2019-20 League Cup

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, Suprawell said:

Also interesting to hear the manager basically throw his players to the wolves for the second game running.  After Celtic he named them outright. 

Robbo needs to take responsibility here,. He trains and coaches them and picks the team.   Calling out players isn't the answer. 

From BBC

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson: "We didn't do enough to win the game. I thought we were laboured and predictable and passed the ball too slowly without any purpose.

"There were a few people didn't do their jobs in the first half but that's the level of player we need to recruit so we have to teach them. We didn't lose because of the penalties. We lacked real men tonight."

"Few people didn't do their jobs"........including yourself.......you know what you are going to get against Hertz .... A physical battle

the team selection/ tactics were wrong from the start

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

Got to ask what do you see in Hylton and Illic both up till now have been rotten 

Well with Hylton he totally tore it up in the betfred cup games, Ilic against Morton seemed to look decent but maybe not as effective since. Hylton also impressed against livi when given the ball to feet and also done some good work against Celtic last week.

Even if we had won last night, I wasn't looking forward to Accies and their  pitch but after that  nightmare  performance it's hard to see where the bottle necessary to get any points there will come from. I wonder if Robinson's "real men" jibe will rebound on him, too?

It's not just the new players who don't look fit,  either. I thought Tait (what's happened to him?) and Campbell looked sluggish and Gillespie's confidence and judgment also seem to have taken a knock.

Seedorf looks ineffectual and weedy (same for Cole)  but even he was better than Hylton, who looks the part physically but doesn't even track back. Mind you giving them the ball when they are almost stationary and double-marked isn't likely to end successfully. Seems no-one is capable of placing a pass inside the full back, apart from Polworth, who reminds me of Vigurs but without the nasty side to his play.

Blood and snotters attitude needed for next Saturday but it's hard to see where it's going to come from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

I am sorry to have to say it but we are now beginning to see and feel the effects of being a fan-owned club which quite simply does not have a large enough fan base to justify it.  We are now quite literally being run on a shoestring.  The desperately poor level of player that has been signed by the manager during the past close season are a symptom of this.  He is being forced to gamble with players who, although they may have showed a modicum of skill/ability, lack the basic attributes of what is required of modern-day professional footballers in the hope that he and his coaching staff can bring them up to a decent level.  While this has worked in some cases previously, there have been more sows ears than silk purses and I'm afraid that the majority of the latest crop of close season signings fall into the former category.  It is I'm afraid going to be a long hard slog of a season and one in which I feel we are ill-equipped for the inevitable relegation dogfight that we will end up in with St.Mirren and the Accies.

Hard to find too many positives after last night but Gallagher and Polworth will be good signings....have to agree with majority re Seedorf, he doesn’t look like he has a trick to get by a player.....maybe just pace....

Am sure Gillespie will come good, if not we have a pretty good back up

Cant see too many more positives based on last night ......

2 hours ago, Suprawell said:

Also interesting to hear the manager basically throw his players to the wolves for the second game running.  After Celtic he named them outright. 

Robbo needs to take responsibility here,. He trains and coaches them and picks the team.   Calling out players isn't the answer. 

Takes blame for nothing, last week fitness was the issue...he should see that for himself.  He will lose dressing room if he keeps coming out with those kind of statements. 

• Like 1

So when Robinson backs his players in the media the posters on here get upset that he's too stupid to see the poor perfromances, too loyal and needs to start holding players accountable.

And when he points out poor performers, he's not taking responsibility and will lose the dressing room.

We can agree or disagree with his approach, but I'm pretty sure Robinson knows that every performance and every shortcoming ultimately falls on him. I wouldn't expect him to point fingers after every game, but a rocket now and then does no harm. Crags was the same when he was coaching the U20s - never afraid to point out the shortcomings of players, or what they'd need to improve to get their chance in the first team.

I tend not to make too many demands of our team but one of them is making sure you don't go out of Cup competitions with a whimper.  You would be hard pushed to make the argument we down all guns blazing last night!

I felt this would be the best opportunity yet to see where we are on our own patch with a side, although bigger, one we beat on their last visit here. There was no lower division opposition. No plastic pitch. No League Champions.  And we were found wanting to a pretty worrying degree.

Physically we just didn't look on the same level as Hearts and with that came a visible lack of belief that we could play through them and around them without being bullied or outrun. And Hearts sussed that very early on.

Poor defending, poor decision making, slow predictable passes that allowed Hearts to get set pretty much all night.

There was just so much that wasn't anywhere good enough.

The first half an hour against Celtic suggests there is a level we can reach that is way in excess of what we showed through much of last night.  I hope that as the team gel and become increasingly sharper that half spell against Celtic becomes the norm rather than the exception, otherwise tricky times may lie ahead.

Some things to be addressed before Hamilton!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suprawell said:

You have to think that Robbo knows his players better than we do and knows what he is doing by going public.  As Bill Shankly said years ago though, every player is different.  You need to boot some up the arse and give them the hairdryer treatment but with others you need to put a comforting arm around them, and give them quiet encouragement.  

The only positive I can take out of this game is that considering how bad we were we only got beat 2-1. So if we can actually improve then we might have a decent season.  We are obviously not physical enough so we will have to learn how to play possession. As recently mentioned we have to reproduce the performance we saw in the first 20 mins against Celtic. Let’s hope Hylton and Seedorf are quick learners and that we make use of their speed by playing through balls for them to run onto behind the defense. 

It could have been but there is not much we could do with the draw. I knew we would get Hearts the minute they were unseeded. Reverse psychology of course but surprised me not one bit when we were paired with them .

I have calmed down since last night or my post early this morning but still was a very poor performance. Watched some of the game back and certain players were well below par or maybe that is their level. 

Todays results so far show that many top sides have struggled against lower league sides. 

Not sure what to make of Polworth. Much like Caley fans said he will split opinion. A very talented player and has been the source of most of our creative moves. Hylton I expected to be a shrewd signing but clearly a bit of a work ethic issue based on last nights game. 

Next week is huge. We need a good performance and result to kick start the season, but it looks as if Accies will be usual stubborn selves. I will not be there so that should give a better chance of a positive result :-)

7 hours ago, Shaka said:

It was mentioned in Commentary that Gallagher had been ill all week with a temp of 38°. Funny how , when Robbo is under pressure, it becomes a 40°  Temperature to try prove something? If anything it (playing with a 40° temp) proves the Manager is a clueless fuckwit as that wouldve been pretty dangerous and irresponsible on his part!

Oh it definitely proves something.  That those who do not rate or want Robinson out will find a negative to in any situation to offer a gloomier outlook.

There's surely plenty folk can find wrong with tactics, formation, signings whatever without the need to twist every remark?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supermarv said:

Well with Hylton he totally tore it up in the betfred cup games, Ilic against Morton seemed to look decent but maybe not as effective since. Hylton also impressed against livi when given the ball to feet and also done some good work against Celtic last week.

Sorry mate can't agree with any of that the two of them are a luxury we can't have .What we will have to hope is that Robinson being the wonderful coach he is brings the best out in them for the under 21 team 

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

Sorry mate can't agree with any of that the two of them are a luxury we can't have .What we will have to hope is that Robinson being the wonderful coach he is brings the best out in them for the under 21 team 

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

A luxury,,,, I feckin wish they were as that implies they have great talent, they look out of their depth at SPL level, but the signs are there that they could come good. I would give them till January before judging them , so hopefully SR can get the best from them.

11 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

What could have been... Hearts v Aberdeen
image.gif.abb39990feefc9c0aaa86eec03710ae8.gif

The way it's been for us with cup draws in recent years , it would  have been guaranteed either Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen had we got through. I see the ugly sisters got their usual easy ties.