Jim Gannon - ten years on

Blakey

I vaguely remember Gannon said after his last game words along the lines of “the defenders we have will never keep a clean sheet” Brown then got us on a run of 5 clean sheets on the bounce.

The guy really lost the plot latterly and the St Johnstone game has to be one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen at fir park.

As much as some of his public spats etc. were used as a stick to beat him with, I agreed with a lot of what he was saying.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, guys like Humphrey, Jennings, coke and hately (admittedly a marmite character, but decent player for us.)

He did throw in plenty kids and appeared to be able to motivate the young players.

His inabilitiy to work with the existing senior players in the squad was his downfall.

Would make a great head scout on the face of things.

Were the youngsters not spotted cheering and rejoicing at him getting the bullet from the team minibus?

3 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Yeah was some strike,Forbes had purple  the start of that season,also remember him having a perfectly good goal ruled for offside against  the currant buns which woul have put us up 2-0......., ended up 1-1

Was Craigan’s effort not going in anyway but Forbes knocked it over the line, young Ross got the eyes that night

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

I think any manager who got the backing in the transfer market that Gannon had would have kept us up no problem. Three Premiership loans, another four signings, a core of Craigan, Hammell, Lasley and Sutton plus Murphy, Reynolds, O'Brien and more young players below them. 

Brown and Knox got a lot more out the squad when they took over. 

I agree regarding Brown and Knox but to assume that anybody could have signed players to keep us up is for me a blatant refusal to give the man any credit. 

Look at the money McLeish wasted in the transfer market as Motherwell manager. Would you have trusted him with the rebuild? 

20 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I can't really remember the financial situation at the time, was Gannon chucking money at Coke, Jennings etc or did he find these guys on a budget?

Bit of a mixture of both.

You perhaps need to go back a few years where things had been cut to the bone so much that we were almost in bother under Malpas.  When Boyle brought in McGhee he upped the budget considerably and you had the likes of Porter coming up, Hughes and Malcolm etc. until things kind of flipped again.  Gannon benefited from the likes of Quinn and Clarkson going for decent money and a lot of high earners moving on leaving him a lot of holes in the squad, but with decent means to fill them.  You also have to say he played the loan market pretty well in terms of Ruddy and Jutkiewicz. 

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Was Craigan’s effort not going in anyway but Forbes knocked it over the line, young Ross got the eyes that night

If my memory serves me right, he was a couple of yards on side as Craigan knocked the ball across,at this point the Rangers defence moved out and was nowhere near Forbes when he put it in.........can remember the "media" defending the officials ( surprise suprise) as they must have" assumed" he was offside due to the lack of defenders around him.....tv showed he was clearly onside

Found the game on you tube......unfortunately just showed the goals.....Hateley superb free kick,Reynolds goes to sleep on a cross and let's Boyd score inside 6 yard box

the pitch was a fucking disgrace

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Obviously anti Celtic but.

To stoke the fires of conspiracy theorists amongst us.

Can anyone find any footage anywhere of Lee Mccullochs elbow on Adam Cummins in the league cup game at Ibrox when they were in 3rd division?

Game was shown live on BBC, but it didn’t make the highlights and has been consigned to one grainy image online. I remember finding that bizarre at the time.

Gannon didn’t quite have a clean slate, but IIRC he had only been installed a few days before the Llanelli game at Airdrie and barely had a team as McGhee hadn’t bothered recruiting as he was waiting on his opportunity to leave.

On the one hand McGhee completely stitched us up by sitting on his hands all summer, but what would Gannon have done if he turned up with a squad full of McGhee signings and no room to bring in his own guys?

Very much the right guy at the right time, maybe a bit of a shame it went south so quickly.

(like Barraclough being the right man for play off)

• Like 1

An enigmatic manager who quickly decided he didn't want to stay.  The exact opposite of present imcumbent Sir Stephen Robinson in footballing terms.  Gannon's footballing philosophy was spot on but the problem was he didn't have the calibre of player to carry it out.  Robbo has said that his style of play is dependent on the quality of player he has available.  

Despite the fact he was definetly a bit of a loose cannon and it was best for him to go at the time as he didn't seem committed I quite enjoyed his time in charge in a way.

Had a good eye for a player and brought some good additions to the squad. Also gave the youth a chance though sometimes too much.  Laid the foundations as well for the likes of Craig Brown and Stuart McCall to have success with the European qualifications.

Enjoyed the European run that season and felt like a bit of an achievement in a way winning two ties and drawing Steaua when you consider the mess we were in when McGhee left us first time. 

One of my favourite stories of Gannon was hearing he had the blazing row on the team bus at Port Vale and was dropped off the bus at the next service station.  Also the one about the dispute with the sky box as well.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Been reading this thread with interest and there are varying opinions regarding Gannon, but for me he was a clueless fud and well out of his depth re coaching and man management, so we were well rid of him in the end. :nod:

A clueless fud who managed to put out a team of young boys that ripped Steaua Bucharest apart.......

My recollection of the game was that it was pretty much one way traffic and it was only a matter of when the 2nd goal was going to come. As Andy P says, that would have made it very interesting.

I think Im right in saying they got a dodgy penalty which was converted and took the wind right out of our sails and gave them encouragement.

Regardless. The point still stands. Gannon might have been bonkers. But he wasnt a clueless fud. Those European games were some of the best football Ive seen ftom a Motherwell team in recent years and followed into the start of the league campaign.

Unfortunately it didnt last long  before he pressed the self destruct button.