2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

On 8/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, The African said:

Carson has been the very definition of professional in his attitude, but you wonder how long he can bide his time when a player of his quality needs first team football. Surely a loan move would make sense for all parties?

I'm not sure a loan move would make much sense for us, as he's out of contract at the end of the season. I'll be surprised if he's not moved on in January for a small fee.

Unless, of course, Gillespie attracts attention and he moves on. In that case Carson may even sign a new deal.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not sure a loan move would make much sense for us, as he's out of contract at the end of the season. I'll be surprised if he's not moved on in January for a small fee.

Unless, of course, Gillespie attracts attention and he moves on. In that case Carson may even sign a new deal.

The only reason a loan makes sense is to cut costs a little and the fact we could recall him if Gillespie picked up an injury. Cannot see us getting much of a fee for Carson, though anything is better than nothing, and Carson deserves first team football and maybe a good deal at a bigger club.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Hearts look utter dung and Hibs don’t look any better.

I think not only can we beat them tonight, we can finish ahead of them in the league. Naismith is their best player by a mile and he’s had rotten luck with injuries.

I actually think we'll finish 10th this season. Don't get all the early season optimism. I appreciate we're playing some nice stuff but the real lack of a cutting edge will cost us. Fully expect us to lose tonight and at Douglas Park next week. That would mean out of the league cup and one point out of nine from the first three games. 

Really hope I'm proved wrong but we can't be relying on Liam Donnelly for goals. Scott looks the best bet among our strikers and even he's a work in progress. That being said, wingers aren't giving strikers much to work with either. Adds up to a lot of 'Motherwell nils' to me...

13 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I actually think we'll finish 10th this season. Don't get all the early season optimism. I appreciate we're playing some nice stuff but the real lack of a cutting edge will cost us. Fully expect us to lose tonight and at Douglas Park next week. That would mean out of the league cup and one point out of nine from the first three games. 

Really hope I'm proved wrong but we can't be relying on Liam Donnelly for goals. Scott looks the best bet among our strikers and even he's a work in progress. That being said, wingers aren't giving strikers much to work with either. Adds up to a lot of 'Motherwell nils' to me...

:doh: What a load of negative depressing shite,  2 games in and we are heading for a shit season, it's unreal.

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

:doh: What a load of negative depressing shite,  2 games in and we are heading for a shit season, it's unreal.

Couldn't agree more. Fully expecting us to lose tonight and next week against accies, Jesus wept. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Only saying what I see. Would be delighted to be proved wrong. Have seen us play four games this season and while the style of play is attractive, I don't see where the goals are going to come from. Maybe Cole will be the answer? I don't know. Before anyone points it out, I know we scored 2 against Celtic but for me, first was a howler from Bain. 

I was actually pretty positive after the game on Saturday thinking we'd played quite well in the first half. But even given that performance, how many good saves did the Celtic keeper have to make. You don't hit the target, you don't score.

I'll go tonight hoping that the team prove me wrong and I'll do the same next Saturday.  Maybe it'll suddenly click for Long, Cole or Scott. Maybe Ilic and Seedorf will prove me wrong and have the ability at this level. At the moment, I'm not confident...

2 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Friday night, miserable weather, game on TV and Hearts out of form so I don't expect many to trek through from Edinburgh.  Home crowd might not be very big either.  Be doing well to get crowd above 4,000.

This might be in our favour. 700-800 pissed off Jambos on a cold wet Fir Park getting on the players and managers back. We just need an early goal to rile them. 

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

While I’m realistic enough to realise we are unlikely to challenge Celtic, Rangers and probably Aberdeen, if you can’t have a bit of optimism about a cup run and/or a top 6 finish in August, whats the point?

Our 2 league games have been against Celtic who will win the league at a canter and Livi who are very strong at home on a tricky surface. I’m not going to write us off as relegation candidates based on those 2 games, nor have us winning the league because we beat Annan and Dumbarton...

I think we could be most improved team this season. I don’t think that’s unrealistic.

Not so sure about Aberdeen, they are very shite at the moment.

I am with Al B, I think we are going to be 4th,3rd is not beyond us at the moment and will be dusting out our Passports for a European Tour!

There is something about the team this year, they are not clicking yet, but when they do I think they are going to run riot

10 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

This might be in our favour. 700-800 pissed off Jambos on a cold wet Fir Park getting on the players and managers back. We just need an early goal to rile them. 

You will be disappointed. They have sold 1500 tickets as of yesterday and bearing in mind also PATG. I would expect them to have 2000+ which is a decent turn out given how p1ssed off they are. 

Home crowd is anyone’s guess but most of the people I know going to games are going through tonight. So I reckon crown will be around the 5-6000 mark. 

Of course we can win but we need to be better defensively than we were against Celtic. Naismith not playing is a good thing but Whelan and new goalie may give them some more confidence. 

Don't care how we do it - just win Motherwell. 

12 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

You will be disappointed. They have sold 1500 tickets as of yesterday and bearing in mind also PATG. I would expect them to have 2000+ which is a decent turn out given how p1ssed off they are. 

Home crowd is anyone’s guess but most of the people I know going to games are going through tonight. So I reckon crown will be around the 5-6000 mark. 

Of course we can win but we need to be better defensively than we were against Celtic. Naismith not playing is a good thing but Whelan and new goalie may give them some more confidence. 

Don't care how we do it - just win Motherwell. 

That’s a cracking turnout for a game that’s on the telly. Fair play to those Jambos and kerching for us. 

2 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

That’s a cracking turnout for a game that’s on the telly. Fair play to those Jambos and kerching for us. 

Not anything less than I'd expect 3 games into the season, cup game playing against a side from a city with 500,000 inhabitants.

As for Melvin's comments. Too soon to be that pessimistic we played a league winners with a team pretty much settled and adapted to the pace of our game. We played the team with the 4th best home record in the top flight last season. Our starting line up is pretty much 4 players who were not up to speed and having to build stamina and fitness quickly and that will come with time.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

We really do need a decent striker in. It'll make all the difference. In papers today Kilmarnock interested in Kyle Lafferty. Why are we dragging our heels on him.

53 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Not so sure about Aberdeen, they are very shite at the moment.

I am with Al B, I think we are going to be 4th,3rd is not beyond us at the moment and will be dusting out our Passports for a European Tour!

There is something about the team this year, they are not clicking yet, but when they do I think they are going to run riot

Interesting to read the differencing opinions forming based on watching the same team over the same games!! As usual I suspect the truth is somewhere in-between finish 4th & 10th (7th or 8th would be my bet)! Agree with most that unless Cole can fill the number 9 role then we are going to struggle to put the ball in the net. Also, think we still have a weakness to our midfield that needs addressed and will be exposed by the better teams in the league. Just to finish the negativity, lets hope Tait and Carroll stay fit all season, Grimshaw is woeful at right back and will deffo cost us goals regularly in my opinion.

Tonight will be tight and as usual the first goal in these games will be important, particularly with them potentially being a little low in confidence after their relatively poor start to the season. Whatever happens tonight I still expect us to beat Accies next week.......

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

We really do need a decent striker in. It'll make all the difference. In papers today Kilmarnock interested in Kyle Lafferty. Why are we dragging our heels on him.

If they can cough up the not inconsiderable sum of money needed good luck to them.

Outside of Celtic and Rangers we have Hearts,Killy, St Johnstone, Hibs who all look to be going backwards, Aberdeen hardly spectacular, and maybe the dark horses in Ross County. Top four looks up for grabs to any half decent team showing a bit of consistency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

Interesting to read the differencing opinions forming based on watching the same team over the same games!! As usual I suspect the truth is somewhere in-between finish 4th & 10th (7th or 8th would be my bet)! Agree with most that unless Cole can fill the number 9 role then we are going to struggle to put the ball in the net. Also, think we still have a weakness to our midfield that needs addressed and will be exposed by the better teams in the league. Just to finish the negativity, lets hope Tait and Carroll stay fit all season, Grimshaw is woeful at right back and will deffo cost us goals regularly in my opinion.

Tonight will be tight and as usual the first goal in these games will be important, particularly with them potentially being a little low in confidence after their relatively poor start to the season. Whatever happens tonight I still expect us to beat Accies next week.......

Don't agree with the Grimshaw point at all, he was a main stay at right back last season and certainly didn't cost us goals regularly. What has made you come to this conclusion?