights, they boasted of showing between 12 and 16 games a season from 2020'21 , that would suggest we might be looking at 2025'26 before there may be a change from the group format. That number would seem a  shade excessive if there were any plans to revert to the regular knock-out format from the off.

I don't actually mind the group format itself and I'll concede that however artificial a creation it may be penalty shoot-out bonus point provides a handy differential to help decide the qualifiers. But we definitely need to lose the regionalisation.

Whilst agreeing with many about regionalisation and the best format being the old Skol Cup idea of straight knock out with a result on the night ( and every team taking part) this is what it is. As such, it is pretty much part of our pre season and, although it does mean that we could slip up and miss out on the cash from the knock out stages, it offers competitive matches to get us ready for league action. Our draw is quite interesting. Not the easiest and lots of ex ‘well players at Dumbarton to add to the spice of a cup tie.