2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

Choosing the tactic of having everything go though a guy playing long diagonal Pirlo/Beckham passes, and deciding Charles Dunne is going to be that guy, is like deciding you want a room full of balloons for a party and choosing Edward Scissorhands to blow them up.

What's even more stupid, is then not being able to understand why your party has no balloons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Seedorf and Scott off. Bit harsh on Scott he wasn't the worst

Created our only chance of the first half and gets pulled.   When guys that did fuck all stay on the pitch.  By all means bring on Long but change the formation to 4-4-2.

Match could best be summarized as guff beats shite.

Hearts are at best bang average and they have come here and put us out the cup, and even though we were terrible they only managed that due to a crazy error from our goalkeeper.  A lot like last season when they beat us at Fir Park due to a McHugh error.

Where do you start?  Trying to play the ball out through Dunne is madness.  Not only is he slow as fuck moving the ball, he can't pass and has no vision whatsoever.  The midfield isn't fit for purpose.  Polworth has a touch but he just doesn't impose himself on the game and Donnelly isn't technically proficient enough to replace Gorrin.

The wide players are a big worry because against the three top level teams we've played they have done absolutely fuck all.  Hylton looked out his depth tonight.  And although Seedorf was a little better he was still fucking miles out.

Feel really sorry for Scott who was completely isolated with no one to play off.

Play like that against Accies and we'll get nothing again.  But, hey, at least we'll have a plastic pitch to blame everything on.

I hope to god it doesn't take Robinson 6 months again to realise a rethink is needed.

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Lol, 3 players mentioned before Tait? Someone must have a Man crush! Tait looks like a fucking jake who won a pre match competition in Daniels. 

Tait was poor, agreed. However he’s been constantly asked to play out of position......and Tait is not the reason we lost tonight.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gee said:

If we’ve just got budget remaining for one striker and it’s to be someone who comes straight into the team, Robinson needs to get this one right. 

No more fucking deadwood in the squad is a must. 

We can buy whoever you like but they are doing nothing with the wide players and midfield performing as they are.

Playing a 4-3-3 with a striker that is completely isolated is the problem.

Im really worried Robinson is gonna ruin James Scott. The kid scored 3 goals against pub teams in pre season, he has talent and a lot of promise, but is a mile away from an SPL striker  at present. He needs at least 6 months battling in the championship! Especially when we are trying to "develop" him beside the array of utter shite we currently employ.

I was genuinely encouraged sitting in the Cooper watching the Morton game, but having watched 3 "proper" games now I am really worried. Our movement off the ball is laughable and teams know that. They also know if they sit in at full back, our Wingers are completely useless. We have a decent plan A (although we are a million miles away from being fit enough to employ it) and absolutely zero after that. Livingston, Celtic & now Hearts, its pass across the pitch from Dunne to Gallagher and back, then a 60 yard hoof to a wing and hope someone is in that general direction. Its awful to watch and just fucking abysmal

13 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Hearts look utter dung and Hibs don’t look any better.

I think not only can we beat them tonight, we can finish ahead of them in the league. Naismith is their best player by a mile and he’s had rotten luck with injuries.

Wish we were as utter dung as Hearts ,unlike us they have signed two or three decent players and ran all over the top of us first half . The three in the middle of the park simply won't do  and I'll say it again Polworth is the new Ian Vigurs a good footballer with the ball at his feet but a luxury we can't have.Donnelly a failed centre back / right back is being asked to pull the strings in the middle of the park with no ability and Campbell is suffering because of the shite round about him . We have signed no quality and are now playing like a English non league team if we don't beat Accies is it crisis time I believe it is .The two wingers are an absolute waste of space and Illic well enough said 

• Like 1

Well what a lot of shite that was tonight, beaten by a feckin woeful Hearts side, we were a shambles all over the park.

Hylton was brutal, as was Polworth and Seedorf, and as for Scott, he tries hard but he is a long long way off what we need.

The midfield was posted missing, we were slow on the ball all night, defensively Tait had a nightmare. 

I thought when we scored  we would go on and put them under pressure as they started to play deeper but it never happened, good goal by long but again I am not convinced by him either.

As for Cole he has to be the worst player I have seen at Fir park in a long time he is brutal runs about like a headless chicken.

So all told a very bad night, a drastic improvement is required as that was a painful watch tonight.

Manager keeps playing Tait at left back and he 's a natural right back . Goal on Saturday and tonight  coming from the left where there are wide open spaces for opposition  players to run at us . Every game the same situation. How does Robinson not see this. Tait's first home league game for us was against Rangers and Tait played a blinder at Right Back as he usually does when played in position. He moves inside and leaves space for the opposition. Play players in position and give the team a chance. As well as that Dunne continues to play long high diagonal that nobody can catch . Maybe one in ten passes is completed by him. Again another consistent mistake the management don't seem to be able to see. That was dreadful tonight.

55 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Tait was poor, agreed. However he’s been constantly asked to play out of position......and Tait is not the reason we lost tonight.....

He was one of the main reasons we lost as was also the case on Saturday .

I do agree though regarding playing him on the left. But then we have a Manager who opts to disrupt the entire team when the first choice left back is out, rather than give a chance to a natural left sided reserve at full back. Different if Tait had actually performed to any sort of decent level throughout pre season or in any competitive game so far. But he hasn’t. Not even in his proper position. His poor form from the last few months of last season has continued. For whatever reason, he is not the same player as he was 18 months ago. Injury? Confidence? 

Livingstone might not be the answer , but we will never know unless he is given a proper chance, even if it is only through injury or suspension. He performed better than either of tonight’s full backs in what limited playing time he was given in pre season. Certainly provided more going forward than Tait and actually went beyond Hylton....something Tait now seems reluctant to do. What was the point in giving Livingstone a new contract if the Manager does not trust him or believe he is up to it? 

As for those long diagonal passes. It’s soul destroying. How many have we seen fired over the winger’s head and out of play ? But it’s not only Dunne. Every defender and midfielder tries the same thing. Maybe we should be asking questions of the person that is instructing them to play that way. It’s not unplanned. Maybe somebody should point out that you can actually pass the ball on the ground to the wide players. 

I stated earlier today that I thought we lacked a cutting edge. I was wrong, we lack a whole lot more than that. People can rip the pish about 'earning the right to play football' and 'doing the free stuff' but the fact is that we've gone from a team that didn't give opponents a minute's peace to the easiest team in the world to play against. A Naismith-less Hearts passed their way around us tonight. Let that sink in..

I know this will go down like a lead balloon here but really need to consider switching to 352. None of the wingers are making any impact, strikers are isolated. Ditch the wingers and hope that two of the strikers hit it off. If nothing else it'll make us less open.

Next Saturday I'd be going with

Carson

Maguire Gallagher Dunne

Tait Semple Donnelly Campbell Carroll

Scott Long

Felt sorry for Scott tonight. Had nothing to work with first half and was hooked at half time. Cole looked clumsy but at least his physicality caused them some problems. Long benefited from this. 

Anyone who thinks there's even a remote chance of top six needs their head read...

5 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Livingstone might not be the answer , but we will never know unless he is given a proper chance, even if it is only through injury or suspension. He performed better than either of tonight’s full backs in what limited playing time he was given in pre season. Certainly provided more going forward than Tait and actually went beyond Hylton....something Tait now seems reluctant to do.

The monotonous regularity with which our wingers lose possession, no wonder our full backs are reluctant to overlap...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

The monotonous regularity with which our wingers lose possession, no wonder our full backs are reluctant to overlap...

Or maybe the wingers hold onto the ball too long because the full backs don’t help them by making runs beyond them. Or there is nobody in midfield demanding the ball. Or their is nobody in the box to cross to. Tait’s first season he was near the top of the table for assists, having made runs forward and provided a decent final pass. That was on the right side of the pitch to be fair. Wingers are not great. Far from it.  But  it’s not all down to them.

Also it’s hard to control a pass when it’s three feet over your head and endangering the crowd in the East Stand.

• Like 1

One of the worst displays in many a year.  It's down to Robinson who is clueless.  We lucked out last year when he ran out of ideas and gave Turnbull a run and the rest was history.  Not replacing Gorrin will cost up big time. Polworth is too lazy and drifts out a game and Campbell is getting overrun.  As for Donnelly....naaa you're alright. Up front nothingof note, Scott is nowhere near first team yet and needs a wise head to learn from. Long offers nothing and the wingers have bursts of pace but no technical skills to beat a man.  10th place for us..have ninth, but there is genuinely no creative force on that team currently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Or maybe the wingers hold onto the ball too long because the full backs don’t help them by making runs beyond them. Or there is nobody in midfield demanding the ball. Or their is nobody in the box to cross to. Tait’s first season he was near the top of the table for assists, having made runs forward and provided a decent final pass. That was on the right side of the pitch to be fair. Wingers are not great. Far from it.  But  it’s not all down to them.

Also it’s hard to control a pass when it’s three feet over your head and endangering the crowd in the East Stand.

I'd agree Tait's been poor but for me the wingers look out of their depth. Whether that's simply down to fitness as Robinson suggested, I have no idea. But watching them, they simply don't look good enough...

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'd agree Tait's been poor but for me the wingers look out of their depth. Whether that's simply down to fitness as Robinson suggested, I have no idea. But watching them, they simply don't look good enough...

I agree the wingers have been poor. All of them. But for Robinson tonight and on Saturday to blame the defeats on new unfit players is just nonsense. Many of the established players have also been terrible, but they seem exempt from criticism. In fact, in my humble opinion, our two most consistently well performing players are newbies.....Gallagher and ( despite some views on here) Polworth.

I agree with melvin,as things stand,i wouldn't be completely against going back to a 352,the lack of any real quality in the forward area and the balance in midfield,makes it almost impossible to persist with 433.if we start with hylton and seedorf against accies and its the usual shitfest of a game,then there's only going to be one winner and it ain't us.