2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

Hearts, Hibs and Accies haven't been covering themsevels in glory either.

Far too early in the season to be writing any team off, but it looks like we'll have some entertainment at Fir Park this season. We could run a book on the biggest start Seedorf can give a defender and still beat him.

——————-—Carson 

Grimshaw—Hartley—-Dunne—Livingston 

————————-Maguire 

————-Campbell——— Polworth——

Long/Cole—————-Scott————Illic

Assuming Long and Cole are fit of course. 

Subs

Gillespie 

Tait

Gallagher 

Donnelly

Hylton

Seedorf

Long/Cole

30 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

What’s the parking situation like at Dumbarton? Going through tomorrow but will be at the coo’s tail. 

I work in Dumbarton and can get a good 2.5 mile walk in if I go down and around the ground then back.

From A814 main road turn left at Victoria St which leads on to Castle Rd and the ground is right in front of you. Looks like on street parking anywhere there shouldn’t be an issue.

Saw he was one of the players who attended the Community Trust kids coaching towards the back end of last week. Sure Graeme McGarry had a bit in the Evening Times saying he’d miss the Morton game after being offered compassionate leave, assumed he just wasn’t ready for game time. 

Not sure it really needs to be speculated on.

• Like 1

This is the set I'd I'd really like to see, Grimmy and Tait allowed to move forward and shore up midfield when attacking, Campbell to do the dirty work and Sloth to spray the passes. Then that forward line ..... look at the pace. A few players dropped that don't justify it but it's all about seeing what's what at this early stage.

Subs I'd make would be Carroll on for Grimmy and switch sides with Tait, Seedorf for Hylton and maybe Polworth or Maguire on for Sloth

--------------------- Carson -------------------

----- Hartley --- Gallagher --- Dunne -----

Grimshaw ------------------------------- Tait 

-------------- Sloth ---- Campbell -----------

---- Seedorf ------------------------- Ilic -----

---------------------- Cole ----------------------

Available:

Gillespie 

Maguire

Livingston

Polworth

Carroll

Donnelly

Hylton

Long

Johnson

Scott

Semple

+ Not to overlook Turnbull and Tanner to hopefully return to how we remember them.

Purely because I think we need to have more than one formation. Standard 4-4-2.

If we're doing well and not governed by injuries I'd like to see the subs as Hartley and Gallagher, by all accounts two strong characters, see if they can gel together. Mcguire on for Polworth and I'd like to see Johnson play with a target man.

Grimshaw - Hartley - Dunne - Livingston 

Sloth ---- Campbell ---- Polworth ---- Illic

------------- Johnson ---- Scott --------------

Dumbarton have been taking pumpings and are really struggling to put a team in the pitch so you'd hope we can at least match what Morton and QoS did to them.

Gillespie is nailed down number one now but perhaps you could give Carson some competitive game time in the next two matches although you'd hope he didn't have a lot to do.

For me Tait has been poor over the last 6 months or so, so perhaps Grimshaw could come in and turn the heat up a bit for a first team place.

I'd like to see Maguire get a shot at the 'Gorrin' position.  For me he has more quality on the ball than Donnelly.

The other positions seem fine, you don't want to make too many changes and disrupt any rhythm we've got going, especially up front.

For me Scott has been excellent since coming into the team, I think he's a real talent, and with no established striker at the club, for me he is the number 1 right now.  Tonight will be another chance for him to get a goal or two and further up his confidence.

9 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

This is the set I'd I'd really like to see, Grimmy and Tait allowed to move forward and shore up midfield when attacking, Campbell to do the dirty work and Sloth to spray the passes. Then that forward line ..... look at the pace. A few players dropped that don't justify it but it's all about seeing what's what at this early stage.

Subs I'd make would be Carroll on for Grimmy and switch sides with Tait, Seedorf for Hylton and maybe Polworth or Maguire on for Sloth

Available:

Gillespie 

Maguire

Livingston

Polworth

Carroll

Donnelly

Hylton

Long

Johnson

Scott

Semple

+ Not to overlook Turnbull and Tanner to hopefully return to how we remember them.

If we're doing well and not governed by injuries I'd like to see the subs as Hartley and Gallagher, by all accounts two strong characters, see if they can gel together. Mcguire on for Polworth and I'd like to see Johnson play with a target man.

Is this the startin 11 you fancy for the season, or for the Dumbarton Game? either way I have so many issues with both teams, Sloth playing  right midfiield in your 4-4-2 for one is absolutely wild considering we have two ridiculously entertaining WINGERS, why play a centre mid there?

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 1:29 AM, weeyin said:

Hearts, Hibs and Accies haven't been covering themsevels in glory either.

Far too early in the season to be writing any team off, but it looks like we'll have some entertainment at Fir Park this season. We could run a book on the biggest start Seedorf can give a defender and still beat him.

Outside of Rangers and Celtic the Scottish Premiership is garbage. 

Hearts and St. Johnstone were pish last year and still finished above us.  Kilmarnock, in the last 5 months of the season were already falling back under Clark, they will fall further back this season.   And I suspect Heckingbottom at Hibs is going to be found out as the arrogant little toerag that he is.

So that's 4 of the 7 that finished above us last season.  The quality in the league is low, there are teams that have 4 times our support that play SHOCKING football, any team that can play a bit of football, score goals and get a bit of consistency is going to do well.

Disagree with the statement above about Tait being poor for the last 6 months or so. I was at the Morton game and he didn’t do anything necessarily to stand out but didn’t do anything wrong. For me last season he was up there for contenders of POTY and my second to Turnbull. 

He is back in his own position now but played at full season and a half at the other side. So it’s good to see him back to his own side and hopefully see him produce even more than previous. 

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Is this the startin 11 you fancy for the season, or for the Dumbarton Game? either way I have so many issues with both teams, Sloth playing  right midfiield in your 4-4-2 for one is absolutely wild considering we have two ridiculously entertaining WINGERS, why play a centre mid there?

Calm yer jets there sparky, look at the title of the thread and you’ll have your answer. As for the midfield and wingers, yes undoubtedly, but I know what they are capable of already, a game against Dumbarton shoud be for experimentation in my opinion. There’s a good chance we may need to have a battling 2 banks of ball winners when facing Rangers or Celtic, I’d rather have that middle 4 than seedorf who while rapid looks like he’d blow over in a strong wind.

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Outside of Rangers and Celtic the Scottish Premiership is garbage. 

Hearts and St. Johnstone were pish last year and still finished above us.  Kilmarnock, in the last 5 months of the season were already falling back under Clark, they will fall further back this season.   And I suspect Heckingbottom at Hibs is going to be found out as the arrogant little toerag that he is.

So that's 4 of the 7 that finished above us last season.  The quality in the league is low, there are teams that have 4 times our support that play SHOCKING football, any team that can play a bit of football, score goals and get a bit of consistency is going to do well.

That sounds a bit like you are tipping us for top 6 there YB! :P

15 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Available:

Gillespie 

Maguire

Livingston

Polworth

Carroll

Donnelly

Hylton

Long

Johnson

Scott

Semple

Playing two midfielders is like going into battle with a bow and arrow. Fine if the other guy has a bow and arrow but not if he has a machine gun. Very rarely do teams play with two in central midfield these days because they get outmanned.  Even the 4231 which is sometimes quoted as a effective formation, the middle guy in the '3' behind the striker is invariably a midfielder effectively making it a 433. 442 is only used now where the 4 in midfield is a diamond shape or if it's a squinty 442 with one winger and three central midfielders (one may drift wide when attacking). We used the squinty 442 under McGhee when we had Johnson on one wing and Cadden on the other but quite often Cadden would tuck in when we didn't have the ball...

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Calm yer jets there sparky, look at the title of the thread and you’ll have your answer. As for the midfield and wingers, yes undoubtedly, but I know what they are capable of already, a game against Dumbarton shoud be for experimentation in my opinion. There’s a good chance we may need to have a battling 2 banks of ball winners when facing Rangers or Celtic, I’d rather have that middle 4 than seedorf who while rapid looks like he’d blow over in a strong wind.

Again, this might just be me, but testing '2 banks of ball winners' against a piss poor dumbarton to prepare us for games against Celtic and Rangers is chocolate tea pot patter. What is the point in having these match winners to suit them on a bench against the big games, if your game plan is to sit in and try contain them with the hope of catching them on the break then we sure as hell won't be doing that with Liam Polworth breaking away. Who cares if he would get blown over by a strong wind, if he gets one on one with any fullback in the league he's leaving them for dead.