2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I liked the instantaneous chant of See-dorf at the second goal then the third went in and everybody going, what one is he, what do we shout, everyone just clapped.

Seedorf seemed quite chuffed about that in his post-match interview. He was buzzing (to use Twitter's favourite expression) about scoring his first professional goal and having the fans chant his name. A great recruitment ad for the club.

7 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

That's what I'd heard regarding the full backs as well. Could simply have been a bad day at the office for Tait or possibly a need to readjust having played on the left for most of the last two seasons...

I think it was a mixture of playing back on the right and having to adjust to new players in front of him. The sticky pitch didnt help either. Tait relies a lot on his athleticism but the ball kept holding up and getting stuck under players feet. Im sure he will be much happier back on the grass next Friday.

I dont like to be overly critical of astro pitches but on a hot day like yesterday they need to be heavily watered to get them playable.

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Agree with pretty much all of this although I didnt think it was a penalty and I thought Carroll looked pretty decent. Thought he had a much better game than Tait who looked out of sorts today. 

Carroll looked OK going forward but defensively maybe not so much.  It was only one game but the impression I got that the left hand side of our defence might be a weak spot.

Just to make the older fans feel even older I noticed yesterday that only two of our players who took the field yesterday were even born when we last won the Scottish Cup and they both had yet to celebrate their first birthday.

Tait and Gallagher for the record.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Just to make the older fans feel even older I noticed yesterday that only two of our players who took the field yesterday were even born when we last won the Scottish Cup and they both had yet to celebrate their first birthday.

Tait and Gallagher for the record.

Just makes it more special that we were there to see it B-)

I've always said that I'll be delighted if we win another Scottish Cup in my lifetime. But if we don't, I'm even more delighted I was there when we won it the last time.

• Like 1

Time to look ahead to Friday. 

A small part of me is still hoping that we find a number 9 before Friday but the chances are exceptionally slim. 

Would go with: 

-------------------Gillespie 

Tait-------Gallagher-------Dunne-----Carroll 

----------------Campbell---------

-------Semple-------------Sloth

Seedorf-----------------------------Hylton 

-----------------Cole

Subs: 

Carson 

Hartley 

Ilic 

Grimshaw 

Maguire 

Scot 

Long

45 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Time to look ahead to Friday. 

A small part of me is still hoping that we find a number 9 before Friday but the chances are exceptionally slim. 

Would go with: 

-------------------Gillespie 

Tait-------Gallagher-------Dunne-----Carroll 

----------------Campbell---------

-------Semple-------------Sloth

Seedorf-----------------------------Hylton 

-----------------Cole

Subs: 

Carson 

Hartley 

Ilic 

Grimshaw 

Maguire 

Scot 

Long

Long won't be available.  As for Donnelly not even making the squad :lol:

Currently thinking that we’ll see Hartley, Carson and Maguire all start on Friday, as well as Seedorf and Hylton. Robinson mentioned post match that the wingers needed to build up fitness so think they’ll be sticks ons. Would imagine Polworth would come straight into the side as well, most likely replacing Semple. The rest is all a bit harder to guess so it’ll be interesting to see who we go with. Admittedly I’d like to see Sloth, if he’s fit of course.

Clyde illustrated well enough last season that nobody can be taken for granted but I would personally take the view that you play your strongest eleven against Morton in the hope of getting three points.  Thereafter you have two games against Second and Third Division opposition that should allow for a rotation whilst still hopefully getting three points from each.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Clyde illustrated well enough last season that nobody can be taken for granted but I would personally take the view that you play your strongest eleven against Morton in the hope of getting three points.  Thereafter you have two games against Second and Third Division opposition that should allow for a rotation whilst still hopefully getting three points from each.

That would be my take Andy.

Almost a week between games so no real rotation needed. 3 games in just over a week coming up. Rotation makes more sense against the weaker teams when the recovery time between games is going to be less and less of a risk to our qualification as a top seed in the next round.

The Doonhamers' groundsman and other staff were out on the Palmerston Park pitch until late on Friday night before the game trying to stop the birds roosting on the park which causes "all sorts of problems".

I bet they wouldn't roost on a grass pitch.