2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

Carson 

Tait   Gallagher   Dunne   Carroll 

Donnelly 

Campbell                  Polworth 

Hylton                   Cole                      Seedorf

You could say Semple deserves to start again but he should get his chance in the games against the so called lesser risk games. Polworth should get his chance to stake his claim against some good opposition. Would like to see how Cole performs through the middle and see how useful he could be there rather than out wide as his favoured position is up top and his pace will be very useful there. Of course after Saturday both Hylton and Seedorf should start and see how they get on from the start and continue their positive starts in C&A.

Ross County have been the form team in the first two rounds so far.  A win on Friday would put us in good shape for qualifying ahead of the other Premiership teams.

(I took the day off on Friday, in part to watch our game, so we better win).

17 hours ago, supermarv said:

Of course after Saturday both Hylton and Seedorf should start and see how they get on from the start and continue their positive starts in C&A.

Agreed, but not sure we'll see that. 

Robinson likes impact players and the team earning the right to play and all that. He said as much in the dressing room post match video - "we've now got players who can change games". 

He's probably right. Players coming on against a tiring defence is a totally different proposition than taking on a defender full of energy. They might be best deployed later in the game. I'll trust his judgement. 

3 hours ago, CoF said:

Agreed, but not sure we'll see that. 

Robinson likes impact players and the team earning the right to play and all that. He said as much in the dressing room post match video - "we've now got players who can change games". 

He's probably right. Players coming on against a tiring defence is a totally different proposition than taking on a defender full of energy. They might be best deployed later in the game. I'll trust his judgement. 

But how do you know that they players can impact the game from the start if u don’t test it. Ariyibi is a similar player to both Hylton and Seedorf, he could 100% impact the game from the start. Bringing a player off the bench to make an impact isn’t always going to work.

5 hours ago, supermarv said:

But how do you know that they players can impact the game from the start if u don’t test it. Ariyibi is a similar player to both Hylton and Seedorf, he could 100% impact the game from the start. Bringing a player off the bench to make an impact isn’t always going to work.

Totally agree - I'd love to see them both start as I was on the edge of my seat every time either of them got the ball. Great entertainment.  

I'm basing it purely on Robinson's comments about having players who can change games now. I'm sure we'll see them start in at least one of the group games. 

On 7/15/2019 at 10:41 PM, joewarkfanclub said:

4 victories is 12 points.

That has to be our target.

Yes.  Currently, 6 other clubs (Ross County, Forfar, Arbroath,Morton, Partick and Dunfermline)  apart from ourselves could theoretically collect 12 points although not all will do so.  In any event even being seeded for the knock out stages wouldn't guarantee an easy draw i.e. Hearts or Hibs away.  

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes.  Currently, 6 other clubs (Ross County, Forfar, Arbroath,Morton, Partick and Dunfermline)  apart from ourselves could theoretically collect 6 points although not all will do so.  In any event even being seeded for the knock out stages wouldn't guarantee an easy draw i.e. Hearts or Hibs away.  

Aye, the seeding in this competition is virutally worthless.

The seeding is frustratingly bad the way its set up but you would be guaranteed not to face Rangers or Celtic. If you aspire to win a trophy, you would take your chances against any of the other teams first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yassin said:

Aye I don't really mind if we get Celtic or Arbroath in the next round either.

The last year we got to the final, Hibs were unseeded in the 2nd round and played Ayr Utd at home.

We were seeded and played Ross County away.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The seeding is frustratingly bad the way its set up but you would be guaranteed not to face Rangers or Celtic. If you aspire to win a trophy, you would take your chances against any of the other teams first.

You could argue that a home draw against Rangers\Celtic in the earlier rounds is more likely to end up with a positive result, rather than playing them in the latter stages at Hampden.

Particularly in the case of the latter.

Although, there is a lot to be said for just getting to Hampden first, then worrying about that stuff.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

You could argue that a home draw against Rangers\Celtic in the earlier rounds is more likely to end up with a positive result, rather than playing them in the latter stages at Hampden.

Particularly in the case of the latter.

Although, there is a lot to be said for just getting to Hampden first, then worrying about that stuff.

Completely agree, Rangers and Celtic are a different prospect at Hampden, I suspect rangers even more so since we ran them off the park a few seasons ago after going ANOTHER year without a trophy. Ideally someone else does the job for us, and we get a nice easy route to hampden.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Completely agree, Rangers and Celtic are a different prospect at Hampden, I suspect rangers even more so since we ran them off the park a few seasons ago after going ANOTHER year without a trophy. Ideally someone else does the job for us, and we get a nice easy route to hampden.

My my we are not out the group yet and we are talking about going to Hampden