Would you welcome a buyer for the Club

Well Well

Looking at the Hibs situation, If a multi millionaire came in offered to pay of all debt and put a 7 figure sum into the playing side would you welcome it. putting aside all the legalities of returning from a fan owned club and the appropriate levels of shares to become the owner. Just out of interest, what would be your opinion?

30 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Looking at the Hibs situation, If a multi millionaire came in offered to pay of all debt and put a 7 figure sum into the playing side would you welcome it. putting aside all the legalities of returning from a fan owned club and the appropriate levels of shares to become the owner. Just out of interest, what would be your opinion?

What is the Hibs situation? 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Given that our first millionaire drove us into administration and the second one saddled us with debt for no return i will say no.

Agree with this. While there are exceptions, millionaire buyers seem to end up as either fan-boys that are incapable of running a club, or walk away after a few years leaving the debts behind them.

The worst example is a club like Blackpool, but closer to home, Dundee Utd (and Dundee) have had pretty bad experiences on that front too.

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

But what about those who demand to know every detail of everything the club does in the immediate moment it is done, won't they be due anything?

No because if they had listened at the start they would have heard Dempster explain that it's illegal for the society to pay money to the members and that the Community Trust would be the beneficiary of any sale.

That doesn't change that the society and club need be more transparent and improve on genuine two way communication with the whole support.

I’ve often daydreamed about what I’d do if I suddenly became a multi-millionaire and, while the urge to throw it all on playing staff would no doubt be tempting, I think I’d rather spend money elsewhere. I’d give Fir Park a proper upgrade, subsidise ticket prizes to try and improve long-term crowd sizes (funnily enough had been thinking about this the week the club announced the free youth season ticket scheme) and then really spend big on youth development. I’m talking pumping Real Madrid 4-0 in the Champions League with a team of our own home-grown youngsters big, give us one of the best youth systems in Europe that regularly sells to football’s elite and provides season upon season of pure entertainment .

That’s what I’d do. :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

That doesn't change that the society and club need be more transparent and improve on genuine two way communication with the whole support.

I think we've the most transparent club out there. The club are forever interacting with fans and explaining reason for decisions they make.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

If I won the lottery I'd buy the club and install Steelboy as CEO.

Surely that would give us an unfair advantage. There must be laws against that, intellectual doping or something? We would be winning everything in sight, League, Scottish Cup, Champions League probably even the World Cup as well. 

No to cash-cow owners. The club like any business has to be able to sustain itself. Unfortunately selling seats is the only way forward for a club like ours. If only there were a way of selling more? Beggars the question of whether the OF "carry" or suffocate Scottish football? 

Edited by wellup83
For want of a better word than carry

It's a bit of an open question, it would depend on who, what are their intentions/ ambitions, how much are they willing to put into the club, do they have experience in running a club our size, what is their long term plans in terms of keeping or selling, how could they improve on the current situation with the society, what is their track record like? plus many more.