2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

A good solid performance, while it was only a championship team I think possible the best bunch of signings Robinson has made, positives from all of them and I think in Gallagher we’ve signed a corker, his distribution is better than any centre half signed while i’ve been watching the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

And I think in Gallagher we’ve signed a corker, his distribution is better than any centre half signed while i’ve been watching the club.

Alan Hansen-esque (and I'm only half joking).

33 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Actually thought Donnelly looked as good as Polworth tonight and felt that Polworth got caught in possession a few times in the first half. Also despite what you said, felt Donnelly won his fair shar

I thought Donnelly was similar to DM McHugh, but quicker on turn and played the easy ball.

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

I thought Donnelly was similar to DM McHugh, but quicker on turn and played the easy ball.

Donnelly is better than McHugh but not as good as Gorrin.

Ultimately I'm not sure if he's technically assured enough on the ball.  As I've said before I'd like to see Maguire get a shot in this position.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Donnelly is better than McHugh but not as good as Gorrin.

Ultimately I'm not sure if he's technically assured enough on the ball.  As I've said before I'd like to see Maguire get a shot in this position.

Gorrin did a decent job for a few months but people seem to forget he had a knack of going to ground in the tackle and picking up too many yellow cards. 

Not saying Donnelly is necessarily the answer, but let's not turn Gorrin into Ngolo Kante....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Gorrin did a decent job for a few months but people seem to forget he had a knack of going to ground in the tackle and picking up too many yellow cards. 

Not saying Donnelly is necessarily the answer, but let's not turn Gorrin into Ngolo Kante....

He did more than a decent job.  Turnbull, Hastie and Gorrin transformed the season.

And while Gorrin could be rash he was 45th on the leagues worst discipline list compared to McHugh who was 3rd.

Gorrin didn't do the flashy stuff like Turnbull and Hastie but finding an adequate replacement is going to be crucial to the upcoming season, especially when we play similar level teams.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He did more than a decent job.  Turnbull, Hastie and Gorrin transformed the season.

And while Gorrin could be rash he was 45th on the leagues worst discipline list compared to McHugh who was 3rd.

Gorrin didn't do the flashy stuff like Turnbull and Hastie but finding an adequate replacement is going to be crucial to the upcoming season, especially when we play similar level teams.

100 % agree.

While you have to take  in the standard  of the opposition that was  a very good performance. Downside was a couple  of slack moments at the back. Seedorf Hylton and Scott will get the headlines but I thought Gallagher was outstanding and on his brief appearance Ilic could prove to be the best signing  of the lot. 

If James Scott continues to develop he could surpass the transfer fee we are expecting for DT.  Tall  athletic strikers with great awareness and touch are worth a fortune. I hope he fulfils his undoubted potential.

Davie Cooper was like that when he started at Fir Park and it took a wee while for the rest of the players to get onto his wavelength. 

Have u just compared illic to davie Cooper just getting a wee bit carried away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. Hilton and seedorf have pace and a trick in them, like an upgraded version of ainsworth/humphrys and I’d go as far as saying ariybi (as much as I like him).

Are u trying to say ariybi is better than Humphrey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I liked Ariyibi but he seems to have turned into Pele over the course of one summer.

I thought he had a lot of potential but for me he was more concerned about getting fouls than actually getting past his man.  I think we may have 2 better players on our hands now in Seedorf and  Hylton but too early to say for sure. 

Very tidy performance which made for an enjoyable Friday night.

Gallagher and Polworth look to be slotting in seamlessly and the three wingers are a source of great excitement. Pleased to see Scott get two goals too, he’s got a long way to go but we are seeing more and more glimpses of real quality and he has all the physical attributes to develop into a very good striker.  The final piece of the jigsaw for me is finding an experienced striker, capable of knitting the play together, that Scott can deputise and learn from. 

A good performance last night. 

Far too early to get carried away and to be fair, we should be beating Morton at home, however the visible gulf between the sides was pleasing. 

We certainly have pace going forward and the three wingers do look good. The issue with Hastie last season was that he stopped being so effective once people found him out, so I’m hopeful we’ll avoid that this term.  Pace in the spl can be the difference and we certainly have that. 

I really liked the look of Maguire when he came on last night. Looked like a player with a new lease of life has has distinct flashes of quality. Donnelly, IMO, is the weakspot. He’s too often caught on the wrong side of play and gets dragged far too easily. Some of his passing is really iffy too, therefore would probably be the one I’d change out for Maguire.

Polworth /Gallagher looked decent for their home debut. 

Whilst we have illic (who showed real flashes of quality) to cover the wingers, I’d imagine that Long/cole will also do the same. Having adequate squad coverage would mean likely bringing in another centre forward. Scott did extremely well as the game went on but it’s too much pressure to ask an 18 year old to lead the line all season (I’m assuming Johnson is being allowed to seek another club).

It has the makings for a positive season but as Robinson alluded to, we’re a quality forward away from making it a good one. 

Wasnt at the game last night but we have beaten both QoS and Morton comfortably so far. Both are full time teams expected to do well in the Championship this season.

Rewind to last season when we lost to Stranraer on penalties and struggled to beat a very average Clyde team.

Yes its still early but many reasons to be positive and cheerful.

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Wasnt at the game last night but we have beaten both QoS and Morton comfortably so far. Both are full time teams expected to do well in the Championship this season.

Rewind to last season when we lost to Stranraer on penalties and struggled to beat a very average Clyde team.

Yes its still early but many reasons to be positive and cheerful.

Remember too that Stranraer should have won in normal time and missed a couple of sitters. 

My worry about this seasons team, besides the 'Gorrin' position is at centre back.  I like the look of Gallagher in the two matches we've seen but I'm not Dunne's biggest fan, as I've said before, he's fine when he can depend on pace and strength to defend but when he comes up against technically good players he gets hung out to dry and then behind him if there is an injury is Hartley who's not good enough either if we want to improve on finishing around 7th/8th/9th.

With teams like Kilmarnock, Hearts, Hibs looking like they might be going backwards as well as a hardly formidable St. Johnstone side, I think we have a decent shot at finishing Top 6 this season but I'd like to see another centre back come in because you can't go through a season with one strong centre back.

I know we've probably spent our transfer budget at this stage but if I could have one wish come true.....maybe I'll find an eye lash.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

My worry about this seasons team, besides the 'Gorrin' position is at centre back.  I like the look of Gallagher in the two matches we've seen but I'm not Dunne's biggest fan, as I've said before, he's fine when he can depend on pace and strength to defend but when he comes up against technically good players he gets hung out to dry and then behind him if there is an injury is Hartley who's not good enough either if we want to improve on finishing around 7th/8th/9th.

I actually don’t see the big issue with Donnelly it seems like he has convinced many Well fans he is up to the task but other still have their negative opinions. He definitely looked comfortable on the ball, won tackles and headers, he gets stuck right in. As for Charles Dunne I thought he absolutely strolled last night and actually seemed comfortable on the ball and driving out from defence a few times, great touches to bring it down out of the air instead of just lumping it right back up. He and Gallagher will be a great pairing, will also Carroll who seems a very decent big player at left back, which we’ve missed for years. I 100% see us making the top 6 if we can play like that most weeks.

I know it was “only Morton” but our wing play was a delight, and some of the first touches in particular were just sublime.

It was also good to see a lot more playing out from the back, even when under pressure - and even better to see most such passes actually finding a teammate. 

If we can keep this us for the remaining cup games, with every chance of a cricket score or two to get the confidence levels right up  while the team gels further, Livingston should be quaking in their boots.

20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Remember too that Stranraer should have won in normal time and missed a couple of sitters. 

With teams like Kilmarnock, Hearts, Hibs looking like they might be going backwards as well as a hardly formidable St. Johnstone side, I think we have a decent shot at finishing Top 6 this season but I'd like to see another centre back come in because you can't go through a season with one strong centre back.

I know we've probably spent our transfer budget at this stage but if I could have one wish come true.....maybe I'll find an eye lash.

Donnelly is definitely not Gorrin but we've not seen Sloth yet who might be and Maguire could be an option there.  I think Donnelly has done ok but I see him as a guy who can provide cover in a number of positions as opposed to a regular starter.

I like Dunne as he has a great attitude and pace to burn. He is decent coming out of defence with the ball at his feet but he needs to stop the big diagonal passes. He just hasnt got that in his locker.

I know what your saying about him defensively.  A Hylton or Seedorf would tie him in knots or force a penalty out of him. But I think we would struggle to get another centre half who can do all those things. 

Im hoping Hartley might get back to his pre injury form but thats gonna be difficult if he cant get games. Might be worth giving him some game time this week to find out.

Much rather spend any money we have left on a goalscorer if we can find one. Other than that I think we look well covered in most positions.

I was very surprised by Carroll given the feedback from supporters of his previous club, strong, quick, can pass a ball, gets forward. With a bit of work he looks like he could be a half decent left back for us.  A previous poster mentioned the difference from last years early cup games, the football is on a different level entertainment wise.

• Like 2