2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Sounds like we have a squad full of flair and a bit of quality on the bench, good stuff.

Plenty of flair in wide areas but not a great deal of creativity in the middle I felt. Plenty of dig and industry but what a difference not having DT makes. 

Any idea why Sloth wasn’t in the squad?

3-0 away to a Championship side is a decent result, more so when you consider five of the starting eleven were making their debuts and two of the subs were as well. Clean sheet with half a new back four is no bad thing. 

Look at Hibs, Accies and Livi's results today and tell me ours wasn't a very good one...

• Like 2

The introduction of Seedorf and Hylton completely transformed the game and turned us from huffer puffers to...actually quite an impressive football team. 

Throughout the game we had most of the possession unfortunately we didn't know what to do with it and didn't really carry much threat. In fact it was QoS who looked more likely to score with one hacked off the line and a good one handed saved by Gillespie from Doobie's shot among their efforts.

QoS didn't really carry any threat second half but neither did we.  Cole struggled to get into the game and Ilic barely contributed.  Scott up front was isolated and no one was linking up or making runs from midfield.

When Seedorf came on he almost immediately put the boosters on and flew past his man.  It lifted the crowd and his team mates.  

Suddenly were were playing great football and looking threatening.  Fair to say QoS looked out of gas in the closing stages but none the less, Hylton and Seedorf were great to watch and more importantly actually linking up with Scott.

Wasn't much in the penalty but I did think it was one.  Seedorf took his goal well and Hylton's was a screamer.

Overall a mixed bag, as already said Seedorf and Hylton looked exciting and pacey but Carroll was skinned a couple of times, Dunne is still Dunne and I'm not convinced by Donnelly in the 'Gorrin' role.

More of the last half hour would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't unhappy with what I saw today, as Ya Bezzer says they had a couple of chances in the first half, one was a good save and one was cleared from the line, other than that though, our back four was largely untroubled. The midfield was a bit laboured at times and until the penalty (which was a bit soft) it was hard to see where a goal was coming from, although had Scott scored his one on one in the first half I think the game would have opened up more which would have suited us. Seedorf and, in particular Hylton, look like potentially exciting signings but I will reserve judgement until I see them against a defence which isn't knackered.