2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

Agree with many points alweady made, so won't repeat them in detail.  I was especially impressed with the 2 wingers and Illic when he came on.  When on the ball you had the feeling they could do something unexpected. Hylton's finish for his goal was sublime. We played some exciting expansive stuff and although we have to take into account the quality of opposition things are looking good so far.  No failures in the side and a good all round team perfomance.  Carroll and Polworth did well enough too although the latter, although creative,  lacks a bit of pace, but we knew that before. As with some others probably not fully match fit. I though Donnelly did ok but see him as being more of a squad player.   Pleased to see Scott notch a brace and that will do him good.  He's developing very  nicely but at this stage he might struggle a bit more against bigger and nastier defenders from the better clubs.  I still think a spell out on loan would benefit him.  My pick of the bunch though was Gallagher.  Maybe not fully tested but he strolled through the game.  Won almost everything in the air, is pretty fast and can pass.  I think he'll turn out to be a really good  signing.  Not flashy but you really need these type of guys in the team.

Negatives last night? Yes there were a few and although we should put them into perspective we shouldn't ignore them. Early on I though we showed Morton too much repsect and they were able to test Gillespie a few times without being hassled.  Our midfield sat too deep at times and gave them the opportunity to have an avoidable crack at goal.  Also for a spell in the middle of the game our midfield struggled to compete with them although they weren't especially dangerous.  We definitely missed a "Gorrin" type player to tackle, hassle and hold the ball.  

Willie Collum? I've seen him have far worse games but he let a fair few very bad tackles go unpunished. In his defence he let off our lads once or twice as well.  Luckily no-one was badly injured.  

Propsects are looking good with the likes of Cole, Long, Sloth and of course DT to return.      

44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Willie Collum? I've seen him have far worse games but he let a fair few very bad tackles go unpunished.    

The incident where he gave a drop ball because the ball hit off of him still baffled me. Is this a new rule brought in this season or something? 

As many have said thought it was a good season and if we can play like that more times than not this season then it’ll be a very enjoyable one to watch.

Thought Donnelly was good personally. Covers ground, puts a tackle in, plays the simple pass. He’s most likely not on the same level as Gorrin, but on our budget we’d be doing well to replace like-for-like. Feel like he’s going to be this year’s scapegoat the same way as Fitzpatrick was for example. 

Speaking of Fitzpatrick, saw him in the ticket office before the game. 

Speaking of the ticket office before the game, also saw Colin Calderwood there. He’s currently head coach at Cambridge and had the tracksuit top on, I wonder if he was up watching his old player Carroll or if he had an eye on someone else who was playing last night...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

The incident where he gave a drop ball because the ball hit off of him still baffled me. Is this a new rule brought in this season or something? 

As many have said thought it was a good season and if we can play like that more times than not this season then it’ll be a very enjoyable one to watch.

Thought Donnelly was good personally. Covers ground, puts a tackle in, plays the simple pass. He’s most likely not on the same level as Gorrin, but on our budget we’d be doing well to replace like-for-like. Feel like he’s going to be this year’s scapegoat the same way as Fitzpatrick was for example. 

Speaking of Fitzpatrick, saw him in the ticket office before the game. 

Speaking of the ticket office before the game, also saw Colin Calderwood there. He’s currently head coach at Cambridge and had the tracksuit top on, I wonder if he was up watching his old player Carroll or if he had an eye on someone else who was playing last night...

We thought he had just made up a new rule himself.

26 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We thought he had just made up a new rule himself.

Did he? Wouldn't surprise me. Also looked like he didn't want Motherwell players near drop

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Did he? Wouldn't surprise me. Also looked like he didn't want Motherwell players near drop

Maybe someone watching on TV can confirm but from where I was sitting it looked like it bounced off of him and fell to a Motherwell player, he called a drop ball and wouldn't let us challenge it and then let Morton keep possession.

1 minute ago, Stu92 said:

Maybe someone watching on TV can confirm but from where I was sitting it looked like it bounced off of him and fell to a Motherwell player, he called a drop ball and wouldn't let us challenge it and then let Morton keep possession.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There has been a rule change about contesting drop balls and I could swear I read something about if a ball is interfered with by a ref and goes in or changes possesion it&#39;s a drop ball but couldnt find anything on google</p>&mdash; Neil (@neilmfc88) <a href="https://twitter.com/neilmfc88/status/1152572661874253825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 20, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

EDIT: let me try and get the formatting right this time

The latest version of the relevant rule (Rule 9) I found on the IFAB website reads as follows:

The ball is out of play when:

• it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or in the air

• play has been stopped by the referee

• it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and:

• a team starts a promising attack or

• the ball goes directly into the goal or

• the team in possession of the ball changes

In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball.

And the Procedure as per Rule 8 for a drop ball is now:

• The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

• the ball was in the penalty area or

• the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

• In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official

• All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play

The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

So, the ref made the correct decision.

not sure what thread but I think someone mentioned this but in snippets I saw watching on my phone at work it looks we have a team of players who can actually perform the basic skills and control the ball and pass it 5 or 10 yards. First impressions of the new guys look promising.  

4 minutes ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

Good to see the majority of the crowd show their appreciation for John Sutton when he was substituted.

A hard working  pro who never reached the heights of his brother, however, having spoke to his one of his close relatives I know which one is favoured, and lets just say it’s not Chris. :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

A hard working  pro who never reached the heights of his brother, however, having spoke to his one of his close relatives I know which one is favoured, and lets just say it’s not Chris. :D

With his 22 goals, a key part of McCall's side that finished 2nd in the league (while losing to Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup).

What was really notable last night was there seems to be a real fight and desire pulsing through the team. Even in the last 10 minutes folk were battling for every ball. Folk also seemed to know their jobs. 

Hopefully this is another season where the fitness and organisation gives us an edge. Add in a few classy looking players and I don't think it's unreasonable to be excited about the first premiership tests. 

40 minutes ago, CoF said:

Hopefully this is another season where the fitness and organisation gives us an edge. Add in a few classy looking players and I don't think it's unreasonable to be excited about the first premiership tests.  

The annoying thing is that we start with two plastic pitches and Celtic which probably means not a great deal of flowing football.

15 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Is there another new rule where u can pass it out from a goal kick and be allowed to retrieve the pass in the box? We did it many times last night so I assume it’s part of the new changes this season.

There is. Only the opponents have to be outside the box.

The ball is in play "when it is kicked and clearly moves" - and as soon as it's in play the opponents can also enter the box. The idea being it speeds up play and reduces time wasting.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

EDIT: let me try and get the formatting right this time

The latest version of the relevant rule (Rule 9) I found on the IFAB website reads as follows:

And the Procedure as per Rule 8 for a drop ball is now:......................

Presumably there is scope for the referee to use his judgement and ignore the rule in certain circumstances?  For example if a player from the team in possession loses control or makes a bad pass  which is clearly going to an opponent or out of play and the ball hits the referee and then goes to an opponent then he can ignore the ruling?  

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Presumably there is scope for the referee to use his judgement and ignore the rule in certain circumstances?  For example if a player from the team in possession loses control or makes a bad pass  which is clearly going to an opponent or out of play and the ball hits the referee and then goes to an opponent then he can ignore the ruling?  

Correct - I only posted the very specific clause that deals with last night's situation. The second part of the law is:

The ball is in play at all other times when it touches a match official and when it rebounds off a goalpost, crossbar or corner flagpost and remains on the field of play.