Signings that you got wrong

fizoxy

All the talk of who we’ve signed so far, and who we’ve still to sign got me thinking of the past signings I was way off the mark on one way or the other.

Someone who I thought would be terrible - Martyn Corrigan. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t getting a game at Falkirk, so seemed like a backup at the time. It also took me a while to warm to him when he got some games.

Someone I thought was going to be awesome for us - Neil Tarrant. He was a free scoring striker for Ross County, and was on loan at Ayr when they roasted us in the Scottish Cup at fir park. He was particularly impressive. So when we signed him from villa I really thought we had got a bargain. Don’t think he played more than a couple of games.

I’m guessing that Michael Higdon might feature a lot here, but who could have predicted his huge season?

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

We didn't get that one wrong - the Club did :D.

Fair point. He’s still a legend on here for all the wrong reasons and helped create one of the longest threads we’ve ever had on a player. I also remember his ‘agent’ making a few posts as well.  Great times, great banter. 

A slightly less dark example of craziness many of us on here (myself included) got caught up in was the Abel Thermeus era of about 3 weeks. I think we had given him the nickname of “the flask” when he was just a trialist, and he quickly attained cult status only to get sent off in his first game (Killie away I think),  not to be seen again.

• Haha 1

Was convinced we'd won a watch with Lee Lucas after he ripped Ross County apart. Thought he'd basically turn into what David Turnbull is now.

I still maintain that Iain Vigurs was totally misused and was one of the best midfielders in the league at the time in the right setup.

Not a player, but when Butcher and Malpas were together, I had always assumed that Butcher was the blood-and-thunder motivator, and Malpas was the man with the tactics (thanks to his years spent playing under Jim McLean, and his high standard of play at Utd). So when Malpas took over, I expected him to do OK.

This one will surprise some folk, but when there was talk of us signing Tommy Coyne, I was dead against it.

Always saw him (particularly in his Celtic days) as a niggly, annoying wank.

Deffo got that one wrong. Only took a few games to see what he was actually capable of.

• Like 1

Thought David Ferrere was going to by dynamite after his substitute debut hat trick against Hibs but he done nothing else after that.

Also initially thought Jim Gannon was going to be a great manager for us but my opinion soon changed as it became more apparent with each passing week that he was an arrogant fruit loop who hadn't a clue what he was doing. His spat with the media and Hugh Dallas was a smokescreen for the fact that he was trying to work his ticket out the club.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

There's been a few on here with agenda's, Chris Humphries step-dad in law was also a "contributor"

Few as entertaining as Euan Murray's da, tbf.

12 hours ago, fizoxy said:

A slightly less dark example of craziness many of us on here (myself included) got caught up in was the Abel Thermeus era of about 3 weeks. I think we had given him the nickname of “the flask” when he was just a trialist, and he quickly attained cult status only to get sent off in his first game (Killie away I think),  not to be seen again.

Was going to mention abel Thermeus, I was relatively young at the time and the idea of motherwell having this french kid who had been on the books of monaco was bizarre. i remember being at rugby park for the game and i'm fairly certain it was a head butt he was sent off for? after being on the park for about 5 minutes.