££££££££'s

ONeils4oyarder

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Agreed, I have sat in the pod for years and it is well past its best, catering points, seating, access, PA system, and the unfinished bit at the end, they are all not up to modern standards.

But that said  those criticisms could be applied to just about every  ground in Scotland, the view from the pod is great though :D

Yes the view is great for sure, I was shocked though at just how bad the interior was, talk about grim, I sit in the cooper stand which is far better ( newer of course).

A new main stand is something that's going to need done sooner or later. If it was designed to mirror something similar to the Davie Cooper then Fir Park has the potential to be a decent, very enclosed ground as the South and Cooper stands are fine as is the park plus we don't want to end up in a soulless wee shoebox like St Mirren and Airdrie. 

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ain’t going to happen.

Hear the ‘soulless’ comment trotted out regularly by those averse to change - it’s not the concrete & steel construction that creates soul.

I guess at some point it will need to happen if the club stays at Fir Park, just don’t see it anytime soon.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, Kmcalpin said:

No problem.  Issue 1 is access.  As far as I can tell the eastern boundary of the stand abuts the western boundary of Knowetop Primary School (and astroturf pitch) in other words its totally constrained.  As it is access can only be gained from Knowetop Avenue although in theory (police agreement permitting) it could be taken from the South stand end although I doubt that would be deemed "desirable". Issue 2: I suppose that the structure could be moved slightly westwards by, as you say, sacrificing 2 rows of seats, and maybe increasing the overall height and therefore the angle of slope.  That could cause problems with the school though in terms of sunlight.   As OTF mentioned (presumably in relation to the Huinter Stand, but maybe also in relation to the POD Stand) there could be technical problems.  There could also be technical issues with old and shallow coal workings underground - less likely in terms of the POD Stand because of its existing load.   

Appreciate that explanation. I hadn't really considered access, but I presume that's something which is permitted on the basis that it can't be changed, but a new one would need it to be better. Height and over-hang at the back would also presumably be increased by any sort of cantilever-ing of a roof on there.

Take your point on coal workings as well, although I was under the impression the old bus garage at the bottom of Hamilton road was the same, and there's (roughly) 3 million houses on it now.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:43 PM, Onthefringes said:

Hear the ‘soulless’ comment trotted out regularly by those averse to change - it’s not the concrete & steel construction that creates soul.

Yep. I was in Paisley for the play-off final, and I very much doubt that anyone would refer to it as soulless. To me, any redevelopment of Fir Park would (perhaps obviously) be hugely more attractive. 'Soul', I'd say is created with great memories at a stadium, which is why places like Paisley and Airdrie perhaps don't feel that way, as there simply haven't been that many great moments there. A tidied up Fir Park would retain those memories we all have, even if your seat is a bit of a different angle.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Take your point on coal workings as well, although I was under the impression the old bus garage at the bottom of Hamilton road was the same, and there's (roughly) 3 million houses on it now.

Its more than likely that there are old coal workings under Fir Park, and indeed under much of Motherwell and Wishaw. Many will be unrecorded or not mapped so its a known unknown.  Shallow workings are a particular problem and can cause instability or subsidence.  If there are any under a site, they can be grouted with cement but that depends on sub surface conditions.   In extreme circumtances they can be opencasted.  Whilst technically possible they may not be desirable however.  Many of you will be familiar with the small opencast site next to St James Park in Newcastle. That was worked to enable development to take place.   

If as seems likely we pay off our debt in the near future, I think the windfall should be split between the Academy, which is serving us very well; improving the quality, not the quantity, of the first team squad and perhaps giving the fans something back in the form of improved facilities, if thats possible.   There will be no shortage of avenues for any cash. 

A priority must be the academy.  To me that is where the possibility of good income is most likely. When you get almost a million for Hall, McKinstrey and Hastie who between them played around 30 first team games it is apparent that clubs in England are prepared to spend big money (to us ) on taking  a punt on potential.

49 minutes ago, ropy said:

Heated?

Obviously, chilly otherwise. Could resolve pitch incursions and that as well. 

Maybe even drink in it if we call it international waters.

A moat would be great for preventing pitch invasions, and we could have floating advertising signs, like a more laid back version of those annoying as fuck electronic ones with cars on them. I’m sold.

Now looking forward to the exclusive in the sun.

9 minutes ago, Ross said:

I could see a small part of the money from Turnbull being used to put safe standing in the east stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club have priced this before and the value for money it offers is pretty s#ite going given that the area you would install standing in the punters stand anyway. 

Main stand investment is needed to secure the future of the club - facilities such as modern changing rooms, medical facilities,  corporate suites and the full length of the pitch would make Fir Park every bit as enclosed as Tynecastle. Upgraded facilities could go a distance in encouraging more players in the door, local companies to use the facilities instead of the rotten mob and who knows, maybe new supporters. Obviously any new main stand would need a heated lazy river with an inclusive bar service as that is going to be bog standard moving forward in Scottish Stadia excellence. 

Agree with most of the posts on here about the POD where i sit. It seriously need a lot of work done on it. New seating for a start. To knock it down and rebuild it would be 5mill plus. We dont have that kind of money but 1mill to do serious upgrade we can and need to.

1 hour ago, DEWELL said:

Agree with most of the posts on here about the POD where i sit. It seriously need a lot of work done on it. New seating for a start. To knock it down and rebuild it would be 5mill plus. We dont have that kind of money but 1mill to do serious upgrade we can and need to.

I’d rather stay in my current seat and see what a £1M upgrade can pay for on the park.

Tie down a few of the younger players on decent long term deals and buy one or two more proven players  with potential. 

Agree about upgrade but think it could be done in a couple of years with cash from further sales. 

• Like 2

I like most of it to go into youth academy and training facilities.

I'm quite happy with my seat in the POD. Rather money wasnt spent on that to be honest.  Certainly not a million quid to upgrade it. The bucket seats do look shite mind you.

As for the safe standing bit suggested, if the fans that sit there contribute then crack on but I wouldn't want to see club money used for it. The killie one is fan funded. 

I might be in the minority, but i quite like POD stand, It adds a certain character to the stadium with the unfinished last quarter however I have never sat there so can't comment on the facilities etc. I do believe its a cracking view though. With regards to the safe standing, It's not something that appeals to me in the slightest...will it really make a difference? you have the end section and maybe the section next to it who stand anyway. it won't add anything to the ground will it? For me a waste of money.

12 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I might be in the minority, but i quite like POD stand, It adds a certain character to the stadium with the unfinished last quarter however I have never sat there so can't comment on the facilities etc. I do believe its a cracking view though. With regards to the safe standing, It's not something that appeals to me in the slightest...will it really make a difference? you have the end section and maybe the section next to it who stand anyway. it won't add anything to the ground will it? For me a waste of money.

The view is excellent, in the main, but facilities are poor.  Toilets and food kiosks are cramped and access during matches is difficult when queues build up and punters are going past for hospitality downstairs.   PA system is poor but thats not confined to the POD Stand of course. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The view is excellent, in the main, but facilities are poor.  Toilets and food kiosks are cramped and access during matches is difficult when queues build up and punters are going past for hospitality downstairs.   PA system is poor but thats not confined to the POD Stand of course. 

yeah PA system is rotten through out, Burrows has said it's something that's on the list? do you reckon if the stand was to get rebuilt we would face the same issues we did all those years with regards to sun light getting into gardens? how would we get around that?