2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

After a sticky first half, today turned out to be a decent performance and good result on a very poor surface. Too early to make judgement on our new recruits although Seedorf and Hylton brought the game alive and showed signs of some raw quality. 

Interesting that Sloth didn’t make the bench as we were light in midfield with Polworth suspended. Presumably his fitness standards aren’t at the required level yet. 

Hopefully we can find ourselves an experienced striker with a bit of pedigree that can help link the play, or else the potential of the new wingers is unlikely to be fulfilled.  Scott showed some flashes of good play but he clearly needs a run of games at the appropriate level. Johnson failing to make the bench would suggest he’s not in our immediate plans. 

54 minutes ago, ropy said:

Didn’t think it was a penalty, Hilton has bandy legs, good day out in the sun, good win, Campbell was excellent, if Semple gets  sufficient game time he could grow and keep Turnbull out the team, maybe.

lol must have been a gd day in the sun. davy will be back and within a couple of games will be running the show as he was before.

38 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

After a sticky first half, today turned out to be a decent performance and good result on a very poor surface. Too early to make judgement on our new recruits although Seedorf and Hylton brought the game alive and showed signs of some raw quality. 

Interesting that Sloth didn’t make the bench as we were light in midfield with Polworth suspended. Presumably his fitness standards aren’t at the required level yet. 

Hopefully we can find ourselves an experienced striker with a bit of pedigree that can help link the play, or else the potential of the new wingers is unlikely to be fulfilled.  Scott showed some flashes of good play but he clearly needs a run of games at the appropriate level. Johnson failing to make the bench would suggest he’s not in our immediate plans. 

Heard Sloth has a slight strain and was not being risked on that surface 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

First step up in class of opponent will see him exposed. I’m not sure I even see a footballer there.

Do you not need to be footballer to play for your national team  at any level ? They don’t just pull punters off the terracing.

17 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

That may have been the shortest ever competitive debut by a Well player who has actually started the game.

Hope Long is ok and fit enough for a run out against Morton. 

Robinson says he's fine, but will probably miss the Morton game. 

17 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Do you not need to be footballer to play for your national team  at any level ? They don’t just pull punters off the terracing.

Onthefringes is not a Donnelly fan. At the end if last season, when I suggested we'd see more of him this campaign, he reckoned I was well off the mark.

I honestly have no idea if he will make the grade, as my comments were based on the fact that Robinson obviously rates him.

There are always different players fans don't rate. I could never see why Foran got a game, for example, but was a fan of Vigurs. I know many fans hold the exact opposite view.

All part of the fun - especially at this stage of the season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Onthefringes is not a Donnelly fan. At the end if last season, when I suggested we'd see more of him this campaign, he reckoned I was well off the mark.

I honestly have no idea if he will make the grade, as my comments were based on the fact that Robinson obviously rates him.

There are always different players fans don't rate. I could never see why Foran got a game, for example, but was a fan of Vigurs. I know many fans hold the exact opposite view.

All part of the fun - especially at this stage of the season. 

Having seen him more than most in different match situations - I’m not convinced. Our management teams reaction at a fixture played at Lesser Hampden enforced that belief.

in his defence, apparently showing well in pre-season training so inclusion on merit.

I just don’t see him in the position he’s been asked to play. First touch isn’t good and passing ability is questionable. He does try to move the ball quickly - just not accurately. Attributes expected of a holding midfielder...

Looks as though he'll be playing there and will be this season's player that Robinson will shoehorn in and plenty question. For Donnelly see McHugh last season.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Didn’t think it was a penalty, Hilton has bandy legs, good day out in the sun, good win, Campbell was excellent, if Semple gets  sufficient game time he could grow and keep Turnbull out the team, maybe.

Let’s face it if Turnbull is fit then no-one will keep him out of the team. 

Controversial maybe ........but if he keeps liking Celtic tweets I hope Semple or anyone does keep him out of the team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Having seen him more than most in different match situations - I’m not convinced. Our management teams reaction at a fixture played at Lesser Hampden enforced that belief.

in his defence, apparently showing well in pre-season training so inclusion on merit.

I just don’t see him in the position he’s been asked to play. First touch isn’t good and passing ability is questionable. He does try to move the ball quickly - just not accurately. Attributes expected of a holding midfielder...

Looks as though he'll be playing there and will be this season's player that Robinson will shoehorn in and plenty question. For Donnelly see McHugh last season.

I'm certainly not disagreeing. I have barely seen him play live or on highlights, and when I have seen him play it's been mostly as a defender.

It just seemed last season that Robinson was forever bigging him up, so I assumed he would be one of his projects this season. 

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'm certainly not disagreeing. I have barely seen him play live or on highlights, and when I have seen him play it's been mostly as a defender.

It just seemed last season that Robinson was forever bigging him up, so I assumed he would be one of his projects this season. 

Robinson has a lot of belief in him, as you say he was mentioned numerous times last season. He feels there is a lot more to come development wise and as much as i’m not a massive fan the guy is still young.

6 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Plenty of flair in wide areas but not a great deal of creativity in the middle I felt. Plenty of dig and industry but what a difference not having DT makes.

I assume from the team line up, that Jamie Semple was there to provide some creativity in the middle. Allan Campbell doesn't fall into the all rounder or creative moulds and Donnelly is a defensive holding player.  From an attacking perspective we seem to have missed Turnbull (very predictable) and Gorrin.   

A good start however, and we picked up 3 points, 3 goals and a clean sheet from a potentially tricky away fixture. 

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Your first post I've got the gist of first time without having to use creative thinking.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The introduction of Seedorf and Hylton completely transformed the game and turned us from huffer puffers to...actually quite an impressive football team. 

Throughout the game we had most of the possession unfortunately we didn't know what to do with it and didn't really carry much threat. In fact it was QoS who looked more likely to score with one hacked off the line and a good one handed saved by Gillespie from Doobie's shot among their efforts.

QoS didn't really carry any threat second half but neither did we.  Cole struggled to get into the game and Ilic barely contributed.  Scott up front was isolated and no one was linking up or making runs from midfield.

When Seedorf came on he almost immediately put the boosters on and flew past his man.  It lifted the crowd and his team mates.  

Suddenly were were playing great football and looking threatening.  Fair to say QoS looked out of gas in the closing stages but none the less, Hylton and Seedorf were great to watch and more importantly actually linking up with Scott.

Wasn't much in the penalty but I did think it was one.  Seedorf took his goal well and Hylton's was a screamer.

Overall a mixed bag, as already said Seedorf and Hylton looked exciting and pacey but Carroll was skinned a couple of times, Dunne is still Dunne and I'm not convinced by Donnelly in the 'Gorrin' role.

More of the last half hour would be nice.

Agree with pretty much all of this although I didnt think it was a penalty and I thought Carroll looked pretty decent. Thought he had a much better game than Tait who looked out of sorts today. 

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Agree with pretty much all of this although I didnt think it was a penalty and I thought Carroll looked pretty decent. Thought he had a much better game than Tait who looked out of sorts today. 

That's what I'd heard regarding the full backs as well. Could simply have been a bad day at the office for Tait or possibly a need to readjust having played on the left for most of the last two seasons...

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

That's what I'd heard regarding the full backs as well. Could simply have been a bad day at the office for Tait or possibly a need to readjust having played on the left for most of the last two seasons...

Yeah, he was poor yesterday and possibly needs time to readjust.

If Ilic is going to be a regular fixture in the right, we’re going to need a right back bombing forward as Ilic will always step inside.  Both Tait and Grimshaw should compliment him well when they are on top form. 

I certainly didn't see a 3-0 win coming as the team trudged off after a fairly underwhelming opening forty-five minutes.

On paper this looked like being the toughest fixture in the group being away from home, first game back, lots of new signings still integrating etc. and it kind of went along those lines with them having one cleared off the line, Gillespie's save and the volleyed effort that went wide.  Unfortunate for Long and perhaps it might have been different if James Scott had netted but the first half for me was as awkward as I had expected.

Second half though just wasn't a contest.  I don't know if our fitness levels are massively ahead of theirs but they never got a sniff and we whilst it wasn't perhaps pretty in the opening stages of  the second half we ground them down, had corner after corner and were beginning to pepper their goal with shots to the point that a goal seemed almost inevitable. I thought the penalty was a little soft but no disputing the quality of the second and third goals.  The two second half substitutes certainly made an impact with their trickery and pace allied to Queens looking just absolutely done and it was a thoroughly enjoyable to watch the two of them torture their full-backs.

A good start which puts us in a positive position and hopefully we can take advantage of the fact Morton are playing their first competitive game on Friday.  The last half an hour or so certainly whets the appetite.

• Like 4