2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

He does. ot quite in synch with a few of his new teammates, but already looks like he can find the pass in tight spaces around the box.

Just said to my son, he looks like one of these guys who's a half step ahead of everyone in his thought process. Unlucky not to score there...

Well, ye canny complain about that (other than it could easily have been a lot more). Two games, two clean sheets, seven goals, new guys getting in on it all.

Just now, AllyMax said:

Well, ye canny complain about that (other than it could easily have been a lot more). Two games, two clean sheets, seven goals, new guys getting in on it all.

And Morton still haven't scored at Fir Park since 1990, apparently.

7 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Just said to my son, he looks like one of these guys who's a half step ahead of everyone in his thought process. Unlucky not to score there...

Davie Cooper was like that when he started at Fir Park and it took a wee while for the rest of the players to get onto his wavelength. 

That Morton keeper is woeful, very Samson-esque with his refusal to catch a ball.  Their left back should have been sent off twice, some absolutely wild tackles.

Hylton has a really good game, the ball seemed to stick to him out on the left flank and that was a great finish for his goal. Scott should have had a hat trick, but those two goals will be great for his confidence.

seedorf is crazy fast, he’s going to be fun to watch, and illic looked handy when he came on.

Donnelly is doing ok, but he was wasteful a few times, similar to McHugh at his worst without the ability to win headers. Nice finish though.  Polworth played well, but Morton seemed to give him acres of space all first half. Interesting to see Maguire in midfield for the last 20 or so.

I really like the look of Gallagher, solid player.

• Like 1

At work so had to watch the game on my phone but we looked good, not reading too much into it as Morton were brutal.

Very impressed with Hilton and ilic he looks a player, and a special mention for Scott took his goals well, probably should have had another one.

So 4 goals without reply, job done what's not to like.

Fairly comprehensive dismantling of Morton, was 4 going on 5, 6, 7, 8.

We should probably reserve judgement until we are playing teams at the same level but in my opinion the standard of player in the squad is much higher than it has previously been under Robinson.  From home growns like Maguire, Semple and Scott to the guys brought in like Hylton, Seedorf and Gallagher.

For me there are plenty of positive signs there.

Even the type of football we are playing, playing the ball out from the back with the centre halves or short passes from the goalkeeper to the full backs, is almost unrecognisable to the type of football we were playing this time last season.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Donnelly is doing ok, but he was wasteful a few times, similar to McHugh at his worst without the ability to win headers. Nice finish though.  Polworth played well, but Morton seemed to give him acres of space all first half. Interesting to see Maguire in midfield for the last 20 or so.

Actually thought Donnelly looked as good as Polworth tonight and felt that Polworth got caught in possession a few times in the first half. Also despite what you said, felt Donnelly won his fair share of headers...

31 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Hylton, Ilic, Gallagher, Scott, Polworth..... actually most of the team looking good in an attacking sense, which looks like it will get better as understanding grows. A couple of shakey  moments at the back which better teams might punish, but i’ll take that for exciting football. Great goal by Hylton.

You’ve just posted for me there. Agree with absolutely everything Seedorf aswell has some crazy pace. Every player works as a team and has some real dig. Carroll finally looks like a left back who is capable of stepping up to the plate, something we’ve missed for a long time. Great performance tonight and the team looks excellent but don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves.  

Donnelly as well was excellent and is getting better each game and only seen him give away possession away once and won nearly every header.

GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE...

Really pleasing result and performance

From what I saw tonight it looks like we have goals to come from all over the park, with hopefully turnbull to add to the mix as well ideally if nothing more than for a few months of games

Encouraged  by the new guys performances, Gallagher looks solid at the back and as others have said looks confortable playing out from the back. Hilton and seedorf have pace and a trick in them, like an upgraded version of ainsworth/humphrys and I’d go as far as saying ariybi (as much as I like him). Reckon there is a lot more to come from them once they are up to speed.

Great to see Scott get a couple of games, would love him to lead the line, think he has a little bit of development still to go, but so long as he chips in with goals like tonight , il be happy.

Pass marks to polworth and Carroll too

had to leave early for a work emergency so disappointed  I didn’t get to see illic, but sounds like he’s a find as well

Only type of player id be holding out for now before end of the window is a Lafferty type of signing if we can get someone of that ilk within budget

Edited by Dossertillidie2