Odds and Sods Motherwell Thread

Andy_P

On 9/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, AlmostFrazzled said:

I’m his son actually. The generosity of people has brought me to tears a couple of times this week.

His funeral is on Wednesday 18th September at 10am at the Linn Crematorium. 

I’m making it my target to get to the Ross County game as the big man would be furious if I missed a game at Fir Park.

Hi Fraser. Peter and I were at the crematorium to pay respects to your Dad this morning. You wouldn't notice us in the crowd - great turn out. He was clearly a lovely man. Deepest condolences again to you, your Mum and sister. We will be there on Saturday for you if you can make it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gullane said:

Hi Fraser. Peter and I were at the crematorium to pay respects to your Dad this morning. You wouldn't notice us in the crowd - great turn out. He was clearly a lovely man. Deepest condolences again to you, your Mum and sister. We will be there on Saturday for you if you can make it.

I had a feeling it was you guys as a few of my mates were saying a couple of guys were there with Motherwell scarves. Never noticed you as my head is absolutely up my backside today. 

We all thought there would be a decent turnout but I wasn’t expecting 400+. A fitting send off for the big man.

I’ll be there on Saturday. The big man wouldn’t let me have it any other way.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I've just been reading that UEFA are setting up a diddy cup below the Europa league from 2021-22.

So unless we qualify for the Europa League this season we'll probably be aiming at the UEFA Europa Conference League in future.

As will a lot of the clubs in europe. Europa league itself is really being reduced.  More of the same from UEFA to ensure the top 5 league make up a big % of the top two comps.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:53 PM, AlmostFrazzled said:

I made it along on Saturday. The minutes applause had me in tears.

At least my old man would have got a laugh at the most typically Motherwell performance we've put in this season. 

Sorry to hear about your dad- recognised him from the Cooper Stand. Glad you made it along- it sounds as though it's what he would have wanted and, as you say, the most typical Motherwell performance. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Motherwell feature on the cover of this new book, ‘it’s A Team Game’.
We are pictured wearing a rare all white away kit no doubt in a bold attempt to copy Real Madrid. A print of this very picture came free with the original release of the ‘Up The Well’ single. 

I'll have a stab at the names in that picture. 

Back Jumbo Muir,  Whiteford, Wark,  Donnelly, McCloy,  McCallum,  John Murray

Front Howitt, Jimmy  Wilson, McInally,  Bobby Campbell, Deans,  Goldthorpe, Humphries.

Although my dad took me to games from the late fifties, when I was very young, this era around 1968/69 was when I became serious supporter old enough to go with my pals. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sinjy said:

Front Howitt, Jimmy  Wilson, McInally,  Bobby Campbell, Deans,  Goldthorpe, Humphries.

Although my dad took me to games from the late fifties, when I was very young, this era around 1968/69 was when I became serious supporter old enough to go with my pals. 

Go to the top of the class 

2 hours ago, sinjy said:

Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Who did we clash with ?????

I seem to recall that whenever Aberdeen came to Fir Park in the late 70s early 80s we changed into our white away kit.

Not really sure why as its not an obvious clash of colour. Maybe just an excuse to wear it. Not sure kit suppliers would have had anything written into contracts in those days.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I seem to recall that whenever Aberdeen came to Fir Park in the late 70s early 80s we changed into our white away kit.

Not really sure why as its not an obvious clash of colour. Maybe just an excuse to wear it. Not sure kit suppliers would have had anything written into contracts in those days.

From memory, when it used to be the home side that changed kit, I'm pretty sure I have seen us change it against Arbroath, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Partick Thistle, Hearts, East Fife and Stenhousemuir (in a Scottish Cup game). I have a feeling we changed against Dumbarton when they had a predominately yellow shirt, but I might be misremembering that.

I'm sure we also changed against Albion Rovers in the Lanarkshire Cup.

The changes against Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen in particular didn't seem to be consistent and if you look on Youtube you'll see games against them where neither side changed and other games during the same period where a change was made.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, underboyleheating said:

Tomorrow, 22.35 BBC One Scotland.  A subject that needs to be discussed more openly and one that our club has highlighted for a good few years...
The Lost Boys

Just giving this another bump.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, weeyin said:

The changes against Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen in particular didn't seem to be consistent and if you look on Youtube you'll see games against them where neither side changed and other games during the same period where a change was made.

I've been keeping a record of kits worn for a couple of seasons now and there is no consistency whatsoever.

Last season we were more likely to wear our change kit against teams in green than red or maroon and changed our away socks and home shorts in an apparently random manner.

Motherwell KITS 2018.png

In recent times I'm sure it's contractual rather than practical i.e. we need to wear our change kit a minimum of 8 times a season, or similar.

Another reason teams used to change kit in the 60s and 70s was when they were televised and wanted to make it easier to distinguish in black and white. I remember that even after all the games were in televised in colour on STV,  it took Grampian a few years to get colour cameras; so Aberdeen game highlights on Scotsport were black and white for a while.

Just had shiver listening  to Off the Ball second show on Saturday. Alan Preston said that  his cousin John Hughes should have left Raith Rovers before he did.  He was approached by Motherwell to replace Mark McGhee but refused to speak  to us out of loyalty to Raith. Phew!