2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

If Carson is fit, he deserves a chance. He is the better keeper of the two and is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet, which is a key attribute the way we are playing at present. 

I’d also tweak the shape and bring in Semple for Seedorf. Until the wingers reach the required level of fitness, we should start while one and the other can be an impact sub. 

• Like 3

Gillespie was great last season and deservedly locked down the number 1 place.

Don't think he's start this season in great form but at the same time he's not throwing goals in.  Think some of the criticism around the Griffiths goal was harsh.

For me you don't drop an established goalkeeper for a few poor kick outs in one match, especially when he's kept us in the game previous at Livingston.

Hearts are absolutely fucking atrocious.  This is a game we should be winning with no excuses.

Saw Naismith went off injured with a hamstring pull last weekend, I assume he won't play in this match.

Him and Halkett are the only players in the Hearts team I'd worry about.

Goalkeeper situation is a difficult one. What is the point in having the best replacement goalie in the league and then not using them? But has Gillespie done enough wrong to warrant being replaced? Probably not.

Carson has been the very definition of professional in his attitude, but you wonder how long he can bide his time when a player of his quality needs first team football. Surely a loan move would make sense for all parties?

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hearts are absolutely fucking atrocious.  This is a game we should be winning with no excuses.

Saw Naismith went off injured with a hamstring pull last weekend, I assume he won't play in this match.

Him and Halkett are the only players in the Hearts team I'd worry about.

They are a strange team for sure. On paper they look to have a decent squad but results don’t lie.  Apparently they have only won 4 times v top flight sides in 2019. 

Sadly they have signed a new keeper on loan as that Zlamal looked a bomb scare v Ross County.  Plus they are trying to sign a couple of others before Friday including Glen Whelan. 

But key for me is Naismith. An annoying and moaning wee barsteward, but their best and most influential player by a mile. Their record with him in the team is very good v atrocious when he is not playing. Fingers crossed they do not risk him as to do so means he could be out for longer term. That said they may take the risk as to lose in this game ramps up the pressure on Levein if that is even possible. 

But huge game for our season too. I just hope the defence is switched on and cuts out the mistakes from the weekend. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, daver said:

Has Robinson not regularly used League Cup games to give the second choice 'keeper a game . Playing Carson against Hearts wouldn't necessarily mean he's dropping Gillespie, just rotating the squad. 

I think if Robinson didn't play Carson against Annan he wont play him against Hearts. Unless Carson is getting fitter / healthier all the time and may be seen as ready now. If SR doesn't feel that yet I don't think he will play Carson (which I would agree with).

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hearts have been atrocious. After Levein's comments at the weekend, however, you just know they are going to be fired up for this one. 

We've never had an easy cup tie against Hearts and Friday will be no exception.

I don't think for a minute it will be an easy game on Friday but will gutted if we end up going  out to this mob especially with home advantage as they are definetly there for the taking.

They have been poor for most of 2019,  despite being in the top 6 last season and a final, which maybe says more about the teams below them.   

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

We've never had an easy cup tie against Hearts and Friday will be no exception.

This ^^^. 
You can never be cocky against any Hearts side. They have a much bigger ‘Ann’ budget than us (sorry!) and we will need to make our home advantage count. 

• Like 1

If we can get certain players to cut out individual mistakes similar to those at the weekend then we will have a good chance of progression. 

I still worry we don’t have a reliable striker yet. Scott has actually impressed me and Long has looked good in moments but neither are likely to be prolific any time soon. Cole seems to have something about him so be interesting to see who starts up front tomorrow.

Will also be interesting to see what kind of crowd they bring through. They are on a downer at the moment, but that said they still seem quite confident of winning  based on Jambo Kickback. Better that than the majority thinking they will lose.

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Are they honestly any better than us ? Looking at highlights of their games this season they have been pretty awful.

They have been pretty awful, but that doesn't matter in a cup game. Can you remember any cup ties with Hearts, regardless of their form, that were easy? Or any easy league games against them in recent times?

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

They have been pretty awful, but that doesn't matter in a cup game. Can you remember any cup ties with Hearts, regardless of their form, that were easy? Or any easy league games against them in recent times?

I would never say easy, and it certainly won’t be easy this time. However I certainly don’t think we have anything to fear.

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would never say easy, and it certainly won’t be easy this time. However I certainly don’t think we have anything to fear.

I agree with that, and think could edge it by a goal. I'm just not buying into the "they're atrocious, it will be easy" chat.