Signings that you got wrong

fizoxy

13 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I think a few of us got caught up in the hammerfist hype machine on here for Esteban. That was a bizarre episode.

13 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Don’t think anyone  foreseen his agent as a paedo either

Forgot the bloke killed himself anaw

14 hours ago, Yassin said:

Was convinced we'd won a watch with Lee Lucas after he ripped Ross County apart. Thought he'd basically turn into what David Turnbull is now.

I still maintain that Iain Vigurs was totally misused and was one of the best midfielders in the league at the time in the right setup.

Vigurs is mad for the bevvy. Out in Inverness smashed all the time.

The biggest one I think I got wrong was Bigi. As a part time Coventry fan, every time I watched him down there he was brilliant. Great passer of the ball, made the team tick and was central to every piece of good play. That just didn't happen for him up here. Whilst I don't remember him being overly physical down there, I didn't think that side of the game would affect him quite as badly as it did.

I also thought Louis Laing had potential to be a really decent signing when we got him in permanently. But in hindsight, anyone who followed Mark O'Brien could have looked like Franco Baresi and Laing's well career was destroyed by an East Fife striker within a month of the season starting.

14 hours ago, Yassin said:

Was convinced we'd won a watch with Lee Lucas after he ripped Ross County apart. Thought he'd basically turn into what David Turnbull is now.

I still maintain that Iain Vigurs was totally misused and was one of the best midfielders in the league at the time in the right setup.

I think McCall's approach to recruitment that summer was mental. He signed Lawson and Vigurs, who excelled in a midfield three and then signed Sutton, who could only play in a front two. I think McCall just went out and signed the best players available to him, without a shape or a plan. I still think it's a mystery we finished second with that squad and that told with the way things went the following year.

• Like 1

When Zak Jules joined I'm ashamed to say I thought he'd be a little bit shit even before I saw him.  Got to admit I massively overestimated his ability.

On a similar note to Ross McCormack the return of Brian McClair also looked like a brilliant signing at the time.  

Zak Jules was hopeless. Remember his og at home to Dundee. Brian McClair was finished when he came back. As for con man MaCormack jeeso. I'd like to add Pearson when he came back....finished . Mc Fadden as well. Remember him trying to control a bouncing ball at Accies Park in the disasterous cup tie v Albion Rovers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Zak Jules was hopeless. Remember his og at home to Dundee. Brian McClair was finished when he came back. As for con man MaCormack jeeso. I'd like to add Pearson when he came back....finished . Mc Fadden as well. Remember him trying to control a bouncing ball at Accies Park in the disasterous cup tie v Albion Rovers.

Pearson second time round was worth it if only for the playoffs...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wee_alpha said:

I feel ashamed about this but... Davie Cooper. I thought he was past it and we would roll him out for a crucial penalty or free kick. Glad to have been so very wrong! 

No need, that was a commonly held opinion at the time - my own included. Seriously how could we blow £50K on  a has-been. First game Davie played convinced me what a gem of a player he was. 

3 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Faddy was brilliant when he returned for the first time in 2013. Him in that team with Ojamma, Law, Higdon and Humphrey was a thing of beauty. He struggled the next season when all of them left and he was never fit and when he returned again in 2015 he was clearly passed it.

56 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Faddy was brilliant when he returned for the first time in 2013. Him in that team with Ojamma, Law, Higdon and Humphrey was a thing of beauty. He struggled the next season when all of them left and he was never fit and when he returned again in 2015 he was clearly passed it.

It was the 2015 version I was meaning.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I was living in England at the time, so I’m interested to know what the general reception was at the time we signed Shaun McSkimming. He was our record signing at that point, right?

It was very much, who? For how much?

Thought John Spencer would go on to have a bigger impact than he eventually did.  I remember when we made his loan spell permanent there was a lot of media attention surrounding it.  He did a decent job but out of him and Brannan at the time Brannan was the more consistent of the two. 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I was living in England at the time, so I’m interested to know what the general reception was at the time we signed Shaun McSkimming. He was our record signing at that point, right?

I think like one or two of McLeish's "failures" the thought process behind the signing wasn't actually that far off. He had done well with Killie, seemed to have proved himself in the top flight and his career seemed to be on an upward trajectory when McLeish signed him. We were weakening a rival whilst strengthening our squad. Or at least that was the idea.

But it never quite happened. He had his moments, like the goal at Ibrox, but always seemed like no sooner did he hint at something promising then he'd get injured again.

Twardzik the keeper. I really wanted him to succeed and defended him probably too much. 

In the other direction someone who surprised me was Stephen Craigan. I was ranting when he came back from Partick. I was wrong. Corrigan was also way better than I expected.