2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

6 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Speaking of the ticket office before the game, also saw Colin Calderwood there. 

I sincerely hope that he was shown the door. After the way he behaved following the death of Phil O’Donnell, the w@nk*r should be banned from Fir Park.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Ooo what did he do? 

He was manager of Nottingham Forest at the time and they didn't have a minutes silence before their match. 

To quote him...Calderwood said: "there was nothing from the football league to us but i heard some talk of it just before kick off. I didn't particularly want to have a tribute. Sometimes I don't think its appropriate to have them for every tragedy that happens. Sometimes i think it needs to be a bit closer to home. The fact that it was a boy in Scotland, does that make it any different from a boy in Colombia?"

Yet only five months earlier Forest had played against Motherwell in a pre-season friendly which O'Donnell played in. 

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

He apologised later.

I can't say it bothered me any more than thinking "that wasn't a smart thing to say" for about 2 seconds and then forgetting about it.

Three years later, when it became apparent that he was going to get absolute peters when he came to Fir Park as Hibs boss. I also seem to recall that his apology was somewhat less than complete.

Firgive and forget is all well and good, but there really is very little to be gained in interacting with tossers.

Everyone says things they later regret and in truth i’ve heard plenty of people say they think there are way too many minute silence or applauses at games and tributes should be kept close to home rather than being UK wide. Don’t think it makes them terrible individuals.

Calderwood probably worded it insensitively but he has a point to an extent. i don’t think any teams from another country should be forced to mourn a players passing.  I don’t remember the furore of Motherwell not observing a minutes silence for check tiote.  There’s plenty of other examples that I can list.

Irrespective of this particular event however, there’s no denying he’s a total bellend

33 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Oh to be St Mirren just now, their fans are pretty much in meltdown after the latest defeat wanting everything changed. I think one or two already have them as good as relegated.

The other Saints fans are also in meltdown after their 2-1 home defeat. I think in their case they're just too used to finishing 7th or higher. We appear to be ahead of the pack  in terms of rebuilding. 

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The other Saints fans are also in meltdown after their 2-1 home defeat. I think in their case they're just too used to finishing 7th or higher. We appear to be ahead of the pack  in terms of rebuilding. 

I don't know about rebuilding but in terms of readiness we seem significantly ahead of where we were at this stage last season.  I think how sluggish we looked even in the last group game against Clyde last season where it took a desperate "get as many forwards on the park as we can" tactic to scrape past them and how we've had teams chasing shadows in the latter parts of games thus far. 

I don't know if its simply a case of a pacier, more naturally fit group or players or whether something has been learned from last season but it has been pleasing to see the difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I don't know about rebuilding but in terms of readiness we seem significantly ahead of where we were at this stage last season.  I think how sluggish we looked even in the last group game against Clyde last season where it took a desperate "get as many forwards on the park as we can" tactic to scrape past them and how we've had teams chasing shadows in the latter parts of games thus far. 

I don't know if its simply a case of a pacier, more naturally fit group or players or whether something has been learned from last season but it has been pleasing to see the difference.

I think we’ve just signed a better set of players.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think we’ve just signed a better set of players.

Might be that or might be we've worked out how to better integrate the needs of preseason training  with the (different) needs of competitive games in the middle of it.

(Or it could be that AND that we've signed better players)

16 minutes ago, ankles said:

Might head down to dumbarton on Tues. I'm getting all nostalgic about that nil nil draw on a foggy night in the 80's.

Not many of us there that night, but I was one them.

And it was on Scotsport later (mainly because the rules at the time meant if they wanted to show highlights of an English game they also had to show the highlights of a Scottish game too).

Of course, this week's game won't be at Boghead.

My only memory of Boghead is the cup game when we struggled to salvage a 1-1 draw. I've got a vague memory of Shaun Teale having a poor game and being at fault for their goal.

Not been to their new ground though or seen us play yet this season so looking forward to popping along. 

47 minutes ago, daver said:

My only memory of Boghead is the cup game when we struggled to salvage a 1-1 draw. I've got a vague memory of Shaun Teale having a poor game and being at fault for their goal.

Not been to their new ground though or seen us play yet this season so looking forward to popping along. 

Shaun Teale didn't sign for us until the following year, but I seem to remember Brian Martin having a howler that day.

Just now, daver said:

Thanks  I did say it was a vague memory! Not surprised at all to be wrong. 

I was standing on the terrace that day in the middle of my first ever hangover, so it might not even have been Buff :lol:

Tuesdays game should be interesting selection wise. Will SR stick with Fridays team or try out a different selection?  

Is Tuesday  the last chance he will have to give "fringe" players a chance or does he secure the win and top seeding then change things on Saturday?  

Being the last game before the season starts, id think that - injury's aside - Saturdays game will see his favoured team. 

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I want us to pump them stupid.

That's because you're a fan.

The manager has to balance winning the game, winning the group and getting the players lacking full fitness ready for the league campaign.

2 hours ago, daver said:

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Shaun Teale didn't sign for us until the following year, but I seem to remember Brian Martin having a howler that day.

1 hour ago, daver said:

Thanks  I did say it was a vague memory! Not surprised at all to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I was standing on the terrace that day in the middle of my first ever hangover, so it might not even have been Buff :lol:

I remember Rob Newman playing centre half that day, not sure who with. Vaguely remember him hitting a volley off the bar in front of the away end?

Whats the capacity at the new ground? Seems a fair interest in the game, combination of form so far and a potential new ground....

Certainly the calibre of opposition we've faced so far hasn't been up to much and we were expected to win BUT the point is we did and the players went about things in a professional manner.  Contrast that with the results and performances just turned in by St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and St. Johnstone who were also faced with opposition they were expected to beat but flopped miserably.  I'm not a happy clappy nor I am getting carried away by any stretch but it does seem there is an air of positivity on the playing side at FP which can only be a good thing for the season ahead.